Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Safety in Mexico-yet again (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/safety-in-mexico-yet-again-469040/)

epi Aug 22nd, 2004 11:12 AM

Safety in Mexico-yet again

I hope this hasn't been done to death, but I have to ask again. We have been to Mexico 3 times, and loved it. Once we drove around the Yucatan ourselves, once to Mexico City, and last year to Puerta Vallarta. We would like to go to Mexico City again ( we loved it) and to Oaxaca. My concern is that my niece, who travels on business frequently to Mexico and to various South american countries, who speaks Spanish perfectly, and lived in Mexico City for a year, has said that she would not choose to travel to Mexico now, if not for business, because of safety concerns. Can anyone make me feel comfortable taking this trip after this warning from a non-alarmist person?

Dude Aug 22nd, 2004 01:42 PM

Mexico City caution is advised. I go to Oaxaca at least once a year as recently as June. Saftey did not seem to be more of an issue than it ever has. Oaxaca still seems to be a fairly safe city. We talked to Oaxaca friends, folks at language school, and traveled around like usual. Our experiences and folks we talked to did not indicate any particular crime problems.

RobertSDF Aug 22nd, 2004 04:22 PM

I agree with Dude's post. Caution is always in order in Mexico City, just as it is in many major world cities. However, I have no safety concerns about going to other parts of Mexico.

TioGringo Aug 23rd, 2004 03:39 PM

Ya know, despite the stories you sometimes hear about crime in Mexico City, I've *never* really felt threatened there. I tend to stick to "safer" parts of the beaten tourist track though---Chapultepec, Polanco, Coyoacan, Zocalo, etc.

RobertSDF is right. Normal caution. But I'd still go back in a heartbeat. I *LOVE* D.F.!!

Buen viaje, amigo!
Mark

JohnK Aug 23rd, 2004 04:07 PM

Hi epi,
Your niece is right and I'm curious why you're looking for someone to make you feel more comfortable. The truth is that Mexico City has a very high crime rate. I've visited many times and have never had a negative incident. On the other hands I have two friends (Mexicans) who have been "express" kidnapped and another friend (American) who was mugged right in the metro while a crowd looked on.

Ryberg Aug 24th, 2004 08:27 AM

Unless you're talking about Mexico CITY -- and there can be some considerable confusion on this point, as Mexicans refer to Mexico CITY simply as "Mexico" (often referring to mexico the COUNTRY as "el pais") -- then I certainly would disagree with both your niece and the previous poster. Your niece's view is almost certainly heavily colored by her experience.

Look at it this way: if someone lives in the Bronx for a year and then goes back to his/her home country and advises against traveling to America because it's dangerous, you'd think, "Ah, but that's skewing the truth of the matter." I submit that that is parallel to the situation here with your niece.

I have lived in Mexico now for 4 years, all in the Yucatan (a year in Merida, another in Cancun and two here in Playa del Carmen), and neither I nor anyone in my family have ever during that time experienced some kind of crime-related danger. I saw more of that living in a decent Chicago neighborhood for 2 years in the 90s than I've seen here in 4 years.

Steve

epi Aug 24th, 2004 10:02 AM

Thanks for all the replies. My take home message is that most of Mexico is fine, with the usual precautions which work anywhere, and that mexico city is riskier. (Steve, this is indeed where my niece travels now). When we were in Mexico City about 10 years ago, we took any cab, walked anywhere and our biggest concern was being cheated by cab drivers. It seems that now we should be more careful, sticking to cabs from good hotels etc, if we spend time in Mexico city.

Ryan Aug 25th, 2004 05:11 AM

This was an interesting article from last summer regarding crime in Mexico City. My firm distributed it as some of us occassionally head there for business.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...5793_db017.htm

marilynl Aug 25th, 2004 07:23 AM

You can also use cabs called by retaurants, etc., or those from Sitio stands around the city. Other than that, observe regular big city precautions and except to have a great time in Mexico City!

sol_veracruzano Aug 30th, 2004 02:00 PM

Safety in Mexico City

Dangerous places in Mexico or at New York are no brainers, you just don't drive there.

Being in the touristy spots in Mexico city (Polanco, Zona Rosa, Reforma , some places in La Condesa)is a safe bet. And having the receptionist ask for a taxi (Taxi Autorizado)is playing safe.

I live in Puebla and hear horror stories but they tipically happened in the wrong place at the wrong time.