Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Rustic yet elegant lodging in Mexico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/rustic-yet-elegant-lodging-in-mexico-543981/)

madamepetunia Jul 13th, 2005 04:40 PM

Rustic yet elegant lodging in Mexico?

Looking for something elegant and nice, but not over $300 a night unless all inclusive.
I've been to Jumby Bay in Antiqua, which was wonderful. Something similar, but with a Mexican flair. Prefer bungalows or more private accomodations than a high rise and love good food and drink , good beach.

pepper131 Jul 13th, 2005 04:59 PM

Take a look at differentworld.com - lots of lux, small places.

dmotl Jul 14th, 2005 05:29 AM

Consider the Na Balam
Visit www.isla-mujeres.net
Click on places to stay--
on the left tool bar

dmotl Jul 14th, 2005 05:33 AM

Consider Akumal
visit: www.lascasitasakumal.com

iamq Jul 14th, 2005 06:31 AM

madame,

Depending upon how rustic you want it, you should look into Majahuitas, south of Puerto Vallarta. We are going there in February. Differentworld.com has a great spread on them and you can read reviews on tripadvisor.com.

-Bill

TioGringo Jul 14th, 2005 09:48 AM

Hmmm.

Elegant and rustic. Are you *SPECIFICALLY* looking for beach places? Also, some of the recommendations you've gotten aren't what I'd consider rustic, per se.

I'd probably look more towards colonial type properties, perhaps some of the restored haciendas that are inland in the Yucatan (the easiest to find/book are those affiliated with Starwood hotels (www.starwood.com then click "The Luxury Collection"), or perhaps places in some of the central highland colonial mining cities (like the spectacular Casa de la Marquesa in Queretaro).

For beach properties, I'd think much more upscale than the ideas you've gotten so far. I'd be thinking places like Zihuatenejo with the incomparable Villa del Sol or Casa Que Canta. In Puerto Vallarta, look into Hotelito Desconocido.

There are many, MANY more...but this should get you started.

Hope it helps!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com

TioGringo Jul 14th, 2005 09:54 AM

One more place that might interest you...

There's a very upscale, yet very rustic spa out on Yelapa (Puerto Vallarta). It's called Verana, and they have a web site: www.verana.com

Yelapa's kind of a remote little outpost of Vallarta, and Verana seems kind of out-of-place there, but it *could* be right up your alley.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com

PAGirl Jul 14th, 2005 10:02 AM

You might look at Al Cielo on Xpu Ha Beach in the Riviera Maya - AWESOME beach. www.alcielo.com Also, I know that Maroma gets rave reviews however they are pricey - but AI I believe. Check them out at www.maromahotel.com

AndrewW Jul 20th, 2005 03:05 PM

You can also check out www.mexicoboutiquehotels.com who market over 35 different boutique hotels throughout Mexico.

Disclaimer for the Fodor police... the company is run by a friend of mine but I am not affiliated in any way...

They are a group of super properties...

Cheers,
Andrew