Reload this Page >

Riu Playacar-how far from town?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:34 AM
Ally

Just booked a 4 night package at Riu Playacar. Last year I went to Reef Club and loved it, as it was a 'jungle' atmosphere. I've noticed that Riu is very, very cut back and that the room views are all looking at the buildings across the way with a walkway in between. I like to sit on my balcony in late afternoons, so I hope I'm not too dissapointed having nothing to look at but another building and a walkway! Anyway, I've seen conflicting reports about just how far it is from the town of Playa Del Carmen. Some have said 15 minutes, others have said 40 minutes! What's the 'real' deal? Thanks!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:45 AM
hans

Hi<BR>I stayed in the Quetzal next to the RIU<BR>hotels, walking was about 35 minutes, so from your hotel about 20-25 minutes to the harbour of Playa

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:13 PM
Debbie

The RIU Playacar is about a $3. U.S. or 30 pesos cab ride into town (they drop you right near the main square/ferry docks) and this takes about 3 to 4 minutes by car or, as Hans advises about a 20 minute walk into town.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Ally

Thanks Hans and Debbie. I like your answers! I wanted to be fairly close to town, now I know I will be!<BR><BR>Now, does anyone know what rooms might have better views?<BR>Thanks again.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Christie

All of the rooms have pretty much the same view since the buildings (6 of them) face the main walkway of the resort. We sat out on the porch and enjoyed the breezes, but no view of the beach. I'd ask for the front four buildings so the noise from the entertainment shows in the evening won't bother you.<BR><BR>There is also a shopping plaza directly across the street from Riu Playacar and it has some nice stores and a bank.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Ally

Thanks Christi!<BR>Can you tell me..just how late does the 'evening entertainment' last? I was thinking of trying to bribe the desk into giving us a corner room close to the pool, as I don't mind noise during the day, and thought the views might be better, but not if I'm going to be kept up all night from the 'entertainment'!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Christie

Most nights, it is going until close to midnight. Saturday night was the longest, and also the loudest...