Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Safety in Buenos Aires? Normal precation like in most big cities, I presume? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/safety-in-buenos-aires-normal-precation-like-in-most-big-cities-i-presume-388650/)

maletas Jan 18th, 2004 03:15 AM

Safety in Buenos Aires? Normal precation like in most big cities, I presume?

Normal precautions. I could edit the title of this post. Sorry. Is that the case? Take remis-radio taxi, dont carry or flash money, watch your surroundings? When I was there last it was June, 2000 and being their winter, I wore a coat that covered my pockets. Plus I didnt really stick out as a tourist. Now, I'm going in Feb which is summer and intend to wear shorts and other summer wear. I dont want to stick out like a tourist-target but I want to be comfortable. What do Porteños wear to keep cool? If it sounds like Im obsessing about this, I'm definitely not. I'd just like an up-date. Gracias. I cant wait to go!!!!! 4 more weeks.

drdawggy Jan 18th, 2004 11:49 AM

I go to BA 4-5 times per year. Two years ago I didn't take a single pair of shorts, since in many Latin American countries men who wear shorts reallly stick out....silly me....The influence in Buenos Aires is entirely different...unless you are doing business, shorts are ok....especially in a residential neighborhood like Palermo....

ps...I keep bumping into your posts...you really must be getting excited about your trip! lol

jjmba Jan 18th, 2004 02:57 PM

But is it safe?

Lfscm Jan 18th, 2004 07:32 PM

Hi, I my experience it is safe with normal precautions.
Most people are very nice once they know you are a tourist but as a whole is better to mingle and to look like as local as much as possible.

drdawggy Jan 19th, 2004 01:57 AM

I go to the area you will be in regularly when I am in Buenos Aires. In winter I wear jeans. In summer, shorts during the day and khakis at night. I have never been bothered by taking the normal precautions you mentioned in your initial post....especially radio taxis after dark!

jjmba Jan 19th, 2004 07:11 AM

Thanks -- I'm going in March and am getting excited. Can you recommend any good places to try Argentine beef in the area?

drdawggy Jan 20th, 2004 02:31 AM

jjmba....By the area do you mean all of Buenos Aires or the area near where you will be staying? There are some fabulous places to enjoy steak in Buenos Aires, many of them modest parrillas tucked away in neighborhoods. As well, there are some expense-account Ruth Chris Steakhouse establishments that serve up a good slab of beef.....

Here are just a couple of options. There are thousands!

1880 Parrilla. 1665 Defensa, San Telmo.
A modest Parilla with tons of charm. Memorabilla line the walls of this historic Parrilla. Friendly staff, great food, reasonably priced wine (try the Casona de Lopez Cab or Malbec).

In Puerto Madero you will pay more, but there is fine, waterfront dining available in several locations...most noteably the venerable Cabana las Lilas, but also in Happening, Rosada among others....

In Retiro, try El Mirasol....en La Recova de las Posadas (near the 4 seasons hotel). There are about 20 restaurants clustered in this small area. El Mirasol is the place for beef.

In downtown, try El Establo on Paraguay...just a block or so off the Florida pedestrian mall. Great steak dinner for about 35 pesos.....

Venturing further out, try a neighborhood eatery in Palermo called Tzolkin, on Jorge luis Borges 2088. Succulant steak, reasonable price.

This should be enough to get you started.....