Reload this Page >

Robbed in Jaco & other advise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 09:47 AM
billy m

After spending an incredible week in Costa Rica, Arenal, Monteverde & Mal Pais, we made the mistake of staying in Jaco for the night in order to be closer to the airport for the flight home the next day (which wasn't part of our plan). We took the advice of Fodor's Costa Rica 2000 & stayed at the Hotel Tangeri. First of all I wouldn't advise even going to Jaco if you can help it, there are just too many other towns that are nicer & safer. I believe the exact quote from the girl at the airport as we were leaving was, "I don't know why anyone goes to Jaco". We stayed at this hotel because they had security gaurds. In the morning we went to breakfast & returned with an hour left to kill so we sat under their cabana & watched the surf. With our car in plain view of the front guard, but blocked from our view by an adjacent car we were totally cleaned out. They bent the front door back & jimmy'd the lock. They police showed up & were totally useless. The hotel people insisted it happened while we were gone & continued to repeat this mistruth to the police whenever they opened their mouths. Of course nobody saw anything, even though they got away with 3 big backpacks, a smaller pack & a purse. During the next day & a half while we were getting new passports & airline tickets everyone we spoke with agreed it was most likely an inside job. One of our saving graces was having gone through a tour company & they had an emergency, they were extremly helpful in getting us home as smoothly as possible. So a couple of things... I wouldn't stay at that hotel or in Jaco for that matter & I for sure won't get one of those "rob me" Diahatsu rentals. No one but tourists drive those things.... <BR> <BR>have a good trip & stay on your toes.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 05:37 PM
Parrot Mom

How sad...if there is any experience I remember it's our trip to Jaco Beach many years ago...I guess it was 10-15 years ago...no street lights, no taxi, no nothing... just beach with gorgeous black volcano sand and magnificent surf..the hotel wAs a dump--now I hear it's turned into a Cancun...

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 05:46 PM
Jane

We too were robbed, but in Alejuala on the way to The Butterfly Farm, a tourist snare I am sure, and had a targeted asian rental. I posted "nightmare in Costa Rica" on this sight. Poas Rental Car company failed to notify us of a common robbery scam when we rented their vehicle. If they had warned us we would not have been robbed. If Costa Rica wants to continue to grow tourism - they must provide a safer place to visit. The local police would not even come to our aid, even though they were called twice. The Costa Rican government is hurting their economic future in tourism by allowing vandals to steal for short term gains. I know only too well the hassle of replacing your passports. We will never go back.