Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia ; Atacama Desert, Chile; and Cusco, Peru (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/salar-de-uyuni-bolivia-atacama-desert-chile-and-cusco-peru-769472/)

SmileyKrn Feb 25th, 2009 06:59 AM

Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia ; Atacama Desert, Chile; and Cusco, Peru

I am planning for my upcoming summer in Peru (South America). I am planning on going from Cusco to Lake Titicaca and then onwords to La Paz, Boivia. I would like to go on an excursion to the Salt Plains (Salar de Uyuni). It is my understanding that I would be in San Pedro, Chile at the end of my tour. Is this correct? Is San Pedro in the Atacama Desert? Any suggestions on returning to Cusco, Peru (my homebase for the summer)? I am traveling solo, but will be joining a tour(s) to do activities. I have lost my sense of direction while researching this intinerary and uncertain how to get back to Cusco. Timeline advice would also be helpful. I have been visiting Peru for the past two summers and have wanted to see the Salt Plains.

flintstones Feb 25th, 2009 10:49 AM

well, I am not quite sure where you will start. By your questions it seems to be that you will land at UYUNI from an UFO. Anyway... you can flight from...Where are you from?
If you were from the States to LA PAZ and from there to take a bus to ORURO, and from there a bus or train to UYUNI. You can do a tour from UYUNI which ends in San Pedro de Atacama buit that is much more complicated to get back...
or to TUPIZA, and then from TUPIZA youc an take a train to ORURO again and to LA PAZ a bus again.
To go to Cuzco or MAchu Pichu you should take a bus to COPACABANA (about 4 hours) and then to PUNO... and I have not much info about PERU as I just reached there. Anyway, I hope to help you.
Flintstones....

flintstones Feb 25th, 2009 11:15 AM

I suggest to get in contact with
E-mail: [email protected], [email protected] (conexión con messager)
WEB: www.tupizatours.com
I had customers who took their tours and it is highly recommended ...
Flintstones...

SmileyKrn Feb 25th, 2009 11:17 AM

Thanks Flintstones...
I had not come across Tupiza as an ending point and was becoming overwhelmed with trying to return to Cusco. It appears that I can take a train straight to La Paz and I can handle it from then on (or so I think) :)
Let me know if you have any questions about Peru, I may be able to help. I have spent my last two summers in Peru and hoping to explore Lake Titicaca and its surrounds (into Bolivia). Peru is a fantastic country.
Thanks Again!

sandy_b Feb 25th, 2009 03:41 PM

A friend and I traveled in Bolivia a summer or two ago and did the Uyuni trip . . . I typed up my travelog and would be happy to email it to you if you want . . . it's very detailed . . . email me at [email protected] if interested.

Buen viaje,
Sandy (in Denton)