Riviera Maya and Merida help

Oct 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Riviera Maya and Merida help

We are planning a trip in February that is 7 full days without travel. I am thinking of 4 days somewhere between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum, and 3 days for Chichen Itza and Merida.

My first decision is where to stay and I think a place like Al Cielo looks like a place we would like(can you use high voltage appliances there, like hair dryers?)although I am not sure if there is much around it in terms of other restaurants and places to go. We want to be on the beach and not pay more than $200/night and no All inclusives. The area around Tulum looks nice but it seems a bit far.

It seems that most people rent a car there so I am thinking of getting the car for this part of the trip then returning it to Cancun and flying to Merida-would this make sense? I have read that you don't need a car in Merida and the drive is pretty long. Open to suggestions on this. Did I also read there are tolls that are pretty pricey on this drive?

I have been to Chichen Itza quite a few years ago but my husband hasn't-Does Tulum come close to comparing to Chichen Itza?

I think those are my main questions, thanks for any feedback.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:53 AM

Tulum does not come close to Chichen Itza in my opinion. The toll road between Cancun and Merida is pricey. That's the only one that I know of. You can also get to Chichen Itza, Coba and Ek Balam taking the Coba road west in Tulum. You cannot climb the castillo at Chichen Itza any longer but you can still climb the one at Coba. Ek Balam has the most amazing carvings I've ever seen and I plan to return there in Dec. The bus to Merida would be another way to go and quite inexpensive. You can get the bus on Juarez in PDC. Not sure if you can also get it at the station on Constituyentes or over on 20th. You can check the bus schedule sometimes at www.ticketbus.com.mx. There are literally hundreds of restaurants in PDC and I still am amazed at how many new ones open up or old favorites close down each time I'm there. Don't know anything about Al Cielo but I wouldn't worry about plugging in hair dryers in PDC. In Tulum it may be more of an issue. There is a lot of info about PDC on www.playa.info to get you going about places to stay/eat and things to do. Have fun!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM

My wife and I and 2 daughters (20's) went to the region 3 years ago. Very glad I rented a car at the airport. We don't like touristy sites (no cancun or PDC) so our route is not for everyone but anyway. First night in Puerto Morelos, then on to Tulum which was awesome. Stayed at an place near the beach and walked for miles. The beaches at Tulum are wonderful. Drove to Coba (rent a bike to get from site to site, and then to Valladolid (typical) for a night, then to Chichen Itza and stayed in Merida, (liked Merida a lot. You don't need a car there but don't bother to fly there from cancun. Go see the ruins at Uxmal for sure. From Merida we drove back toward Playa del Carmen and got on a car ferry somewhere south of there to Cozumel.(all in one shot) The "opposite side" of Cozumel is fantastic but you will need a car. I do recall the toll road from Merida to cancun as being pricey but considering what you are spending to get there and to rent the car it beats a bus, in my opinion. It was one of our best trips. Everything is close and the driving is easy. Hope you enjoy.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM

The rental car comes in handy to go to Uxmal (easy from Merida) or up to Progresso and other small sites. The toll road is worth the small money you'll pay compared to taking a bus or worrying about making your flight. We left at 8 in the morning from Merida for a 3pm flight and had time to spare.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. We have decided to rent a car so that part is decided. Thanks for all your input on places to go. I don't see anyone mention Progresso, is that worth the drive from Merida?

Any places you stayed that you would recommend? We prefer small boutique type places. Thanks!
Oct 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Can anybody comment on Progresso?