Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Roatan - Anthony's Key Resort right for snorkelers? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/roatan-anthonys-key-resort-right-for-snorkelers-822993/)

happeegirlee Jan 22nd, 2010 12:33 PM

Roatan - Anthony's Key Resort right for snorkelers?

has anyone ever chosen the "snorkel package"?
my husband and i are in our late 30's and we're looking for an all inclusive resort that offers onsite reef snorkeling. we've come across AKR which is primarily a dive resort and we were wondering if it would also be suitable for just snorkelers.
also, although they show pictures of a sandy beach, i can't find any mention of a beach. so, besides the 2 snorkeler excursions per day provided in the package, is there a beach/reef you can snorkel nearby during your downtime? if you stay in an overwater hut, can you swim from it? the water around the island looks dark and choppy, not good for snorkeling, is this the case? also, it's spread out awkward over mainland and key, is getting around difficult? and finally, the snorkel excursions provided - are they interesting? we're looking for live reef snorkeling abundant in diverse marine life - not simply colorful fish, but their website doesn't provide further info and i'd rather trust the opinion of actual vacationers over people who work there.

we've heard the snorkeling at West Bay is the best but the huts/ecolife/excursions look so entertaining. is this the right choice? thanks!

qwovadis Jan 22nd, 2010 02:37 PM

www.anthonyskey.com

best diving lodge for upscale in the Bay Island

good snorkeling tours even better diving stick with them.

www.bibr.com also pretty good

bellaboo Jan 22nd, 2010 03:57 PM

off beach snorkeling is NOT good from Anthonys Key. The best off beach snorkeling in Roatan is from West Bay Beach. AKR is on Sandy Beach, the reef is there of course, but much further offshore. there is a dolphin program here which is more than enough to deter me.....

bellaboo Jan 22nd, 2010 03:59 PM

PS....the beach there for casual swimming and snorkeling is NOT great, contrary to what gwovadis suggests. AND, there are better dive companys. At Luna Beach Resort for one...but again, no offbeach snorkeling.

happeegirlee Jan 22nd, 2010 07:26 PM

thanks again bellaboo! what do you think of Bay Islands Beach Resort?

happeegirlee Jan 23rd, 2010 07:24 PM

sadly, just found out BIBR will be closed during our vacation time in february. it sounded perfect with reefs right out front and spooky channel. now the search begins again...
:(

other suggestions were for:
Barefoot Cay
Reef House Resort
Blue Bahia Resort

anyone stayed there? my heart is set on roatan, now we need a new spot with an large interesting reef on site within swimming distance...

tully Jan 24th, 2010 05:56 AM

Have you considered other areas, in the Caribbean? Bonaire has incredible reefs & snorkeling right off the beaches. Renting a car is essential though. You just drive around the small island, spy one of the many yellow rocks, stop and get in the water, snorkel some then move on to the next rock. Didn't stay in AI so can't comment on that. Though did have lunch both at Buddy Dive and Captain Don's which I think both offered packages.

Honeydoe1 Jan 28th, 2010 08:12 PM

We also are looking to experience Roatan before the cruise ships inundate the island. Sounds like you, too, are looking for a variety of marine life and not just a lot of pretty fish. Iron shores usually have the best variety of creatures and from my readings, that would be the south shores of Roatan. We've read and also heard first hand from friends that experienced the shores of Coco View Resort that there is fabulous snorkeling right out front. It's an all inclusive resort, mainly for divers, but they also cater to snorklers. We are really hoping to experience it, but prefer to stay in a beach house rental a little further east, although we may end up renting a house close to Coco View and can also be part of their all inclusive plan if we choose. Check out their website at Cocoviewresort.com I just posted a question on southshore snorkeling off Roatan. Hope it helps our planning, too. Good luck!

ishkribbl Apr 3rd, 2010 03:41 AM

happeegirlee and honeydoe1- did either of you visit Roatan yet? If so, where did you end up staying? I would love to hear more. Thanks!