Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Safety in Central Mexico (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/safety-in-central-mexico-895960/)

JoanneH Jun 22nd, 2011 09:15 AM

Safety in Central Mexico

I have just returned from a trip to central Mexico covering the area from Guadalajara to slightly south of Zamora. The trip was great and I saw lots of wonderful things, visiting many old friends. However I was surprised at the safety precautions my friends as well as myself had to take on a daily basis. We were in Morelia shopping the day 21 were gunned down in the street. We did not see or hear any of it but were unable to get back to our vehicle for a couple of hours.

So heads up when you travel in Mexico be on the alert at all times.

qwovadis Jun 23rd, 2011 04:52 AM

Travel.state.gov Mexico lots of dodgy areas now

Tourist enclaves like Cancun still pretty safe for me

Carib or visitcostarica.com lots better choice right now for me

pvred Jun 27th, 2011 06:58 AM

I just returned to the US after living 12 years in Puerto Vallarta. I left because it has become almost as dangerous as the rest of the country. I know Mexico very well * I lived there since 71) and let me tell you that Mexico doesn't want us there. They want our money but hate Americans. I speak Spanish fluently and understand the culture, which one has to in order to understand the people. Unfortunatly most Americans can't really understand the Mexican mentality. As a tourist there you have absolutly no rights, regardless of what the law says. The law in Mexico is only for some Mexicans (the priveledged) and certainly not Americans.
If you go and have problems, don't say I didn't warn you. If you don't have problems, consider yourself lucky!

cabron Jun 27th, 2011 07:08 AM

Well, I must be lucky, I've lived here for 18 years and I disagree completely with pvred, maybe because I'm not American?
What area did you live in, did I know you?

pvred Jun 27th, 2011 07:15 AM

Cabron. I knew a lot of cabrones in PV you could very well have been one! You're not American-- that's what I said, Mexicans hate Americans so you not being one didn't see that side. Where are you from? I find it curious that you call yourself "Cabron" which in English means bastard.

suze Jun 27th, 2011 09:58 AM

<Mexicans hate Americans>

That is the craziest thing I had read on this forum in a LONG time, and that's saying something. pvred, Maybe they just didn't like YOU?

pvred Jun 28th, 2011 03:57 AM

Suze. Maybe you're right but, at least one major and well respected news organization in Mexico conducted a survey after 9/11 and found that 78% of Mexicans were happy that we were attacked and thought we deserved it! Unless you speak the language fluently and know the culture you can't understand the mentality. My wife is Mexican and she knows this to be true. Remenber I never said all Mexicans, but most feel this way. Thank God my wife doesn't.

suze Jun 28th, 2011 06:13 AM

I don't believe that "most feel this way" either.

No I don't speak fluent Spanish and yes I have only been a tourist in Puerto Vallarta (many many times). I have *always* without fail received a warm welcome from the local people there. If they really all hate Americans, I've got to say they are putting on one heck of an act with their friendliest to me on a daily basis.

suze Jun 28th, 2011 06:23 AM

To the original topic, the 21 people gunned down on the street in Morelia would have been something Mexican against Mexican in origin, right? not Mexicans against Americans?

I think JoanneH's reminder to be alert when you travel is a fair one. I just disagree Mexicans hate Americans as a general attitude to be found.

pvred Jun 28th, 2011 08:35 AM

Suze do you read English? I didn't say all Mexicans as you quoted me. Please don't put words in my mouth. If you disagree with me state your reasons without misquoting me or lying, Second, PV's only industry is tourism, of course they seem warm and friendly. They're not stupid, they know that we are their meal ticket. Many times I've overheard conversations in Spanish, by staff at hotels, restaurants, etc., when they don't think tourists hear or understand.Please understand what I am saying, This is not an overt sentiment, but well hidden to all but natives. They even talk about Mexicans from other cities like Guadalajara and Monterrey, whom they very much dislike and refer to in a derogatory manner. Feeling this way toward their own kind, imagine how they feel about us Americans, not to mention the Canadians.

suze Jun 28th, 2011 10:39 AM

<I didn't say all Mexicans>

No, you said "MOST Mexicans".

I "understand" what you are saying. I simply disagree that MOST of the local people working in the PV tourist industry are faking their friendliness day in and day out for a meal ticket. Andyes I have had this conversation with locals myself, in English, but have asked their side of the story. Some resent the tourists, but a larger percentage sees it as a good thing bringing in jobs for people to support their families and have a better way of life, that would not happen without the influx of tourist dollars.

pvred Jun 28th, 2011 04:52 PM

My grandpa used to say, "You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink". Suze, my innocent, keep your rose tinted view and don't broaden your understanding. Like Americans everywhere we go and spend or send financial aid to, people love our money, NOT US. If we as a nation would learn this lesson, then maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't be taken advantage of so frequently. What do you think the phrase "ugly American" means? How did it come about? In large part by being the ignorant American. We don't understand other peoples and that's why we buy so much from countries that don't trade fairly with us, ie. China. And that's also why we can't beat them at war, ie. Iraq, Iran, Afganistan, Pakistan, Korea, Vietnam, etc, etc. Only when we truly understand other mentalities can we deal with them in kind and gain their respect. And that is where peace will come from.

suze Jun 29th, 2011 06:27 AM

You might want to change your screen name.

Fra_Diavolo Jun 29th, 2011 06:56 AM

@pvred --Or, since you're really just engaged in a political and cultural rant, take it to the Sewer -- err, I mean Lounge.