riviera mayan side trips

Old Nov 8th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
riviera mayan side trips

We have a family of eight adults going to the Riviera Maya in December and staying at the Grand Palladium (or Fiesta Grand as some people call it). We'd like to do two side trips. One would be to the ruins. Does it make more sense to go to Tulum or Coba instead of Chichen Itza, since they are both closer? If so, can we just take a bus or mini-van and do it on our own? Then for our second side trip we'd like to see REAL nature. Like in the jungle. We've done enough snorkeling so I'm not worried about that again. We'd like to be guaranteed to see monkies-sorry, it's a lifetime dream.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 01:44 PM

I'm not aware of any monkeys in the wild in Mexico, at least not in that area. The jungle in that area is not what I think of as 'wild' jungle.

Chichen Itza is a really long day trip from that area, and I would never consider doing it in one day. There's another post about that area versus Tulum and Coba (from a few days ago) - you might want to look at that. You can definitely do those trips on your own.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 12:29 AM

Take a trip to Aktun Chen to see spider monkeys in the wild. They have some in cages, and others, but there are some that live free and will greet you at the entrance. Admission to the caves is 18 US. I had a spider monkey there plop on top of my head for hours. I think you need a car to get there, but busses do stop at the road. Right turn off 307 from Cancun and about four kilometers down a dirt road. They have many serpents also and the caves are spectacular.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 12:50 PM
JMM

For Tulum: take a Collectivo (white mini van with a stripe) - they run and up and down the highway between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. The Palladium is a 2 minute walk from the highway - so this is REALLY easy to do.
For Coba: you would have to take a regular bus or go on a tour. One interesting possibility is to take a tour with Alltournative. I went on one of their tours (Coba & Pac Chen) which included a trip to the real Mayan village of Pac Chen where you walked through the jungle to a cenote, rapelled down into the cenote and also zip-lined across another cenote and canoed on another cenote and then were served a very good but simple lunch. When I was there - a tame spider monkey was living in the village(she was an orphan found when she was a baby) - she was very friendly (napped with me in a hammock). After lunch we went to Coba and saw the ruins. It was a great day and worth the money.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:15 AM

The last POst seems worth checking out.

Yes, try to do Coba but don't waste your time at Tulum. It is mentioned because it is a simple day-trip for the tour operators out of Cancun City, but it is a minor site.

In fact, it's a dump.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:39 AM

if you want to see monkeys, go to Costa Rica. More howlers than you can shake a stick at.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 09:14 AM
JMM

I would disagree with Poppa about Tulum
True in comparison to Chichen Itza or Uxmal or Coba - it is a minor site - not very big at all (you can walk around the entire site in an hour easily) BUT it is NOT a dump - physically it is actually quite lovely -perched on cliffs overlooking the ocean.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:23 PM

I should say that it is probably a post-classic site, meaning that its architecture and adornments are rudimentary and crude when compared with a gem like Palenque or the numerous Puuc Regiion ruins starting with Uxmal and continuing through Labnah, Sayil, and Xlapak.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:30 PM

We just returned from the Grand Palladium and it was the best 5* we had ever been to. Food was excellent and everything was clean and new looking. There are hobie cats that are in great shape that you can use for 1 hour each day. You need to reserve. The only problem I had was that the person who filled the mini bar stole the maid's tip.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have opinions about which section we should request for room locations? Someone mentioned third floor for better view and we'd like to be centrally located.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 08:47 AM

About Tulum it is the only Mayan site built seaside. You may enjoy the breathtaking views. We sure did.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 06:35 PM

Hi!
We just came back from Riviera Maya. If you go to Chichen Itza try to stay one night in the hotel "mayaland" it's next to the ruins.
In Riviera Maya go to Puerto Aventuras about 40 minutes from Cancun and stay in the Aventura Spa Palace (www.palaceresorts.com) it's an only adults resort and you will love it.
Have fun & enjoy the trip in Mexico!!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Susan is correct. There are no 'wild' monkeys in that area of Mexico. Even the one Belle spoke of are all tame. Whether they are in cages or roaming freely, they are still 'tame'. you might as well go to the zoo!
Yes, Costa Rica is the place to see monkeys in the wild. Four different species and they are just about everywhere!