Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Ritz Carlton, a real luxury resort? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/ritz-carlton-a-real-luxury-resort-237299/)

Yvonne McClean Jul 7th, 2002 07:09 AM

Ritz Carlton, a real luxury resort?

Help, I am going to Cancun with my husband and 7 year old daughter at Christmas. I don't normally like really developed resorts but thought it might be nice to spend a few nights in a really luxurious hotel with a kids club etc to chill out before travelling in the Yucatan. But is the Ritz Carlton the right resort?. Is it real luxury or has it gone downhill recently as I have seen suggested on other message boards. Where else would be good. I'll need cositing from the rest of Cancun I think. Any help would be gratefully received, Cheers Yvonne

Nancy Jul 7th, 2002 01:22 PM

Yvonne, you should get this month's Caribbean Travel and Life. It has a very nice review of the Cancun RC. We stayed there two years ago and found it to be very "cosseting."<BR>(My only complaint would be that dinners were extremely expensive - $250.00 for 2 - and the food not always up to par for the price.)

Sant Jul 8th, 2002 08:42 AM

The Cancun RC is very nice, no question. But in my opinion, go two doors down to Le Meridien or four doors down to JW Marriot. Both are very nice but less frumpy hotels and cost 50% less.

Nancy Jul 8th, 2002 09:30 AM

Sant,<BR>The RC is NOT frumpy. Stuffy, yes; overpriced, true.<BR>The JW and Le Meridien are both very nice also, but I did not find them to be half the price of the RC - especially in the off season.<BR>If you want to waft pretentiously through the halls in your designer duds, the RC is the gilt-edged choice for luxury in Cancun.

Sant Jul 8th, 2002 11:36 AM

Sorry, I didn't realize there was much difference between frumpy and stuffy. If stuffy is the better word, then so be it.<BR><BR>If you get air and package deals through websites like Expedia, yes, I do think stays at Le Meridien and JW Marriot can be had for around half the price, especially if you also factor in the cost of eating and drinking.

ann Jul 8th, 2002 01:57 PM

frumpy -- stuffy -- neither one sounds like much fun ;)!<BR>ann<BR>p.s. am getting very excited about my 1st Cancun trip in August ! Any advice either of you want to give that you haven't already will be much appreciated... thanks!

Yvonne Jul 10th, 2002 02:14 AM

I agree both frumpy and stuffy sound horrible but here's another question does any one know how warm the swimming pools are at these hotels?. I hate cold water. I hear Le Meriden has its 3 pools heated to different temperatures, does that mean that 2 of them are cold?<BR>Still not sure where to go &gt; I have found great deals of the RC on the net so the difference in price doesn't seem so much

Sant Jul 10th, 2002 06:56 AM

Ann:<BR><BR>Gee, I don't know what advice to give. I have been going to Cancun for 10 years now and it has become very touristy. But I don't care; the beaches are breathtakingly. The sand is soft and cool, the water Aqua Velva blue. That's what I go there for, the beaches, which in my opinion are the nicest in the world.<BR><BR>Yvonne: If you have found good deals on the RC, take it. The RC pool is heated like bathwater. Le Meridien's pools are heated but I couldn't tell much of a difference. They all felt nice to me (I went this past May).<BR><BR>You know, comparing the RC, Le Meridien, and WJ Marriot is like deciding between a Ferrari, Porsche, or Astin Martin.

ann Jul 10th, 2002 07:55 AM

sant:<BR>thanks for replying to my vague question! We're staying at the JW btw, and for Yvonne, I do notice that the JW's guestrooms (regular rooms) are a bit larger than the RC's. (from research on the hotel's web pages)<BR>Sant, I plan to try the restaurant Labna, if possible, since you gave it such a good review. Also, is it easy to catch the bus from the JW or that area? <BR>ann

Sant Jul 10th, 2002 10:39 AM

Ann:<BR><BR>Catching the bus is extremely easy. You just walk out of the hotel to the main road (Kukulkan Ave.) and a bus will be along in a minute or two, if not sonner. There is only one bus route so there's no confusion regarding which bus to take. I see no reason to spend extra money on taking a taxi.<BR><BR>I am jealous of your staying at the JW. I will choose the JW for my next visit to Cancun. Have fun, and do visit Labna. The food was very good and we were treated like important guests. If you go to La Habiceula, save room for the flambeyed desserts; they are to die for! Please give us a report when you get back.

Yvonne Jul 11th, 2002 04:41 AM

Thanks everyone for you help. I think I'll book the RC and enjoy their bath like pool, Cheers Yvonne