Safety Mexico City (Polanco, Santa Fe)

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Mexico City (Polanco, Santa Fe)

I will be spending a couple of months in Mexico City: working in Santa Fe and will have an apartment in Polanco. I have heard so many crime stories about Mexico City that I am frankly quite concerned about safety.

Can anyone who really knows the area tell me how dangerous it really is? In particular, those 2 areas of town.

Thank you.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 11:27 AM

If you will be working in the "Centro de Ciudad" Santa Fe, there are no problems walking from the office to any of the restaurants or Starbucks during the daytime. However, if I am by myself, I do not walk through the (treeless) park, not because of danger from humans but because many stray dogs live there. After about 8pm the whole area is quite deserted and I would not walk there.

The story for Polanco is similar. On weekends in the daytime there will be lots of people walking, you'll be fine as long as you stay where there are other people. At night, you generally drive (or take a cab) to the restaurant or mall or movie theatre, use valet parking, and drive home again. It just isn't a pedestrian city like NYC or Paris or London.

If you are a runner, I recommend joining a gym, there are many in both Polanco and Santa Fe. Sidewalk conditions are not the best and vehicle traffic has no respect for pedestrians.

You should leave expensive watches, jewelry, etc at home.

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!

This is great information.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Lovesprada said it all

You could use weekends to get your bearings on areas near your apartment. Polanco is normally safe I can imagine your co-workers will give you useful tips. There are so many excellent restaurants in both areas that you will never get bored!

And don't forget to eat Tacos de Canasta and Memelas with a lot of salsa!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Hello bluecats:

Since last year, my boss (a Belgian) lives in Santa Fe and our office is in "Colonia Del Valle". I can tell you that he has gotten used to the city very quick and has no problem anywhere he goes. From Polanco to Santa Fe is a great area to move. You basically have everything on hand. When you are here, give me a call and I can give you more details. If you are not going to drive a car, I have a friend (taxi driver)that can take you everywhere in a safe manner. We use his services all the time for our foreigner visitors to our office. My mobile is +52-55-54081006. If you call me from México City you should dial 044-55-54081006.

Hope this helps.

Fernando
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:41 PM

We always stay in the Polanco district, and all that you have read above is true. If I could stress any one thing, though, I would emphasize that there is no "yield-to-pedestrians" going on, so it truly is every man for himself. You will enjoy, though.