Notices

Safety in Guatemla/Quetzaltenago?

Jan 6th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Safety in Guatemla/Quetzaltenago?

We are planning a trip this spring with a high school group (around 30 students) to Xela and the surrounding areas. We will do a home stay and daily classes at a school. My question is what do I tell the parents who are very worried about safety issues and the high crime rate in Guatemala? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Have traveled extensively through Mexico, but never to Guatemala.
Jan 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Although it's not my favorite area of Guatemala (I'm not much of a city person) I don't hear much about crime in that area on any of the forums I frequent. As with any large city there are likely areas to be avoided; the school should be able to orient you that way.

As to what to tell parents, I'm not sure. If they read the state department warnings I'm afraid nothing you say will convince them it's safe. I've only traveled with teenagers in a group when they had a parent in the group, too - sorry I can't help more. My groups are mostly teachers but we've had a couple of their awesome kids join us. Keep us posted!

Search this Thread