Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Sansa Airline/SJO Airport Hotel/Quepos Car (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/sansa-airline-sjo-airport-hotel-quepos-car-442266/)

AustinTraveler Sep 30th, 2008 12:25 PM

Sansa Airline/SJO Airport Hotel/Quepos Car

We will be arriving at SJO at noon and flying Sansa to Quepos. I am wondering which Sansa flight to reserve. In other words, how much time will we need after we arrive in San Jose to go to Sansa and catch our flight?

Also, we will be returning to SJO the following Sunday afternoon and flying out early Monday morning. Where would be the best place to stay?

Lastly, what is a good company in Quepos to get a rental car?

Thanks so much!!

Pat_Hewitt Sep 30th, 2008 12:36 PM

When is your trip? If it is before late November, I would not recommend that you try to fly the same day. Sansa flies their "green season" schedule until that time. The last flight leaves at around 2:00 PM.

Noon is a busy time at SJO. There are at least three daily flights that get in around that time, and they swamp customs and immigration.

Sansa wants you to check in 45 minutes ahead of time as well, and you have to walk outside to another terminal.

I usually tell my clients to allow at least three hours for flight delays, customs hassles, etc. Even then, there are no guarantees. You will only be able to do this during high season with a noon arrival.

The other thought is that you can spend the night near the airport, and catch an early flight to the beach. If you stick with the original plan you are not going to get any beach time that first day anyway.

Spend the first night in San Jose, and your travel will be much less stressful. The hotel will probably be cheaper than at the beach, and San Jose has a lot more going on for nightlife than the beach does.

There are several choices around the airport. You will see lots of recommendations for Orquideas Inn. That is usually my first choice both for myself, and my guests.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)

AustinTraveler Sep 30th, 2008 12:48 PM

Sorry, we are traveling next April, on Easter Sunday (the 12th).

Thanks for the hotel recommendation!

volcanogirl Sep 30th, 2008 03:02 PM

We've had our time in customs and immigration take anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours, depending on length of lines, flights coming in etc. Our flights coming in have also always been delayed, which makes it hard to get a connecting flight. Sansa is right next door to the SJO airport which makes it tempting though!

We stayed at Grano De Oro in SJO and really liked it. Check out www.tripadvisor.com for pics and reviews. It has a great restaurant on-site as well. Orquideas Inn gets really good reviews too.

AustinTraveler Oct 2nd, 2008 05:19 AM

Thanks for the info VolcanoGirl. That hotel looks great but it doesn't appear to be close to the airport. I'm really looking for a place close by as our flight leaves at 7:00 a.m.

Oh, does anyone know if we need the extra insurance (and if so, which one) for a rental car. Usually we decline it because our AmEx covers, but not sure how it works in CR.

Thanks again everyone.

volcanogirl Oct 2nd, 2008 07:18 AM

Yep, GdO was about 20 minutes from the airport; Orquideas is probably a good bet for you. Have fun!

AustinTraveler Oct 2nd, 2008 09:08 AM

Thanks! We'll definitely have fun, and look where we're staying:

http://www.flyingtoucans.com/

Not too shabby!!

Can't wait!!!

volcanogirl Oct 2nd, 2008 09:13 AM

That looks awesome. I'd love to read your trip report when you get back.

AustinTraveler Oct 2nd, 2008 11:53 AM

I will definitely be posting a trip report. Now, if April would just hurry up and get here!!

hipvirgochick Oct 2nd, 2008 06:47 PM

I like Hotel Villa Bonita. It's a great little B & B about 5 min from the airport. Very affordable, friendly owners.

5swissmiss Oct 9th, 2008 06:03 AM

AustinTraveler

Easter is a busy week flying into and out of SJO and Quepos...have done it 2x.

Recommend to book your Sansa flights now. Agree with Pat regarding the stay in SJO the first night. Delays happen all the time and there is no reason to be frazzled. Even with a direct flight. Orchidas Inn is a nice place to start a trip.

As far as the hotel for your last nights stay. We have stayed at the Hampton Inn. Very close to the airport and offers free shuttle service.

Have a great trip