Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Riu Playacar Resort, Playa Del Carmen, opinions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/riu-playacar-resort-playa-del-carmen-opinions-228143/)

Nancy Jun 4th, 2002 07:09 PM

Riu Playacar Resort, Playa Del Carmen, opinions?

Hi! We are planning a vacation to PDC next year. Would like some opinions on the above resort. We are not fussy eaters, rooms are clean etc. Thanks for your help!

Jill Jun 5th, 2002 04:57 AM

My husband and I were there last week.<BR>We were very pleased with the property and loved the people working. They have a good time with their guests, especially the guys at the pool bar.<BR>The rooms were nice. They are a little musty as you have probably read before if you looked back at any past messages.<BR>I had seen that so I went prepared with my air fresheners. The place was very clean. Housekeepers do a good job.<BR>Keep the air on, the fan on and the door closed and you will be fine.<BR>We thought the food was very good. Like you we are not fussy eaters and like to try things we haven't had before. We did go to the Tequilia and the Yucatan for lunch one time and drank a few at their bars, too. Both were very nice, also.<BR>Entertainment was good. Much better than some we had seen at AI's elsewhere.<BR>The resort is small so it seems rather cozy and nice.<BR>When we arrived they had not restocked the mini-fridge so we called the desk and they came in just 1/2 hour to do so.<BR>The next time they stocked, they skipped us again. We told one of the head waiters at the restaurant and he sent someone. It had been done by the time we returned to our room. That I would say was the only thing they didn't do for us that they should have.<BR>If you have any other questions, I would be glad to answer.<BR>

Ali Jun 5th, 2002 05:50 AM

Nancy - <BR>Went to the Riu Playacar the first week in May. I would hihgly recommend it. I agree with Jill's post - great food, good entertainment, lots to do. The beach at this hotel was beautiful - it provided both sun and shade. The entire staff was wonderful - very friendly and would go the extra to get whatever you needed. We ate at the "steak" restaurant twice and the "seafood" restaurant once very nice. The Playacar is directly across the street from a little mall - I found that I could get prices just as good or better there then in town.<BR><BR>May was a good time to go - no rain for the entire week we were there and plenty warm.

Nancy Jun 6th, 2002 09:59 AM

Thank you for your help! I have one more question. Are there elevators in each bldg to access your room? I am travelling with two elderly people, so long flights of stairs could be a problem. They don't want to stay on ground level. I am assuming these building have three floors? I think second floor would be okay. Also, would you recommend a certain section avoid because of noise levels etc. Thanks again!

Jill Jun 6th, 2002 10:21 AM

Building 3 or 4 would be right in the center so you would not be next to the stage. We requested a ground floor room and they were more than happy to accommodate us with that so I am sure your request for 2nd floor would be honored if they have a room.<BR>I really didn't pay attention but I do believe there were elevators near the stairs.<BR>