Search

Safety In Belize

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety In Belize

I am going on my honeymoon to Belize for two weeks in February. We already made reservations for 4 nights in Chaa Creek, 4 nights in Blancaneaux and 6 nights in Turtle Inn. We rented a car for the whole time as well. My question is if it is dangerous to drive through anywhere in Belize? We are arriving into the airport in Belize City and then renting the car directly from there and will then be on our own. Should we be nervous about this? Also, I like to run. Is it safe for me to run around the perimeters of these resorts?
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Safe to drive and safe to run on property or off. You'll feel a high degree of personal safety in Belize. I drive these roads all the time and know them well.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Katie! That makes me feel much better!
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:33 AM

My husband and I spent a week driving through Belize in early Dec. We have traveled through countries like Mexico, Costa Rica, Turkey, etc and this was the only trip where we have felt at all uneasy about our safety.
You are staying at upscale resorts so it won't be a problem for you, but we were surprised to find that a highly touted budget hotel like the Hotel Aguada had a razor-wire fence and three Rottweilers patrolling the property. Burglar bars are on most of the homes.
We were stopped at several road blocks by armed guards but were always waved through without difficulty. I was told once they were looking for illegals from Guatamela, but another time was told it was just for registration stickers.
There were only a few times when we felt a bit uneasy driving in the country. We drove up and down the Hummingbird Hwy. and then the unpaved Costal Hwy. We were flagged down by a police officer on a moped in Hopkins but he just wanted a ride into Belize City! The Costal Hwy. is isolated and we passed only a few cars and saw no buildings for tens of miles. That night we watched the local news and saw where days earlier, tourists had been ambushed driving the Hummingbird Hwy. They were able to escape but their tires and windows were shot out.
The capital city did not make us feel very comfortable either. A place called Tourist City has been created to keep locals from mingling with tourists and from seeing the real city. Cruise ship passengers are dropped off at this upscale area to shop at jewlery stores etc. The Tourist City is walled and armed guards are posted at entrances. You must show a cruise ship ID to enter so this keeps locals out. Even our stay at the Radisson felt like we were being kept in an compound away from the locals.
I'm glad we went to Belize and were able to see some sights like Barton Creek Cave and Xunantunich, but this was not my favorite vacation. Your choices in Belize seem to be to isolate yourself in luxurious resorts or spend your time distraught by the poverty in places like Gales Point and Hopkins.

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Anyone who has traveled in the region knows that burglar bars are common throughout Central America and Mexico. If anything, I'd say Belize has fewer homes with burglar bars.

Theft is unfortunately common in Belize, as it is elsewhere in the region. That's the reason for dogs and burglar bars.

As for as personal safety goes, Belize is pretty safe. I've driven all over the country with my family over the past 14 years and the worst that ever happened to me is that someone tried, and failed, to bring into my car once in Cayo -- cost me $50 to repair the lock.

Belize City is pretty rough.

But put things in perspective:

In neighboring Guatemala, there are 50 murders a WEEK in Guatemala City. In Mexico City there are an estimated 1 million muggings a year. In Honduras there are thought to be 200,000 gang members, almost as many as the entire population of Belize.

Now if you want to be scared to death, try driving through some of the neighborhoods in Washington, D.C.

At the resorts where you're staying, you'll feel entirely safe, day or night.

--Lan Sluder
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:20 AM

I'd add that regards that incident on the Hummingbird Highway, the police have arrested the alleged perps, who I believe are from Guatemala.

--Lan Sluder
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Do you think we will have a problem driving out of the airport in Belize city? I am a little nervous now.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Heck, no.

Don't pay too much attention to that person from Georgia. Atlanta has MUCH worse crime and many worse neighborhoods than Belize.

--Lan Sluder
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM

To tsepe, Driving out of airport is easy. May be one police check point. Get a good map before you leave home. I don't remember having to go into the city, or at least very far, to get on the roads out of town. Highways in Belize are paved, two lane roads. The streets within the City are narrow and conjested, but no problem if you are paying attention. There are "round abouts" at the intersections so know which street you want. Belize has added more Tourist Police over the last two years. I have walked all over the City during the day without problem. Late night in the City is a different matter.
Like any other country 98% of the people are very friendly and helpful. They also realize the value of tourism and are not willing to jepordize that. As in all travel don't flaunt your valuables and pay attention to your suroundings. Safe travel Pilgrim!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I feel relieved now. I will definitely get a map before travelling. Thanks for the advice Lan and Hmalone!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:27 AM

We were there for 10 days and drove from the airport to San Ignacio to Hopkins to Belize City. We were extremely glad he had our own vehicle and made may stops as we traveled. We did not have any issues nor were we ever stopped by the police. Try to avoid driving at night, make sure you have plenty of gas, drive carefully (no need ot hurry the scenery is beautiful), and don't leave valuables in your car (I wouldn't even bring them). Everyone was very friendly, and I loved Hopkins. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! We are getting more and more excited everyday.