Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Rio or Buenos Aires? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/rio-or-buenos-aires-239394/)

Marthe Jul 14th, 2002 11:46 AM

Rio or Buenos Aires?

We are seasoned international budget travelers who have 7 to 10 days to spend abroad at the end of November. We are seeking advice on potential destinations. Which of these cities is more spectacular and why?

Fabio Antonioli Jul 14th, 2002 12:03 PM

Both are great destinations and November is a nice time to visit both cities. Rio is far more scenic, Bs As has a unique old-world atmosphere. To make the most out of yout stay, be sure to book accomodations in the one of the following areas: In Rio, it should be 'Leblon' or 'Ipanema'; in Buenos Aires, the 'Recoleta' district. Have fun!

Jill Jul 14th, 2002 12:10 PM

Rio is exciting in November, Samba schools are really heating up in anticipation of Carnaval. You can attend a Samba School Rehearsal which can be a wonderful experience, second only to actually experiencing the exuberance of Carnaval itself.<BR>Brazil will also be riding the World Cup High all year! My vote goes to Rio de Janeiro! Have fun! Jill

Larry Jul 15th, 2002 09:51 AM

Marthe -<BR><BR>I was recently in both of the cities.<BR>Rio is far more exciting than Buenos<BR>Aires. People are friendly, happy and<BR>if you exercise caution (don't wear<BR>expensive jewelry, cameras, etc.) and<BR>stay in busy areas you will enjoy Rio<BR>as it is very scenic with a lot to do.<BR><BR>I found Buenos Aires sad, expecially now<BR>witht heir financial problems. I found<BR>the streets dirty, many store windows<BR>boarded and a general depressing atitude among the population. If you go<BR>there take in a Tango House in the evening, go to Boca, a beautiful <BR>section of B.A. where the tango was born, and visit the Japanese garden.<BR><BR>There is so much to do in Rio....<BR>Corcovado, Sugar Loaf, Tijuca forest,<BR>and if you have time, try to go to<BR>nearby Buzios, beautiful beaches.LARRY<BR>

Evelyn Jul 15th, 2002 01:20 PM

Hello, <BR><BR>I would also vote for Rio de Janeiro, not only because it is my favourite city in Brazil, ..<BR>but you can be sure that you will love Rio, the people, the music, the nature, and the spirit of all there,..Rio is really the most wonderfull city of the world!<BR>Try it!!!<BR><BR>If you have special questions about Rio, you can send me an E Mail, cause I have been there a lot of times and could give you insider-advice!<BR><BR>Greetings<BR>Evelyn<BR>

Griff Jul 16th, 2002 12:27 PM

I have lived and worked in both. From<BR>a tourist standpoint I vote for Rio hands down. But be careful and stay in well lit crowded areas at night.

SiD Sep 13th, 2002 06:17 AM

SAME EXACT dilema I'm facing. I'm planning to go in January. Looking for a great nite life & beach.<BR><BR>I'm leaning towards Argentina, it might a little bit safer than Rio.

paul Sep 14th, 2002 02:19 AM

To SiD. Buenos Aires is my favorite city on earth outside of the United States. But January is the middle of summer and lots of people are out of town on vacation, which dampens the normally vibrant night life. <BR>Many vacationers head for the beach at Mar del Plata, one of my least favorite destinations in Argentina....MDP is something like Myrtle Beach, South Carolina or Panama City, Florida, or, perhaps, Atlantic City.....only the beach is not as good...very commercialized, overun with tourists, way too many tacky souviner shops....<BR><BR>Marthe...Novemeber is a good time to visit Buenos Aires. Spring-like weather, lots of people out and about...enjoy the parks, museums, etc (see argentina posts for things to do).....Whoever suggested that you stay in Recoleta was exactly right...a very nice area of town...clean, relatively safe...

Mary Sep 16th, 2002 06:57 AM

No doubt Buenos Aires is the best city in Latin America ! You have all the fun you have in Rio, but BA is more european, more glamorous, more fashion... In BA you have the best places to eat, great bars and pubs and the best discos, and now is so very cheap to do all the shopping! I recommend you check www.argentinago.com it will really help you with your choice !

John Sep 16th, 2002 07:02 AM

I would have to choose Buenos Aires, not only because I liked ir more than Rio, also because nowadays is safer (in Rio you cannot carry jewllery, expensive snikers, cameras, cool sunglasses etc... it is a bit unconfortable always to be extremally careful... so, go to BA !!

cd Sep 16th, 2002 11:39 AM

Frankly, it seems both of them are lacking. The economic conditions in Buenos Aires seem to have an effect on the character of the people, if not the architecture, which is more spectacular than Rio, which has natural sights. Both seem to be depressed financially, as there seemed little worth buying.

Todd Sep 16th, 2002 01:07 PM

Rio, by far. The people are friendly, nice, and beautiful. The beaches are active all day and night. November is a wonderful time to be there, since it is not too hot and it isn't overly touristy. Lots of beautiful scenery and the food is, in general, much better.

jen Sep 16th, 2002 01:14 PM

Been all over south America and I would have to say Rio. Rio is not dangerous, people like to blow things out of perportion, just because they have high poverty does not mean that it is dangerous. This is a great city! If you go, go with open eyes and you will love it. <BR><BR>

thesaint Sep 17th, 2002 06:30 PM

I totally agree with Paul. I love Buenos Aires. I've been there twice this year already and I just bought tickets for November and again in December for 15 nights (although I'm spending New Year's Eve in Rio).<BR><BR>Buenos Aires has it all.

Teresa Sep 18th, 2002 12:45 PM

Rio, no doubt!

info Sep 18th, 2002 12:49 PM

why not both? It takes a three hours flight .check our site www.apartmentsbuenosaires.com<BR>