Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Rio taxi to hotel from airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/rio-taxi-to-hotel-from-airport-262853/)

Tony Oct 2nd, 2002 04:18 PM

Rio taxi to hotel from airport

We will arrive into Rio at 10 pm.<BR><BR>We are staying at the Sofitel. <BR><BR>What is the best way to travel from airport to Sofitel. Are there different kinds of taxis available to take? <BR>Thanks

Don Oct 2nd, 2002 04:36 PM

After you clear customs you will come out into the airport lobby. There are some taxi desks to the right red or blue taxis for about $20 to $25. At that time of night I would not recommend taking a ride from someone that is asking you if you want a taxi. Take an official taxi and don't worry about saving a few bucks. I assume this is the international airport.

Jill Oct 2nd, 2002 07:24 PM

These taxis that have their desks inside the airport terminal are called Radio Taxis. They are very reliable and safe.<BR>That is pronounced "hogio taxi" with the "g" soft like in Roger.<BR>When I lived in Rio there were 2 Radio Taxi companies in the airport - Transcopass and Cootramo. In 6 years of living in Rio, I could always count on these taxis for good service.<BR>Jill

George Oct 3rd, 2002 08:39 AM

Do they have any shuttle bus services that go directly from airport to beach front hotels ?? I am arriving mid afternoon into Rio. Would these shuttle buses, if available, be safe ?

Carioca Oct 3rd, 2002 01:56 PM

There is a bus because I know people who take it, they save money, it's probably only a few dollars. I think you can get it from the airport or the rodavario which is the centro bus station. But I think you get it from the airport. I never take it because I want to get to my hotel as quick as possible and $20 for a taxi is no big deal, why delay your arrival and sit in a hot bus and make stops all over the place.

Carioca Oct 3rd, 2002 02:04 PM

The bus is safe I would imagine but I am sure you have to put your bags under the bus so be careful when they make stops your bags stay on the bus. Either someone can take them by mistake or on purpose and then your $17 savings will be a joke. In taxis I always hide my money in multiple places using various money belts and I always leave some money in my pocket in case the taxi gets carjacked. I would give them the money I have in my pocket along with some expired credit cards and hope they leave quickly. I always tell the taxi driver to lock his doors as soon as I get in, you can't be too careful.

Joe Oct 31st, 2002 06:40 AM

I just returned from Rio. On Oct 24 the cost of the pre-paid taxi from the airport to Copacabana was 49 Reales, at the exchange rate as of that day (1 Real = 0.261 dollars) it cost $12.79. My hotel, the Rio Othon Palace offered prepaid cars for a mere 45 Reales on the return trip. Rio is an unbelievable bargain now.

CariocaRio Oct 31st, 2002 02:57 PM

Joe, where did you get that prepaid taxi? Was it inside the airport at the taxi desks outside of customs? Names like Coopertran or transcoopas? Thanks for the info because I will be there in 4 weeks and if that's the case then I will take a taxi from there.

Joe Nov 3rd, 2002 06:44 AM

Yes, the pre-paid taxi desks are just outside customs. You hand them 49 reales and they give you a voucher for the taxis which are just outside the building.

Jim Nov 4th, 2002 07:00 AM

You could get a helicopter - call Sofitel. Obviously it is more expensive than a taxi but it is loads cheaper than most normal Helicopter transfers. Might be better during the day but that is definately the quickect and most convenient way to get to your hotel.

BOBBY Nov 9th, 2002 02:03 AM

If anyone needs a car service from the airport I can arrange one for you. I have one of my drivers there at the airport with a sign with your name on it. He waits for you right outside of customs. It makes you life so easy. When making the pick up reservation let us know where you are going and the driver will take you there. I own www.blameitonrio4travel.com and we take care of so many english speaking cleints. It will be a pleasure to help you. Just let me know.<BR><BR>All the best,<BR><BR>Bobby

Connie Nov 9th, 2002 01:52 PM

Bobby,<BR><BR>How much do you charge for transportation from airport to Sofitel?