Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Rio questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/rio-questions-505703/)

Peep Feb 21st, 2005 01:32 AM

Rio questions

Hello! We'll be in Rio for a week at the end of March so I have a few questions. :)

- Is the tap water ok to drink? If not, do restaurants use purified water for ice? Any special precautions we should take regarding food and drink?
- I've read SOOOOO much about crime there. In the middle of the day in the main tourist spots, can we walk around with a camera around our neck or is that asking for trouble?
- We're vegetarians; any restaurant recommendations?
- Can we hail taxis off the street or is that not advisable?
- Any other tips for us?

Thanks!! I can't wait to go!!! We're spending a few weeks in Argentina first. Woo hoo!!!

miguelgcuadra Feb 21st, 2005 08:13 AM

You have to be on the lookout all the time but do not be so paranoid.

1- i have drank the water there and never a problem. bottle water is available everywhere. am sure restaurants use purified water, specially where most of the tourists hang out.

2- You can walk with your camera day and night, like any other big city, things happen and you have to be careful. Do not walk at night time by yourself, in dark places or on the beach. If you need to go someplace at night, get a taxi.

3- Am sure there are vegetarains restaurants, specially in Ipanema that is very trendy.

4- I have never heard anything about taxis and a problem hailing them. Make sure taxi is marked and has a meter.

Peep Feb 22nd, 2005 04:36 AM

Thanks!

Do you know anything about hiking in the area? Like moderate day hikes with cool scenery?

miguelgcuadra Feb 22nd, 2005 05:06 AM

No idea about hiking in Rio or around. There is a guy by name of Dondiega always posting here, he knows lots about Brasil, hopefully he will see your posting.

MelissaHI Feb 22nd, 2005 09:57 PM

I just got back from Rio and was surprised that none of the guidebooks said that the tap water was OK to drink....but it was! If you get worried, though, they have bottled water everywhere.

As with any busy city, just be careful with your things and aware of your surroundings. I never left my camera out around my neck, but at the same time I will admit that I missed some great shots because I had to dig the camera out of my purse.

I didn't try this, but I understand there is a place in Leblon called Vegetariano Social Club that serves tofu feijoada and organic wine! One thing I also enjoyed in Rio, believe it or not, was banana pizza. No tomato sauce, just crust, banana, cheese, cinnamon and sugar.

As for taxis--we hailed them off the street and it was okay. There was only ONE driver who was trying to rip us off and drive us in circles, and we kept arguing with him.....so we jumped out in a huff at a stoplight without paying, and he didn't stop us since he knew what he was doing.

I really wanted to take a hiking tour up Sugarloaf mountain, but my travel companions were not up to anything strenuous. I understand there are a number of trails in the Tijuca forest to hike as well, but I guess I'll have to hear about it from you!

elvisisdead Feb 23rd, 2005 06:41 AM

We went hiking in Tijuca Forest a couple of years back and had a great time! Great views and a nice park.

We actually went with Rio Hiking (I think they've got a website). They had only been in business a year and besides taking us on a hike showed us around the Santa Teresa district and took us to an authentic feijoida (sp?)lunch.

They also steered us to Manguera samba school one night.

I'm not a "tour" type person, but it was great to have someone point us in the right direction in such a big city. Fantastic people.

You could do the trails in Tijuca forest yourself, if you wanted.

I also talked to some people who hiked to the top of Sugarloaf (we took the gondola); they were dead tired, but enjoyed the hike.

Enjoy...

bshanley Feb 23rd, 2005 06:17 PM

Regarding crime: When I was there, I was so freaked out by the thought of crime, it was hard to relax. It never happened, but worrying about crime took some of the fun out of it. In fact, all the locals we met were extremely gracious. But when you see a security guard in a grocery store with body armor and a machine gun you have to wonder. And everyone else who had been there seemed to have a horror story, including getting robbed in the airport, and a shooting in front of the hotel.

MelissaHI Feb 23rd, 2005 07:15 PM

bshanley, I concur!

Boswell Feb 23rd, 2005 08:13 PM

I can second the recommendation of Rio Hiking (www.riohiking.com.br). Denise and her son Gabriel are great people and take good care of their clients. Tell them Tom sent you!

carioca Feb 25th, 2005 02:11 AM

A nice place to visit are the botanical gardens.Close by there is a great restaurant Dom João,with a beautiful view of the gardens.They have good salads.
Marcia

Peep Feb 25th, 2005 05:57 AM

Rio Hiking looks great! Just what I had in mind. Thanks! :)

pschatz Feb 25th, 2005 07:29 AM

Bottle water works everywhere. Be alert and don't wander at night with valuables, ATM cards or loose bags. I posted our experience from a trip we returned from this week. We saw a gunman stop a car while we were in our Taxi. It was scary and it was real. This was about two days after we said that we had no idea why all the fuss about security being an issue in Rio. It is a great place to visit. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't tempt anyone. Ipanema for a hotel or condo area is a must as compared to Copacabana. You really can't walk around Copacabana at night and even waiting for a taxi to come was a bit uncomfortable. We were checked out a lot and had 3 hookers approach us in about 4 minutes in front of a decent restaurant in a better Copacabana neighborhood.

pschatz Feb 25th, 2005 07:31 AM

Forgot to mention that in Argentina a great resouce for information and assistance is :

Daniela Rodriguez
Consult-AR International
www.consult-ar.com

Services in this country are very reasonable and it is a great place to use guides, transfer services (chauffers) and eat in great restaurants.

Art_Vandelay Feb 27th, 2005 05:57 AM

As a European, I feel much safer in Rio than in any big US city. Expat friends I was staying with recommended to stay away from the buses that can sometimes be hijacked or assaulted. Taxis are safe, have meters, and are cheap. The metro is also a good option (or a combination taxi + metro).
I am no veggie, but obviously it is very fashionable to be one in Rio, since veggie places are advertised all over the place.
As for the camera around your neck... well, don't overdo it either. They only thing I go pickpocketed for was a camera in Salvador. Thankfully, I had followed recommendations, and it was only a disposable one !

Dondiega Mar 1st, 2005 01:26 PM

Just got back from Rio, stayed in the heart of Copacabana, walked around Copa at night untill about midnight or so no problem, after midnight I took a cab, still no problem. Water is no problem but everybody drinks bottled water but when you brush your teeth or shower always some gets in your mouth. Either way you are going to see some difference in your system but rarely do I hear of people getting really sick. Also I eat food from vendors on the beach, sandwiches, fruit salad, pastries, all good and delicious, don't be afraid, try everything, its all good.

mikemo Mar 1st, 2005 02:55 PM

Younger son lived (a block from the beach at Ipanema) and worked in international banking for a Brazilian Bank for 3 years about the time "City of God" was made - his previous 9 months in Sao Paulo were far more dangerous in his opinion.
M