Any experiences with GAP Adventures for Galapagos?

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 07:20 AM
gwp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any experiences with GAP Adventures for Galapagos?

Hello, Has any one used GAP Adventures for their Galapagos trip? They have great prices but I'm wondering about condition of the yachts, whether people thought their guides were qualified, etc. I would appreciate input! Comments about other companies would also be helpful -- I have a bunch of inquiries out to different companies right now and if you had a great (or possibly more importantly, horrible!) experience or other tips (I am using the Barry Boyce book as a guide), I want to know! Thanks. --GP
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:02 PM

gwp
Hi
Just got back from The Galapagos today ,September 3rd.!! I saw the GAP Adventure and it look a little bit under the weather, like it needed a paint job,it is probably a good Yacht, BUT , a much better one is the Isabella 2..if it cost more it is worh it, is really is a superb Yacht with a super crew and very very kowledgeable guides..
If you want I get give you the name of the tour company in Quito who booked mine, they were as excellent as you can get.
Percy
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:06 AM

Percy:
Hi! I'd love to get the tour company info for Galapagos. We're hoping to go in the spring.
Thanks!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:00 PM
peg

The tour company he is refering to is Sangay Touring in Quito. www.sangay.com

It is family run and they are very helpful.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:57 PM

LindaE

Let me give you the e -mail toMartin at Sangay Tours.
Peg is right. Hi Peg.
Anyway Linda the e- mail is:
[email protected]
The fellow is Martin Slater, his brother is Robin and they both run this tour company.
Robin came to visit me at the hotel and Martin met me personally at the airport on my way back from the Galapagos and we had a very nicer talk about everything.
Martin sent me pictures of himself and I did likewise,so we knew what the other looked like.
His tour company looked after me so good that I felt I was getting the Royal treatment always.
When you e mail to [email protected] put attention Martin and tell him that Percy from Canada said for him to look after Linda the way he looked after me.
The Spring is a nice time to go also, there is no bad time really.
In the Spring, the country side will be lush and green and the rainy season is enough to cool you down a litle.
It was in the 80's F and even on cloudy days you get a burn,so watch!!
I made notes everyday and I talked to the Naturalists and got many key points of what to do and what not to do etc..
I also spent 4 days in Quito, three before going to the Galapagos and one one the way back.
To say I had a great time on a lovely Yacht would be an under statement.
Say Hi to mArtin for me
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:48 AM
gwp
Original Poster

Thought I would provide a reply for anyone else interested in this company (I was the original poster, and had a fabulous trip in the Galapagos in 10/04, on the Flamingo, owned by Ecoventura). When we docked for refueling mid-week, one of the other boats in the harbor was a GAP Adventures boat. The passengers were clearly unhappy, with complaints ranging from overflowing toilets to bad food to I-no-longer-remember-what. What I *do* remember was the screaming match between the guests and the guides, which got pretty ugly. Meanwhile, we were greeted each day when we arrived back on the boat after our excursions by a smiling waiter with little snacks. Things weren't entirely glitch-free, but the captain and crew did their best to resolve any problems and keep people happy and relaxed. Bottom line: the GAP trips were inexpensive but they appear to be that way for a reason...not promising if you're going to be on the water for 4-7 days and have no fallback options.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Hi gwp

Glad you had a nice trip on the yacht you were on.

I agree with you some of those low priced yachts are low for a reason.

Galapagos is a one time trip in a lifetime ,so spend a little extra on a good yacht and crew and guides..they really make the trip

Percy