Search

San Pedro snorkeling with kids

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Pedro snorkeling with kids

Hello,

My family is traveling to Belize and will be staying at Banyan Bay for four nigths in mid-August. We will have two children with us: one, a 7-year-old who is a strong swimmer; the other, a 5-year-old who has just learned to swim in the past month (just got over her fear of being under water, and now LOVES it).

My question is:

Will it be possible for the youngest to snorkel anywhere in San Pedro? If it is possible for an adult to stand and hold her, her daddy and I are willing to do it. We were hoping for a trip to Hol Chan, but don't know if the water will be shallow enough for her (or for us) to stand anywhere.

She is VERY excited about the idea of seeing colorful fish, and is even pointing out and identifying clown fish and parrot fish on screen savers at local computer stores. We would LOVE to help her see the real thing, in an ocean environment.

Thanks so much for your advice--
Susan
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:05 PM

Hol Chan may be a little more than your kids are ready for, though if they are indeed good swimmers and not afraid of the water they will do fine most anywhere. Currents can be fairly strong around Hol Chan, though. My kids when they were young were freaked out by the sharks and sting rays at Shark-Ray Alley, a part of Hol Chan.

Your kids certainly could snorkel from shore at Banyan Bay and elsewhere. They won't see much, but it'll give them some experience. Possibly Mexico Rocks would be better, but being so short young kids are not going to be able to stand up anywhere away from shore.

--Lan Sluder
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:39 AM

You have a few options being that the currents at Hol Chan can be strong. Glass bottom boat, from which they can see the marine and reef life below from the boat and get out into the water. I find the guides to be very attentive to snorkelers who need extra help. Talk to the operator and let them know the kids will need special attention. The guide can pull them around while they are in a life vest and/or holding onto a life ring. Or you can do the same with a floatation device. You can stand at Shark Ray and hold the kids. Other places to snorkel like Mexico Rocks, etc which will be easier for kids.

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 06:18 AM

Hi Again Suz,

Like I said, my husband & I just returned last week from Belize. We also stayed at Banyan Bay, it was nice, however if you are staying in a beachfront 2 bedroom do not let them put you in G4! The king size bed is scooped in the middle and was extremely uncomforable!

But to the snorkeling, as Lan said the kids can snorkel right off the beach there, but not much to see. We did a 1/2 day to Mexico rocks which would be fine (i think) for your beginner. There were two kids on our tour (they were around 10, and rested on the ring that the guide carrys with him). We also did the full day to Caye Caulker, snorkeled at Hol Chan and Shark Raye alley, it was awesome, however, as someone stated earlier the current was quite strong at Hol chan. Not bad, but you would have to probably help your daughter along w/a vest for sure. It started at approx 6ft of water then near the reef at 30ft. shark ray no problem, only about 5 ft of water there. The sharks and rays are pretty big, so it might freak out the kids a little. Pretty awesome though. Enjoy! I can't wait for my next trip to Belize. Again, if you have any other questions, the memory is still fresh, I'll be happy to help!

Oh, for great dinners (although expensive) Victoria House and Capricorns are a must! If you have to choose one, Capricorn is on the other side of the island and had a more relaxed, outdoor atmosphere. The kids would probably enjoy the ride out there.

Jeannine
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 07:08 AM
TC

We stayed at Banyan Bay. I agree with all that has been said. Nothing to see from the beach there. Its very weedy. I think your 5yr old will be freaked out at Hol Chan if she's just gotten over being afraid of the water. I was freaked out by the boat ride to get there. Getting through the breaker cut can be very scary in the right/wrong weather conditions.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 12:33 PM
mnf

Hi - we were just there in March with our 4 year old. He is a good swimmer and snorkeler. He snorkeled on the inside of part of Hol Chan with a guide while DH and I dove beneath. He loved it and loved being tickled by our air bubbles. He also snorkeled with us in Shark Ray Alley but was a little afraid by the size of the critters! (They are HUGE) We also went to a spot really close to shark -ray that had turtles. He really liked that.

His favorite thing in San Pedro was riding around in the golf cart! and the flight from Belize City.