Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Riviera Maya snorkel choices (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/riviera-maya-snorkel-choices-948506/)

vicnroy Aug 29th, 2012 04:59 AM

Riviera Maya snorkel choices

Any decent beach-access snorkeling in the Riviera Maya? We're planning a visit (have never been), and this would be one criterion to use to select among the seemingly millions of properties. Would prefer to be less than an hour drive from the Cancun airport. Where is "the best" snorkeling in the area? Overall, how does the snorkeling compare with, say, Grand Cayman or the Virgin Islands?

Thank you!

hopefulist Aug 29th, 2012 05:52 AM

We loved snorkeling with turtles in Tulúm:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyh...7624437483789/

emd3 Aug 29th, 2012 05:55 AM

Best beach access snorkeling is at Akumal. Google and you'll see the pics. There are big sea turtles there, right off shore, as well as two reefs and good fish.

emd3 Aug 29th, 2012 05:57 AM

hopefullist, your pic was taken at Akumal, not Tulum - at least that is what the pic says, and I don't think there is a place in Tulum to snorkel w/the turtles.

kja Aug 29th, 2012 07:54 PM

When I went in 2008, Puerto Morelos offered options for snorkeling in a protected area (I think it was a national park, but could be wrong). As I recall, that's the most northern reach of the great Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, which is closer to the shore there than anywhere else.

Its an easy reach from the Cancun airport, less than an hour as I recall.

And at least when I was there, Puerto Morelos was a bit less tourist-y than many areas near Cancun. Enough of a tourist industry to ensure a range of decent lodging and dining options, but not overrun by tourists.

emd3 Aug 29th, 2012 07:57 PM

Puerto Morelos is about 20 min south of the Cancun airport. But there is no beach access snorkeling there. You would hire a small boat, with other tourists, to go out to the reef. It is only about 10 min offshore by boat, but you can not swim off the beach to get there.

bluecrystal Aug 29th, 2012 08:31 PM

hi i'm planning on going to riviera maya for primarily a snorkeling vacation. thanks for your advice for akumal.

is mid to late september this year ok to go? i understand this is hurricane season there.

i was thinking of staying at Barcelo Resort Hotel because i'm on a budget and they offer all-inclusive w air. i read other posts saying snorkeling is good there. has anyone stayed there and is the snorkeling on par with akumal and tulum?

hopefulist Aug 29th, 2012 08:36 PM

Oops - thanks for pointing out my mistake. I meant Turtle Bay in AKUMAL but posted in a hurry and since the photo was in the Tulúm collection (because we were staying there) that's the word that popped into my head and came out my fingers.

We also enjoyed snorkeling in Puerto Morelos, though we hired a boatman to take us around. Happy trails!

vicnroy Aug 30th, 2012 07:28 AM

Thanks for all the good info. A follow-up:

Is there any decent beach-access snorkeling at all north of Akumal, closer to the airport? Or is it so much poorer than Akumal that it's worth the extra drive to Akumal?

jamie99 Aug 30th, 2012 10:31 AM

For shore snorkeling I would say Akumal is the best,if staying at the Barcelo it is supposed to be pretty good there and only a ten minute drive south via rental car or taxi to Akumal.

bluecrystal Aug 30th, 2012 12:27 PM

thank you jamie99! really appreciate it because staying in akumal will be much more expensive as the hotels there do not include airfare, etc. so i was in such a dilemma about spending a huge chunk of money. but now i'm more confident to book at Barcelo!!

really appreciate you writing.

volcanogirl Aug 30th, 2012 03:06 PM

Bookmarking.

emd3 Aug 30th, 2012 03:35 PM

jamie, just get out the highway from Barcelo and take a colectivo to Akumal, or take a taxi there and back. You don't have to stay at Akumal to snorkel there. You can just go pend a half day snorkeling there and go back to your resort. Certainly an option.

jamie99 Aug 31st, 2012 10:13 AM

emd, it is bluecrystal who is staying at Barcelo, not me. I personally like Hotel Akumal Caribe in Akumal.

emd3 Aug 31st, 2012 03:10 PM

oops, sorry jamie. I am in Playa del Carmen now, and we are going to Akumal in the next few days. Love that place, but have never stayed there, we just go for the day to snorkel.