Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   San Jose to Sarchi (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/san-jose-to-sarchi-747484/)

luvtravelin Nov 8th, 2007 06:09 PM

San Jose to Sarchi

The 1st day that we arrive in Costa Rica we will have 1/2 day by the time we get out of the airport and to our hotel - Marriot.

In this 1/2 day - can we see San Jose and Sarchi? How would we get to Sarchi from San Jose or from the Marriot? How much time should we allow for each - San Jose and Sarchi? If we can only do 1 - which is better?

shillmac Nov 8th, 2007 08:05 PM

This is a tough question, and I wish we'd mentioned times. So often, in our experience at least,
what looked as if it would be half day ends up being 2-3 hours! Always frustrating!

Sarchi is about an hour from the airport area, maybe a little bit less, but probably not. You'd probably want about 2 hours there at least.

San Jose is about 20 min away, but a nuisance to navigate. You really need to have a decent knowledge of the area of town you want to visit. I think, if I were you, I'd hire a taxi to go into San Jose, have them drop you off at the Plaza de la Cultura. From there you can visit the Teatro Nacional, perhaps the Gold Museum, walk the Avenida Central pedestrian mall down to the Mercado Central--all in a very close general area. Grab a return taxi back at the Plaza de la Cultura when you're ready to return to the hotel. It would be worth your time.

Hard to say which would be better, but you won't be able to do both in the same afternoon.

shillmac Nov 8th, 2007 08:07 PM

Good grief. I wish YOU'D mentioned times, not "we"! :)

I should add that, if you feel you really will have a good 5-6 hours, you might want to couple a visit to Sarchi with a little time in Grecia (on the way to Sarchi). Grecia has a pretty metal church and a clean little downtown area. Just head west on the Interamerican and take the Grecia exit.

luvtravelin Nov 9th, 2007 06:32 AM

Thanks for responding. Well as far as times we will be there, our flight lands at 11 a.m. But you are right - we might not really have a 1/2 day. Incase the flight is late, by the time we get our luggage,etc.

So the plan is to check in to our hotel which is the Marriot in alajuela.

I did some research and it seems like there are buses that go to both San Jose and Sarchi, but the bus stop is on 2nd ave, and I think the marriot is on 14th. So taxi is probably the best idea to get around. Sounds like Sarchi will be too far and we will be left with no time to sitesee. So maybe we will stick to ONLY San Jose.

What interests me about sarchi was the handicraft shopping. Can I get the same crafts in San Jose, Arenal or Monteverde??

sylviam Nov 9th, 2007 07:06 AM

Sorry to hijack your post luvtrvelin but we are also planning to spend 1/2 day in Sarchi but it would be on a Sunday. I am wondering if shops will be open on Sunday? Anyone know?

luvtravelin Nov 9th, 2007 08:24 AM

No need to apologize! I'd like to know the answer to this as well since I will be in San Jose on a Sat and Sun.

Cimbrone Nov 9th, 2007 11:26 AM

I thought Sarchi was a tourist trap selling painted wooden crap. I'd just stick to San Jose.