Road trip through Central America

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 3 week vacation with several girlfriends (we're in our late 20s) and I am wondering if driving through Central America is feasible/a good idea. For example, starting in Belize and working our way down through Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. This may be way too ambitious, in which case we could pick a smaller subset of countries (like Nicaragua, CR, and Panama). Does anyone have any idea how long Central America is or what the distance is between some of these countries? I am having trouble finding this info online. Also, is safety a problem? I am sure we would be fine in the touristy areas, but would it be dangerous driving through more remote areas? Perhaps picks two or three countries and flying between them is the way to go? Thanks in advance! I have traveled extensively but never to Latin America so any information is helpful.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

I don't know if this is relevant, but we're traveling in August.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Here's an idea for you that might not be too tough for a group of girlfriends to handle...do the buses all the way down the Pacific coast.

You could do the entire Central America crossing on Ticabus (www.ticabus.com) with all daytime rides (though admittedly, some of those days will start at 4:30 or 5am). Stop off in each major city and use it to branch off to whatever interests you in that region.

Start off in Tapachula Mexico, just north of the Guatemala border and do the Tapachula-Guatemala City route the first day. Take a couple days there: maybe see Antigua, or maybe Panajachel and Lake Atitlan.

From Guatemala City, head south to San Salvador, then onward to San Jose Costa Rica, and for the last leg, onward to Panama City.

It's a time commitment, but the bus fare will only run about $80.

Hope it helps!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Trying to drive through 6 countries in 3 weeks seems like a real push to me - that's only 3-4 days per country. I usually spend more time that, pick one country to explore, and still feel as though I've barely scratched the surface. It's not really feasible to cross country lines with a rental car, though it can be done. I'd pick 2 countries, maybe 3, and use a combination of flights and buses to get around. For example, you could fly into Guatemala and explore for a few weeks, then fly to Flores to visit Tikal and bus to Belize for your last week or so, flying home from there. Sigh...

Safety shouldn't be a problem if you stick together, avoid traveling at night, and use common sense about what parts of cities you venture into and leaving jewelry at home. My best advice is to travel really light - just a carry-on sized bag each.

Have a blast!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM

I just ordered the book "Driving the Pan American Highway" thru Amazon.com. It arrived today, but I haven't picked it up yet. I may drive from Vancouver to San Jose this winter, thus my interest.
This may be a good reference book for a trip thru Central America. But as far as I know, rental car companies won't allow you to take their vehicles across borders. Unless you buy a car,or ship your own car down, renting in every country would be problematic. Maybe a combination of using the bus and renting cars would work.
The distances in kilometers isn't that great, but it takes forever, because of slow speeds and terrible roads. I did come across a site that gave the distances along the Pan Am Highway. Just 'google' PanAm Highway. I realize you won't just be travelling on that road but it's a start in your research. And I assume you speak fluent Spanish . . .
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM

I second the comments on short distances but travel is very - very slow due to bad roads and any number of other potential incidents. BTW, traveling in August is in the middle of their "winter"; ie: the wet season. Thus, some roads will be impassable.

Suggestions:
1) Fly to Guatemala City and use Antigua as a base to see the highlands areas. Then fly to Flores to see Tikal and from there travel to Belize and enjoy the scuba/snorkeling. ALternately, fly from Flores to Cancun and go to Chicken Itza and Tulum.
2) Fly to San Jose and do a circuit around Costa Rica. Then take the 1st class bus to Panama City and use this as a base to see the immediate sights.

Lots of suggestions and recommendations on what to see, do, and where to stay in Lonely Planet and Moon Travel guides.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Pausanias

I'm guessing this post is a troll, but in the event it is not, I would suggest:

"Does anyone have any idea how long Central America is or what the distance is between some of these countries? I am having trouble finding this info online."

It's long. Consult an atlas.

"Also, is safety a problem?"

Yes.

"I am sure we would be fine in the touristy areas"

Maybe.

"would it be dangerous driving through more remote areas?"

Yes.

"I don't know if this is relevant, but we're traveling in August."

Very relevant. Worst time of year in the lowlands. Chance of hurricanes.

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Why would it be a troll, Pausanias? Lose the attitude or do not bother replying.

Thanks to everyone else for their great suggestions!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Pausanias

"Why would it be a troll, Pausanias?"

My apologies. The way it looked to me, you were purporting to be planning a trip without knowing the distances involved, asking if remote areas in Central America are dangerous for young American women traveling alone, failing to look beyond the web for information, proposing to do it at the worst possible time without having posted for three years . . . forgive me if I thought you were exercising a gift for parody.

"Lose the attitude or do not bother replying."

But then we would have missed this wonderful understanding.

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 03:51 PM

The main thing is that nobody is going to rent you a car that you can take from Belize to all those countries. At most you can get a car from a couple of rental agencies that you can take into Guatemala, though you will not be able to buy insurance at the border and so will have to assume all risk. Second, if you could rent a car, which you can't, you can't leave it in Panama -- you'd have to bring it back to where you rented it.

--Lan Sluder
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:55 AM

We just returned from a 9 night road trip through Chiapas MX, Guatemala and Honduras. I think afa001 had a good response to your questions. Base out of the cities mentioned and if you can't afford to fly, use the bus. Rental cars from one country to another are a hassle (if they are allowed at all) Many of the roads that time of year are really awful.
The area is not large but travel is slow. It took us 3 hours to travel from Bethel to Flores by van (40km)
Please be careful.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM

We drove quite a bit of Guatamala and it is slow with rutted roads in many areas. Outside Guatamala City there is little tourism and few facilities. They do not get a lot of tourists.

We drove most of Costa Rica and - even though the country is small - there was so much to see that we never saw either ocean. That is part of what you face. To much to see and your need to slow down and see something.

And in Guatamala there are a lot of incidents of innocent people that have been raped and killed. Like the nuns who were being caught up in rebel causes and were shot. Even more scary is the newest game in the region - taking you hostage for ransom. This is becoming a real problem.

Also suggest a bus trip and travel in a group with your family knowing where you are staying day-by-day. A fun trip can turn into a disaster quickly since you are gong into an extremely poor set of counties with people who think differently than us.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM

As a North American woman in her late 20's whose lived in Central America for 4.5 years, I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that you and your girlfriends DO NOT drive accross Central America, or even extenstively in any country you don't know well.

I live her, own my own car, speak the language fluently and don't ever drive at night, in areas I'm unfamiliar with and I try not to go anywhere alone with out a male companion.

I've traveled on Tica Bus and King Quality and I think these are really safe, reasonable options that will allow you to move around the region without putting yourselves in danger but all the while allowing for exploration.

Good luck on your trip.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:59 AM

I can only speak to Honduras- from my experience there, saftey is certainly an issue. Off the beten track I was very glad I was with locals when I was out and about. I don't know about your travel experience. If you are new to Latin America, I would suggest busing around Mexico.There is a highly developed bus system via which you can go to lots of great places. If you already have this type of experience and speak good Spanish I might pick a single country in Central and explore it, but I would do lots of research first.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 09:36 PM

As someone who traveled by VW from CR to the US and back 20 yrs ago--I totally agree with the cautions on safety. It was dangerous back then (actually being stopped by guerrillas with machine guns, etc) and it would be worse now (kidnapping is getting to be a very real concern in many of the CA countries). If you don't look or speak like the locals and obviously have an out-of-country car, you would be marked women. Not to mention HOW VERY LONG it can take to get through the aduanas. Definitely flying or taking the bus are much better options. IF you want a 3 week driving trip stick to Europe/US or somewhere safer.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Hi xxx34,
I've done the route you want to do while growing up in Guatemala as a younger gringa (the base was Guatemala, then have taken the Ticabus all across C.A. to Panama, then flown to South America from there). Now, there are other bus lines, many luxurious, with TV/DVD and such. It's feasible but like others said, you can only spend 3-4 days to see the highlights in each C.A. country, and it's possible that's all you may need. (e.g. Guatemala highlights: Antigua, Tikal, Lake Atitlan). But you won't have much time to relax. Much of it will be spent on a bus but it gives you the flexibility to stay in one place if you're too tired, or move on. I wouldn't recommend driving - I speak Spanish fluently and I wouldn't do it -- Driving in the city can be dangerous, nobody follows the traffic rules, and people run all over the street. Out of the city, you're in unfamiliar territory, there are no signs, and the roads aren't great, and it's just not safe. Highway robbers (in packs of 6, and armed, is very common these days). It's tougher to hold up a bus than it is to road block a small car, especially with 3-4 women. (that's what may have happened to the nuns...) Leave the driving to a bus driver, it's cheap, safer, and it'll stop along the towns, for nice scenery along the way. For buses, pick the ones that are pullman (not the chicken buses). Some to travel on are luxury in Guatemala (like Litegua), and older pullman (Rutas Orientales - that take you from Guatemala City to Esquipulas - border with Honduras). It's not dangerous if you're with lots of people, especially local. Just use common sense - don't walk along deserted areas, even during the day. Also, don't travel at night on the buses. I'd stick to touristy areas, and where most locals hang out. Like the markets, and plazas, just watch out for pickpocketers. We went to Copan (Honduras) last year, and it was nice along the way (the mountains were so green), and the small town with lots of restaurants, and loved haggling for souvenirs. We grabbed a mini-bus to the ruins at the Guatemala-Honduran border, easy to do as there are bunches of those. I'd pick 2-3 highlights in each country. I was in Managua many years ago, but haven't been there recently. San Jose was pretty in Costa Rica. And Panama City, itself, it's like a different world (everybody dances on the buses) - very commercial. Like stepping onto a Caribbean island. Hot and humid! Each country is very unique. But I was much younger. You should polish up on your Spanish so you can gain the most out of your travels. Also, travel light. Do some research on how long it takes to travel from country to country -- I wouldn't fly, I'd take the bus, to enjoy the local flavors of meeting people and the culture. Locals are generally friendly and helpful. Just be careful with the food and water so you don't get sick (pack some antibiotics just in case). I always get sick but that doesn't stop me from going. I would go! Just be safe and HAVE FUN! (BTW, I'm heading to Guatemala next week, and can't wait!) Some links http://www.mayaexplorer.com.mx/espan...rasnporte.html
http://guatemala.travelreality.com/h...e&Pagina=2
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Oh yeah, from Belize, I've done the 5 hr bus trip to Flores (Tikal), then flew from Tikal to Guatemala City (not worth to go the 10 hr bus trip from Guatemala City to Tikal).
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM

SAFETY in Central America is a major issue. Do not even consider renting a car and traveling with no male compaions. Night travel is also totally out of question. People drive crazy, and the roads can be horrible.
The use of the bus system and flights will make for a very enjoyable trip! You can see some wonderous sites - tour ruins, climb mountains, go snorkling, and much more, but above all BE SAFE.
The person who mentioned carrying ANTIBIOTICS is wise. Getting sick on the water/food is quite normal, and it's nice to have a quick fix in your bag. Pepto Bismol is helpful too.
As for timing, etc. I traveled to Honduras from Missouri on a school bus with a group of missionaries (8 days), and we spent two days just trying to get across the border into Mexico with our bus. We spent another entire day just waiting to get out of Mexico at the border. People around borders, especially Mexico, can be very cunning at getting your money with creative stories. Just as valuable as your money is your passport. Keep copies, and keep it safe - always know exactly where it is, and keep it in your personal possession. Large cities, like Guatemala City and Mexico City, are confusing. We ended up hiring guides to get us out of both cities, because the maps do not match the roads. The rainy season makes for foggy conditions and mud slides. Be sure to check into your hotels before nightfall, and you will find everything from a mattress covered with a sheet and a bare lightbulb to lavish pools and beatiful tile mozaics.
The choices you make regarding your safety and your water/food intake will make the difference between a thorougly enjoyable, memorable trip and a nightmare.
p.s. Take a camera, and if you make it to La Ceiba, be sure to attend Sunday service at Iglesia de Dios la Hermandad in the Barrio (neighborhood) of La Isla.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Hi -

I'll be in El Salvador for August. I assume you've planned your trip already, but just in case you were still considering it DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH CENTRAL AMERICA.

In case you have any doubts, rent the movie "Salvador" by Oliver Stone to get rid of any doubts that it is a terrible idea. Sure a lot has changed since the 80s, but just a look at James Woods spitting his teeth out on the boots of a guerrilla and you'll know to take the bus DURING THE DAY instead.

But I hope you guys do go, and that you have a great time.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:33 AM

Gosh, travel in Central America seems dangerous!
I live part time in Costa Rica and would heartily reccomend driving around this beautiful albeit potholed country with maybe a side visit to Panama or Nicaragua. Three weeks is actually what you would need to visit all the differnt parts and micro- climateds of Costa Rica as well as the Pacific and Carribean beaches. I've doen it myself, often on my own, with not a single bad incident.