Reload this Page >

Rio for New Years: Need affordable tour operator /guide for adventure trip

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm looking to take a group of friends (16 or so) to Rio for New Years for a culture/adventure trip. I’ve been doing a lot of research concerning the country and the various activities that are possible and pricing. Right now we are looking to include a good combination of the following (as many as we can get in) activities:

Treking & camping in the Land of the Giants
Scuba Diving
Hang gliding/ paragliding
Rafting (III – V)
Caving (caving with scuba in Chapada Diamantina?
Canopy tour ( I hear there is one that is 1000 ft long from 600 ft. in height)
Canyoning
Canopying
Swimming with dolphins
Of course party on New Years (recover on the 31st

15-16 people
7-9 nights (beginning on the 27th for travel)
Over New Years (27-5)

I was also wondering if you could suggest some accommodations. We're not looking for high end or fancy – just comfortable. It’s more about the activities and the culture and we need to keep the price down as low as possible. It would be great if food could be included.

If you know anyone who is an affordable and good quality/ dependable guide or tour operator please let me know. I’m flexible if it makes the trip a better experience and keeps the cost reasonable. Thank you for you time and assistance. I really appreciate it!!

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM

hi, sounds like a great trip planned, you'll need some days in and around rio by sounds of it,then up to chapada diamantina. Right, scuba diving, can be done about 1.5hrs from Rio in palce called arraial do cabo and cabo frio, hang-gliding / para-gliding here in Rio, I can recommed some instructors, best organized here so you can do on day of best weather, winds etc. The Land of the Giants is about 2 hrs from Rio, so also in area.
You'll need to fly to chapada diamnatina, is in Bahia, so flight then bus trip. caves, canyons, waterfalls, trekking, fabulous. Swimming with dolphins could be the hardest. in amazon pink dolphins.
I have used an agency in chapada, will find it for you and send it on.
what kind of accomodation do you want in Rio, hotel, hostal, shared rooms, doubles, I can help you with transport and guides for rio. I'll be in touch, good luck and let me know how I can help
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 05:27 AM

hiya, right the tour agency is called terra chapada, used them and they were great, site:
terrachapada.com.br, click on english flag. chat to emiliano, he should be able to help you out.Hope this helps. You'll need to decide how long to spend in both places.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you sooo much for your help. I'll definitely contact them. What is your association with them? How do you know them? I've found the activities I would like to do, but we really would like to have a guide. We are also looking for double occupancy hotel rooms, but nothing too expensive. like 3 star - middle of the road. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM

hi,right, re the terra chapada, I work with tourism here in rio and had some people coming over and wanting to go to the chapada> i got in touch with various agencies there. the one we usually used was way too expensive and not as helpful as usual. Terra chapada was the one that gave the best options and was quick to reply, and hlped to sort out difficulties we had with transport, time etc. The people who went were very happy and had a great time. They are part of a bigger company based in sao paulo and have good back up.
As for Rio, i guess you'd rather be on the beach, the hotels will be expensive as its new year, so prob 3 star will be the price of 4 star normally etc. I'll check things out for you and let you know ASAP. You would also need guides here in Rio for the land of the giant trip etc. I'll see what I can find out.Xheck out www.riotrilhas.com.br , www.ceb.org and www.aribira.com.br
hows your portuguese or spanish ?
take care and have fun, anything else let me know