Sansa Air

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sansa Air

I'm making a second trip to Flamingo but am opting to fly from SJO as opposed to drive. Can anyone tell me about SANSA. I have no issue with the small planes or baggage restrictions. In the past I've chartered flights in Brasil but since they were private, they had to accomodate my schedule.

I've got 4 people flying in from Miami and have about an hour and a ahlf window to catch the SANSA flight. Is SANSA in the same terminal at SJO?

Should I book the tickets or should I let an agent who is doing some other things for me do it (anything he does seems to come at a much higher price)?

I'm also struggling with whether to rent a SUV in Tamarindo/Flamingo or just rely on transfers. Another 4 are flying direct to Liberia and then on to Flamingo. Eventually, while the guys fish the girls will head to Arenal/Tabacon and the guys will catch up later. Right now the transfer costs are much higher than a car rental but I've read that the drive to Arenal can be a little "exciting".

I enjoy reading the posts and thanks for the help...
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:12 PM

My one and only experience with SANSA was horrible. I took a SANSA flight March 5, 2005 and it was a nightmare. My flight was from Tamrindo to SJO and it was just a calamity of errors. I should have listened to the recommendation in the Frommer's 2005 Guide book which was to stick with Nature Air. My trip is detailed on my posting titled "March 2005 Costa Rica Trip Report". The Tobias Bolano Airport is just a taxi cab ride away.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:39 PM

The Sansa terminal is approx a 5 min walk from the main terminal. When you exit the terminal where all the taxi's are, go left & walk along the airport property. I think the last bldg you pass before Sansa is the fire bldg.

I'd go online & check what their prices are per flight, then either book it yourself or have your hotel book them.

Last year I booked Sansa to Quepos and Nature Air back to San Jose. The Sansa flight was fine, the Nature Air flight never bothered to pick me up. The rep told me Sansa would take me & then left; meanwhile Sansa said they didn't know anything about it. Luckily Sansa took me and I wasn't that late to the airport. So between the 2 airlines, I'd say it's really a toss-up, I'm sure both have screw-ups. But I do find that Sansa has more flights per day.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both you folks!

I intitially went to the Nature Air site but I got an e-mail response stating that their latest flight was at 1 pm local... We wouldn't be able to make it.

We are hooking up with 4 others that have dorect flights to Liberia and sending the heavy luggage with them (I'm taking 3 friends with my AA miles and couldn't swing the Liberia portion) so I just need the physical seats to get to Tam after we arrive SJO.

I'll cast my lot with Sansa and worst case we'll get a car and make the drive.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:41 AM

After we arrived at the San Jose airport we waited in the immigration line for over an hour. A family behind us had to catch a Sansa flight so people just let them through. On our way home, I noticed that there was no line for immigration but grew quite long as we waitted for our departure. I guess it's just how you hit it, and hopefully if it is long, people will let you through.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:29 PM

I flew Sansa a couple weeks ago between San Jose and Palmar Sur and had no trouble. I wasn't too thrilled with the Sansa "terminal" in SJO. It was cramped with very little seating. Fortunately I didn't have to spend too much time there. I've heard Nature Air's terminal is much nicer.