PV expertise needed

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PV expertise needed

Traveling hopefully next march/april to PV with 5 and 3 yr old. Wish to avoid younger crowd. Want to be semi-secluded from downtown but not inconveniently isolated by a long drive. Looking for jr suite accomodations for family with pool/beach. APpreciate living amongst the native culture versus "touristy" spots. I would appreciate location/lodging advice and sights to see. budget of about 5000 for flight/car/hotel, 1500 for meals and day activities for about five days

Thank you.
Jen
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Honestly I can't think of any place in Puerto Vallarta that fulfills all you ask for.

Avoiding the younger crowd is easy, PV really doesn't draw that kind of spring-breakers except possiblly at some of the all-inclusive party type resorts or if you go to Hard Rock cafe or Senor Frogs, for example.

Living among local people can be found on the southside and inland a bit, but that is not on the beach nor would the apartment be likely to have a pool.

To avoid a long drive, simply do not look into Nuevo Vallarta or Bucerias which are areas to the north of town 1/2 - 1 hour drive.

I don't mean to be discouraging because I love PV dearly and know the town fairly well. Maybe if you said which are the more important (i.e., would prefer a local neighborhood even if it was 8 blocks from the beach OR must be on the beach realizing there will be lots of other tourists there too).

Maybe something to the south of town like the Dreams resort (formerly Camino Real) or la Jolla de Mismaloya? I've seen a couple recent posts on Mismaloya and reports from families who enjoyed it there.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

thank you suze...What is important to me honestly is that after a long day we come back to a place that is going to allow us to feel like we can rest, I hate feeling couped up in a small hotel room......I don't mind NOT being on a beach. Appreciate being able to walk outside the hotel and feel safe and accessible to the good things the city has to offer
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Away from the beach there are many apartments for rent, but I'm not sure they'll have pools. You can find these in local neighborhoods that are primarily Mexican families not tourists.

Anywhere near or on the beach within the town of PV is going to be quite "touristy" it's just the nature of the place.

Molino de Agua is a beautiful hotel in downtown that is very "Mexican" in atmosphere. I believe they have suites available.

I have alwanever felt unsafe on my visits anywhere within PV.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:58 AM

I agree with 'suze' an apartment/condo may be better for you, here's a list of some
http://vallartainfo.com/rent.html
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:32 AM

oops i meant...
always felt safe or
never felt unsafe
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:44 AM

I also plan on going to PV in late Feb. Possibly renting in Conchas Chinas (5 min drive to town). Is it recommended to rent a car or can I just taxi around while I am there (for one week only)? Also, If I do rent a car...should I buy the insurance the rental companies always try to sell which is not necessary in some places if you rent with Amer Exp?
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:11 AM

i think a car would be more hassle than convenience. just taxi around, they are plentiful and very reasonably priced.

maybe a car for one day if you wanted to drive outside town and head north or south along the coast?
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Has anyone taken a day-trip from PV to Yelapa or Bucerias? I'm looking for a nice beach, shopping, restaurants, exploring, etc. Any other suggestions within a boat ride's distance of PV?