restaurants in Panama City & Boquete

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are returning to Panama after we fell in LOVE with the place two years ago. Headed to Bocas del Toro, to Old Bastamientos. Staying at Al Natural again...too fantastic for words. Remote. Non-touristy. Absolute bliss. The Belgians who run the place are like bohemian castaways.

This year, we've built in some extra time to explore more of the country, and plan to fly into David, probably rent a car, and drive to Boquete for a few days.

I'm going on several posters' suggestions for hotels in these areas, but I'm also a budding food writer, and would love to hit the best, most authentic restaurants while in David/Boquete and Panama City. It doesn't have to be fancy-pants food (although one or two swank meals would be nice). More looking for authentic, local and tasty--street vendors, mom-and-pops, ex-pats, hotels, etc. where the food is tops.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

-Colleen
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Colleen, check out http://www.czbrats.com for some restaurant suggestions. The site is maintained by people who grew up in the old Canal Zone. Many have now retired to Panama to live and the recommendations are very current.
I stayed at the Panamonte on my last visit to Boquete and the food was excellent. I also recommend the Coffee Estate Inn there. Enjoy your time in Panama. It is a beautiful country. Ten un buen viaje.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Panamonte has an excellent restaurant - owner is a well-known chef - Charlie Collins and while he's not always there his staff are well trained...
CMC mentions the Coffee Estate Inn - superb meals served on your porch by Barry and Jane but only to guests and with advance notice...

In Panama City one of my favorites is Manolo Caracol in Casco Antiguo - it's a set price menu that changes everyday - they just keep bringing out dishes - mostly seafood based but you can ask for no seafood and they will do other stuff (I have to do this due to an allergy)...
Then there's Rincon Suizo/1985 with a huge wine cellar, They also have Pomodoro's and The Wine Bar nearby for good wines by the glass and good Italian food...
Eurasia get's decent reviews but I wan't too impressed the time I was there...
I will be starting to do the reviews for a new local magazine so will have a much better idea over the coming months on the dining out scene in Panama...

Cheers,
Andrew
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 05:41 AM

Andrew, will the local magazine for which you are writing reviews of restaurants have a website?
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Tucked away in what looks to be someone's home, was an amazing restaurant (I'm talking feeling really out of place without a suite & tie!)--El Bodegon. Quite pricey, but good wine list (just don't ask for beer!), and wonderful food. There were 7 of us and we had a private room with unbelieveable service.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:44 PM

El Bodegon. Address: Calle 67, San Francisco City: Panama City ,
Province: Panamá Phone: (507) 226-1488
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:47 PM

Ditto the Manolo Carocol recommendation in Casco Viejo. You get many small courses of gourmet foods. A decent wine list. Make a reservation but plan some time to wander the area. When in the Chiriqui area if you want a great beach place, try Pacific Bay Resort. It's really not a "resort", it's better, but 3 good meals a day are included. Three beaches with no people on them. Kayaks and horses available to you. Boats for a fee will take you snorkeling if you want to venture away from Pacific Bay. WE never wanted to leave and we could snorkel off of South Beach. Make sure Frank, the owner, is there when you go and you will be treated well. It's about an hour drive from David. If you can get to Boca Chica, staff will pick you up in a boat and get you to the site. There are no roads to the place. If you are looking for another place on Bastimentos , check out La Loma Jungle Lodge (they are friends and supporters of Al Natural and run their place in a similar manner). A great jungle-y experience with excellent food made often from plants, fruits, vegetables grown on the property. Only 3 rooms and we were treated so nicely!! Both places made our top 10 list.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 02:01 PM

We just returned from a great 2 week vacation in Panama today. Will post trip report soon.

We only had 3 meals in the city - but they were all great: dinner at Limoncillo last night, lunch at Manolo Caracol (really loved this place!)last week, and dinner at Bristol Hotel's restaurant (blanking on its name at the moment). We also stayed two nights at Bristol and really enjoyed it.

Jane and Barry made us a great "in room" dinner on the night we spent at Coffee Estates. .. terrific dinner, lovely table setting with flowers. A great spot hosted by terrific folks . .

We also stayed one night at Panamonte. I wanted to appreciate its charms more than I actually did, but perhaps it's just because we'd come from Coffee Estates. Food was good at the restaurant, but I didn't think great. Sorry we didn't think to eat tapas in the bar, which is lovely. Our room was across the street in the yellow house - definitely historic, a bit on the musty side, but a comfortable bed and bath. Though $99 seemed high for that room.