Search

Safety & Driving - SJ to MA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety & Driving - SJ to MA

We just returned from a week-long glorious trip to Costa Rica. I admit to being a lurker here for the past few months - thanks for all the great posts! I read the "horror stories" about driving in Costa Rica with interest. While I don't doubt that bad things happen, I wasn't about to change our plans to drive from San Jose (Belen actually) to Manuel Antonio. Honestly, the drive was MUCH easier than we expected. While in MA, we met a couple from Brooklyn who drove 6 hours from Arenal to MA. They too heard the horror stories and found their experience to be the opposite. Details: Rented a Nissan Xtrail (small SUV) from Avis in Belen. Splurged $8.95 per day for the GPS (EZFind) which was truly worth it - made navigating to MA effortless. Yes, the GPS "knows" all the dirt roads too! Took us about 2.5 hours to get to Quepos & 10 more minutes to MA, non-stop, no rain. The road is pretty well paved. There are times when you'll have to pass other cars, trucks & buses. Due to construction on the way back to SJ, it took us about 2.75 hours. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. BTW, this was our first time driving ourselves in a foreign country. We weren't stopped by anyone, nobody slashed our tires or rear-ended us. Take the usual precautions: don't make the drive at night (although we did bop around MA at night, not into Quepos though); don't make stops leaving your luggage in the car; be aware & alert about your surroundings; make sure you have a good map, even if you get the GPS. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. We were really glad we had the convenience of an SUV for the MA area, freedom to go to the beaches & restaurants when we want, although many walk or take the bus. I would hate to try to walk to Ronny's Place/Mi Lugar in the rain! I'm not exaggerating when I say that drive was easy. If you want to relax & hire a driver, that's cool. But if you're considering renting a car but are hesitant because of everything you've heard... add my positive experience when weighing your options. One of the doctors I work with has visited the Guanacaste region every year for the past 5 years. He brings his 3 beautiful blonde teenage daughters & beautiful brunette wife and they explore the dirt roads for hidden surf spots & hit all the well known surf beaches there, toting their boards. He said he has never once felt unsafe, taking all the usual precautions. I just wanted to add some positive feedback to this hot topic. We had a great time on this trip & I will post a separate trip report later. Pura Vida!
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Thanks so much for your post. I was starting to get a little worried about driving when we go in February. I guess bad things can happen anywhere and it is helpful to know about them so you can be aware. We will be leaving the San Jose airport at 6:30 a.m. to pick up an SUV at Tricolor and head up to Cano Negro.

A friend of my travel partner just returned and said it took him 4 hours to drive to Arenal from SJ airport. He said it was in the afternoon and the traffic was pretty bad. I was thinking maybe there was an accident or something up ahead. I didn't think it would take that long. Hopefully we will get some clear driving since we are leaving first thing in the am. I know it will be a long drive up anyway. I hope we can get to Cano Negro by 2 or 2:30.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 01:52 PM

<b> Hi there</b> <u> We are here now
</u>
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Sorry I clicked on the wrong button and this posted.

Pardon me
Thanks
jmvp
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Hi,

Just got back front Costa Rica. We did the drive. Although a little tough near San Jose, the rest was fun and very adventurous. We went to Manuel Antonio, Quepos, Dominical, and Osa Peninsula. GPS is a must. We were not offered it and wish we knew. If felt safe driving except for Jaco.

I have to warn you Jaco is a very criminal town. Luggage was stolen (we were warned about belongings in car) and it was part our fault. We stopped to look at and take pictures of ocean on side street in Jaco. Car was 100 ft away, turned toward ocean, there was a look out guy who gave signal, beach vendors kept us busy and within 4 mins. luggage was stolen. There are teams of thieves that work together. Police showed up, I pointed out the lookout, he said a persons name pointed to the house that our luggage was dragged into and police did nothing (I was told later that they are probably in on all of this). The officials (more like detectives) showed up asked us to follow to station for police report, while there a flight crews stuff was stolen, 2 other couples luggage was also stolen. Station was packed. Report is in a form format because they do this all day. We went back to site of robbery to negotiate $$ with theives and old local said &quot;you americans, europeans and canadians need to see we are poor and this is what we do&quot; trying to justify the stealing of my personal property that I worked very hard to buy and stealing a vacation I saved forever for. In my opinion a person who steals personal stuff is the lowest thief there is. I was horrified that someone was touching my stuff and selling it on the streets.

I have traveled a great deal, have been to poorer regions and never had this happen or felt so unsafe. I think if the tourism stops in Jaco maybe the police and officials and locals will actually do something.

After leaving, the locals (who were great!) in the other wonderful parts of Costa Rica said that it is a criminal town with rings of thieves and tourists should never stay there. If you are a surfer go to Dominical. Loved it there. In Jaco many young surfers have lost their surf boards and gear.

Driving gives you a lot of freedom. Not sure will do it again, but glad that we did. Do not even for a brief time leave anything in your car. I hope this save someone from our experience.

Michelle
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 02:45 PM

We will be making the drive from Alajuela to Dominical a week from tomorrow.

How was the road between Quepos and Dominical? In know it's the worst in CR but would like to know conditions. I am still unsure of which route to take: either the interamericana south to San Isidro or the Quepos/coastal route. Am leaning toward the Quepos route.

If we go that way, I won't even stop in Jaco based on the trouble encountered above with thievery.

Thanks for any advice...
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Hi Sfuller82,

The road from Quepos to Dominical was surprisingly good. Wide open gravel road, even the bridges were ok. It is a beautiful ride. Loved Dominical! Surfer community with small town. Rio del Mar was a great place to stay. Be aware that before Quepos you will encounter two bridges people refer to as the &quot;Oh My Gosh&quot; bridges. Because you will say that over and over while driving on these bridges (you'll probably say something different--we did!!) I've never seen anything like them. They are closed or backed up sometimes so prepare for that. Try to time your drive so you are not driving at night. You will get on the road to Dominical through Quepos. Get the GPS if possible. Wish we knew it was available. Have a great time. It is a beautiful country.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Yes, Shopaholic is right a good map is essential for Costa Rica! Traveling with a GPS for sure makes traveling much easier, but on the other hand it takes away some of the adventure of discovering a foreign country. I got lost several times in many countries and often in that situations I got to meet some of the nicest and helpful people. More than once they didn't only show me where I was on the map, they even invited me to their house or a bar or a private party.
If you have a tight schedule and know exactly what you want to see and are not looking for too much unplanned adventure a GPS still might be right for you. Another helpful resource for planning your trip is this route planner: www.yourtravelmap.com