Safety and health in San Jose Del Cabo?

Jan 2nd, 2019, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Safety and health in San Jose Del Cabo?

After a really horrible six months with many many stresses and losses, we decided to try to do a week away to a warmer climate before we’re back in the soup again. Several friends and AARP of all places recommended San Jose Del Cabo as a relaxing town in Mexico without the worry about violence accompanying other tourist destinations right now.So we booked our flights and lodging and now I’m triple guessing myself about everything. I didn’t realize they would be a potential mosquito problem, whether the water is safe, what’s safe to eat and is it really safe to travel to Mexico at all right now?
Ordinarily I am nowhere near as nervous to travel but this is not really a vacation but more trying to recharge after some serious difficulties over the past few months.So – I’m prepared with water purification, anti-diarrhea medicine, deer, and my serious sunblock. Anything else I should try to remember or take care of or think about while traveling there? Thanks for any help. We are likely going to split our time between an Airbnb in San Jose Del Cabo itself and then a few days in a condo there on the beach.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:06 AM

We go to Cabo San Lucas/San Jose just about every year. You will be fine. Just use common sense like you would here. When are you going and where exactly are you staying?

In SJ, we stay at a small timeshare called Coral Baja. Our brother in law stays at the Holiday Inn, which is all inclusive. Places that cater to tourists use filtered water and all are required to use purified ice. I always bring some Cipro for diarrhea, just in case and seasick medicine. Mosquitoes depend on time of year.

Downtown San Jose has restaurants, galleries, shopping. Low key and not a crazy party scene. Thursdays, fall thru spring there is an Art Walk.

Hope this trip helps you relax and kick back
Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:34 AM

Yes it is safe to travel to the tourist areas of Mexico (actually most of the country is OK).

Drink bottled water. You don't need to be trying to purify your own!

Yes it is safe to travel around the southern Baja region.

Eat only cooked vegetables and fruit that can be peeled... if you are on the nervous side about this.

Los Cabos (the two towns together and the "corridor" between them) is an extremely popular and well-traveled area, you don't need to be preparing for the "outback".
Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:13 PM

With a week, I wouldn’t change locations. I would settle in by the beach.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:57 PM

Where have you read warning about bugs/mosquitos/Deet? That seems curious to me for January which is dry season.

This area is quite modern and up-to-date. I really don't think most people try to purify their own water. Most hotels and resorts would provide it. Or you can buy it at the nearest grocery or convenience store.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

I was surprised tooNeither of us of ever gotten sick while traveling about mosquitoes

But checking on other boards in looking at the weather report for the area – which actually gives an indication of “mosquito prevalence” shows of the week we are going to be there he may have a high prevalence of mosquitoes. And mosquitoes love me so I am especially concerned.We’re going to be extra cautious so the pills to clear the water are just a precaution. Neither of us of ever gotten sick while traveling in Mexico or other places, but given the stress level is been experiencing it would just be enough to send me over the edge.Airbnb turns out provide bottled water so we’re happy about that. Now we’re going to the travel clinic to get a prescription for anti-diarrhea meds if we need them – CDC is recommending typhoid immunization’s? I think that’s going to be unlikely if we’re staying in the city I’m not traveling in the outback but I’ll see what they say.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 04:09 PM

Typhoid is overkill. When are you going? At the Air BnB, make sure to use the bottled was for making ice or buy bagged ice. We shop nearby in San Jose at a very large store called Comer(used to be Mega).
Jan 2nd, 2019, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

I don’t like to put details about my trips on the Internet

We will be there this month, and the Airbnb is told us they will have bottled water there for us.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 06:03 PM

January can be a little cool, so bring a light sweater for the evening.
Jan 3rd, 2019, 07:00 AM

Most places that I have been in Mexico have those big Alhambra-style water jugs of purified water to use for drinking and cooking. Fruits and veggies are washed with a microdyne solution - you can buy some at the store if there isn't some already at your rental.
Jan 3rd, 2019, 10:05 AM

I guess everyone has to do what feels right to them but I've been in and out of Mexico on vacation at least 30+ times and have never taken precautions like you are doing for this trip.

Yes to microdyne, yes to bottled water. I do carry OTC immodium but nothing stronger than that & rarely have used it.

Typhoid? Purifying your own water with tablets? are things I have never heard recommended for that area.
Jan 3rd, 2019, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

So I went to the travel clinic today to talk about my preparations – and here’s what I learned:1. The nurse said one of the biggest risks throughout Mexico is people petting dogs – many dogs and cats carry rabies so she reminded me not to pet animals even if they seem friendly. There have been a lot of cases rabies if even from people who just are scratched by the dogs.

2. She said she only recommends typhoid vaccine for people who are really adventurous eaters or who are going to rule areas where they won’t have adequate water filtration, but that there are risks if you’re going to a place you’re not familiar with and won’t know as much about the hygiene standards as you might know about local restaurants. We had a long conversation about what a hypochondriac I tend to be, and how overprepared I tend to be for things like this and she left it to me to decide whether I wanted to get the vaccine not. I decided to get it as I felt bad rather be safe than sorry and I may be traveling to other places I would need it in the next couple of years.

3. We kind of joked about the water purification tablets but again I feel like if I’m over prepared I’m less likely to have any trouble.

4. She did reassure me that it’s not really mosquito season and even when it is there of been very few cases of malaria in the Cabo area.

5. We also discussed the fact that I’m very sensitive to all kinds of antibiotics, if I did get hit with travelers diarrhea, I’d be better off just taking Pepto-Bismol both prophylactically and during. She recommends against Imodium as she Believe the only time you want to “plug yourself up” is if you’re in a place where you can’t be using the bathroom like having to fly back home or something.

if we weeren’t doing an Airbnb stay I might be less likely to take these extra precautions. We were just staying at resorts like we have before I would not be quite so anxious. But I feel good about my preparations and I feel good to have taken the extra step to get the vaccine.
Jan 4th, 2019, 11:06 AM

I think you are more likely to get sick at a resort than when staying at an AirBnB and eating out at restaurants. When you have a lot of people packed into a small area like at a resort, you basically have a petri dish of germs. Who knows who hasn't washed their hands after using the restroom and then gone and touched a bunch of stuff. Same with germy children pick their noses and then touch stuff at the buffet. Food that isn't cooked to order may or may not have been handled properly or kept at proper temperatures. At restaurants, you've got fewer people touching everything and food is much more likely to be fresh and cooked to order. And of course, at your AirBnB, it's just your family, so just your germs - and you control how your food is handled.
Jan 4th, 2019, 12:22 PM

Exactly (regarding) Immodium. You'd only use that if you got hit really bad with "turista" and needed to be out and about or getting on a plane or bus.

I am happy you feel better with your precautions, but for others reading, please know these are highly unusual for a trip to a well-traveled area of the Baja.

I'm not sure why you are more nervous staying in a rental instead of a resort. Regardless sounds like you have sorted this out in a way you are comfortable with.
Jan 4th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

all good points

Originally Posted by november_moon View Post
I think you are more likely to get sick at a resort than when staying at an AirBnB and eating out at restaurants. When you have a lot of people packed into a small area like at a resort, you basically have a petri dish of germs. Who knows who hasn't washed their hands after using the restroom and then gone and touched a bunch of stuff. Same with germy children pick their noses and then touch stuff at the buffet. Food that isn't cooked to order may or may not have been handled properly or kept at proper temperatures. At restaurants, you've got fewer people touching everything and food is much more likely to be fresh and cooked to order. And of course, at your AirBnB, it's just your family, so just your germs - and you control how your food is handled.
thanks for posting.
Jan 18th, 2019, 02:50 PM

Cabo is a major tourist destination and hotels in particular are aware that a health and sanitation problem could be a disaster so you are generally safe. We took no precautions when we were there a few years ago and were fine.

Same with Puerto Vallarta and Cancun.

Actually same with Tijuana!