rincon de la vieja

Dec 6th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

rincon de la vieja

Hello,
Is Rincon worth the visit? I rarely hear any comments about this area of costa rica.
Also, which itinerary by car is better:
Rincon-Monteverde-Arenal-SJ
Rincon-Arenal-Monteverde-SJ
Dec 6th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Itis six of one and half a dozen of the other.

The road are equally bad both way from either direct.

But that is the charm about going to Monteverde...the roads!!

Percy
Dec 6th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Rincon is one of my favourite areas of Costa Rica. Staying in one of the lodges there allows a visit to an interesting and 'non-touristy' destination.
Hiking is good in and near the National Park and the geothermal features are fascinating. During our visit last year we hiked for the better part of a morning on the property of Rincon de la Vieja Mountain Lodge and saw exactly two other people....two local fellows who passed us on horseback.

You can take day trips from nearby resorts to Rincon but I suggest staying at a local lodge and soaking up the atmosphere.

One comment- all three of the places you mentioned are mid to high elevation.
You might want to consider a lowland area such as the Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui region for a very different habitat.

For cloud forest you might also consider the San Gerardo de Dota area -which is much less 'touristy' than Monteverde.

cheers

Jerry
Dec 6th, 2005, 09:33 AM

<Is Rincon worth the visit? I rarely hear any comments about this area of costa rica.> Sssh. One of the reasons it's worth the visit is because you don't hear a lot of comments about the area. Most visitors to Costa Rica concentrate on Arenal, Manuel Antonio and sometimes Monteverde. That leaves other beautiful areas, like Rincon, virtually empty. I've been to Rincon three times and enjoy it each time. It is a huge park and you can go back again and again and not see the same areas. And it is not crowded at all.
As to your route choices, I think your first choice makes more sense. Going to Arenal first and then to Monteverde and back to San Jose seems like backtracking to me.
Dec 6th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all your helpfull responses. Rincon will definatly be part of our trip.
Adios
Dec 6th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Jerry and rbrazill said it perfecftly. Rincon de la Vieja is a delightful area. Enjoy it now--in a few years, it will be more crowded!

I agree you should end up at Arenal given the 3 locations you are looking at. On the other hand, I agree also with gannetmusic (Jerry) that you would love Puerto de Sarapiqui area. La Selva Biological Station would be a great place for you to visit with a guide. The other suggestion (San Gerardo de Dota) also is a fantastic area of the country to visit. So much to see--so little time! You'll be returning again soon!!!

If you substitute Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui (not to be confused with Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, southern Caribbean coast), you would do Rincon-Arenal-PVdS-back to San Jose (most likely). HAVE FUN!

Search this Thread