Search

Restaurants in Oaxaco

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Ann

Restaurants in Oaxaco

Reading the travel guides has left me dazed. Where should we eat in Oaxaca? We would probably want to splash out on an expensive meal at least once, but the rest of the time would be looking for something more moderate.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 03:41 PM
mexicodan

Try www.oaxacalive.com <BR> <BR> <BR>adios! <BR> <BR>[email protected] <BR>www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Ann

Does nobody eat out in Oaxaca? Are there no personal recommendations?

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 08:36 AM
marilyn

I'm sorry, Ann, I was hoping someone else would reply because I am so bad at remembering restaurant names, but here goes...Our favorite place was La Olla, which I think has a listing in the Rants and Raves section. We were staying at the B&B in the back of the property. This is a family-run place with great, inexpensive food. Especially recommend the soups, the hot chocolate and of course the moles. The sandwiches at lunch time are much better than they sound on the menu. Also can recommend El Naranjo, which is in the guidebooks and sort of southwest of the zocalo. Very nice atmosphere and an interesting menu. <BR> <BR>We did not think any of the restaurants right on the zocalo were too great for a meal, but breakfast or snacks are fine and it is my favorite zocalo in Mexico. There are also a few nice restaurants up near the Santo Domingo cathedral--don't miss the regional museum there, it is gorgeous--but I'm afraid their names escape me. Dining at the Camino Real is very nice, in terms of service and ambience, though the food is pretty unremarkable. Also go to the Camino Real for the regional dance program on Friday evening. I think it costs about $30 per person and includes a big buffet--very festive.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Susan

Like Marilyn, I can't remember names very well, either. We had a very good <BR>meal at La Casa de la Abuela. It's a <BR>very attractive place with a nice view and lovely menu, though not cheap. We couldn't resist ordering the grasshoppers, but didn't like them much <BR>(way too salty). Everything else was very good. <BR> <BR>One of the best meals I've ever eaten in my life was in Oaxaca, at Susanna Trilling's cooking school. We spent the day shopping in the market with Susanna, <BR>and then cooking and eating at her home/cooking school in the countryside. For more details, look up my trip report (on Oaxaca and Huatulco). <BR> <BR>I agree with Marilyn that the Oaxaca Zocolo is wonderful. Any of the sidewalk cafe's should be fine for a moderately priced, simple meal. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Sharon

It has been 4 years since I was there, but found a delightful little place called "Quickies". About 2 blocks from the zocolo, but can't remember the street name. Another place was a Vegetarian Restuarant 2 blocks from the Rufino Tamayo Museum and on the same side of the street. Although they did serve some meat dishes they specialized in Vegetarian food. Hope they are still there. They very good and inexpensive.