Notices

Restaurant recommendations in Playa Del Carmen

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant recommendations in Playa Del Carmen

I was wondering if any of you could recommend some good restaurants in Playa Del Carmen. We are staying at an All-Inclusive, but would like to get into town and check out some of the local flavor (and to break the monotony of the AI buffets). I have been doing some research on the internet and came across a few that seem to have good reviews (Yaxche Maya Cuisine, La Parilla, Aposionado). One other restaurant that I am very interested in hearing more about is Mil Y Un Alux - I have found two (vague) sites on this place, which is across the highway from the main part of town and is in a cavern with stalactites and cenotes throughout, and they have live music. Anyone been? Sounds intriguing.
We would like to hit some inexpensive spots (great burritos or fajitas), and probably one night out for a really nice dinner. I couldn't find sites with pricing.
Also, are there any places we should avoid? Has anyone gotten really sick from eating in town? Should drinks made with ice like margaritas be avoided in town?
thanks!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Just got back from PDC and you have a good short list except the cave one. Can't remember the name and I admit we did not try this one but we ran into several people who said it was really bad. EVERYTHING was musty including the food.

We loved Babes and Oasis as well as La Parilla and Yaxche. We did not care for the Blue Lobster but it was one of the last places we tried and after 10 days of excellent food, we were pretty spoiled.

There are just so many fantastic places....oh yeah and "Champagne and Pizza" was wonderful too. I'd almost forgotten that one!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

thanks jette!
Are the places listed pricey? Since we are paying for an AI when we are in town we won't want to blow the rest of the budget. Which place is good for a cheap (but good) beer and burrito to revive a day of shooping?
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Just went to Playa. Here is a link to my trip report that gives lots of info on restaurants. Best cheap eats I found were at La Terraya on the beach. Yaxche was good, Alux (cave restaurant) would be best for a cocktail after dinner just for the atmosphere. Food was ok, but not great and it was expensive. I will definitely return there, but for after dinner drinks. Cool places in the little caves you can sit and drink.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:18 PM

oops! Hit reply too soon! Definitely buy a map of Playa from mapchick.com, it was awesome! Here is my report:

http://playadelcarmeninfo.com/playa-...ead.php?t=7201

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:40 PM

I'll second the vote for Yaxche, although it is probably on the pricier side. I also liked da Bruno's for italian.

I'd suggest you check out Mil Y Alux (the cave place) for a drink in the evening - the ambience is pretty cool. However, I wouldn't suggest you eat there; the food isn't too good.

In terms of good (and cheap) grub at lunch, I'd suggest Oasis (on 12th, just west of 5th); they've got the best shrimp tacos I've ever tasted (and at a great price).
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info!
And loangalsal, your trip report was GREAT! Very informative (great pictures too). I feel like I've already been there! The next 8 weeks are going to be long...
And no one got sick from eating in town on your trip? I've never been to Mexico and that was a concern of mine.
So is Alux in Playa Del Carmen? We are staying at the Viva Wyndham Maya - so if I just got a cab they would know where to go? Is it within walking distance? I will definitely hit that spot for drinks on my trip. Seems like a really unique place.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:21 PM

I've been to Mexico several times and have never gotten sick. I don't think you're any more likely go get sick at the restaurants in downtown Playa Del Carmen as you are eating buffet food in your resort. These places cater to tourists and don't want anyone getting ill. That being said, I certainly wouldn't drink any tap water.

You would need to take a cab to get to Mil Y un Alux. Have to admit we've never made it there, although we talk about it every time we go.

If you get hungry for pizza, De Gabi, has pretty darn good wood fired pizza. Only a block off 5th Avenue, but I can't recall the street. Probably 12th or so.

jean
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 02:24 PM

longgalsal,
thanks too for the trip report! After reading it, I was sure I picked the right hotel, the Playa Maya, even though I was a little nervous...
Thanks !!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:14 AM

We just returned from PDC on Monday. We have been several times and keep looking for the best inexpensive restaurants. We really enjoyed La Tarraya, wish we'd discovered it sooner,it's on the beach at calle 2. While it doesn't look like much the seafood is great, drinks are good, and the prices are very reasonable.

Also, definitely buy a Mapchick map. That was the best 8.00 I ever spent.

Hope you have a great trip!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

I hear a lot about Mapchick on these message boards and EVERYONE seems to LOVE her maps. Are they more than just maps? Playa seems relatively small and I have found a few maps on the internet. Is that sufficient, or will a Mapchick map make my vacation a lot easier?
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Mapchicks maps are great, yes, it will make your vacation easy. Not just a road map, it shows the location of just about every hotel, store, restaurant, gas station, beach parks, etc. in the area.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Mapchick's map are well worth the price. We poured over ours before we went and by the time we actually stepped off the bus, we knew where everything was. She also provides all kinds of helpful hints for getting around and out of town.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:33 AM

for the nice dinner I highly recommend Byblos a french restaurant on 12th and 15th. A little expensive but very romantic and the food is fantastic. For a very good Mexican restaurant there is a new one on 5th past consitution many 4 blocks called La Deliousias or something like that. A wide variety and very good food and not real expensive.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

I have heard conflicting opinions on this and would like to hear what you think:
Some people say that you shouldn't eat any salads because you are likely to get sick, and others say it's no big deal. I really like salads, but REALLY don't want to get sick. Can anyone confirm or deny this? And if that's true, then wouldn't soup, margaritas, etc. be bad too?
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Byblos is WONDERFUL, ate there 2 trips ago. Expensive, but a great special night out.

The salad thing is (from what I understand) a concern about how the lettuce is washed before it gets to the restaurant or hotel that uses purified water. Salads are the only thing I ever avoid in Mexico, only been sick once in many trips to MX. I just try to do everything in moderation and don't worry about it.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:48 PM

The physician at the travel clinic we visited before our last trip was pretty insistent about not eating lettuce salads. Said the only way to make lettuce safe it to boil it. Not a very appetizing thought. Of course, we ignored him and ate lots of salads. We didn't get sick either. I'm sure one of these trips our luck will run out, but until then, we'll continue to eat and drink what we want. Jean
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:03 PM

We just returned last night from PDC. We went to Alux (pronounced Alush) Wednesday night and were fascinated by it. We intend to go back frequently in the future. If you're interested in some links to photos, let me know. My home e-mail is [email protected] When you go to Alux, tell Rene' that the balloon pilot said, "Hi".
Another fun and good restaurant is Captain Bob's, on 5th Avenue. Delicious steaks and Bob is a great guy.
Don't overlook going to Ajua's for a drink or dinner. It's on 4th between 5th and 10th. The bartenders are great guys. (Look for the resting sombrero).
s/RAM
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:10 PM

As a follow-up to my recent post about Alux, here's a link that will take you to a site where you can see a slide show of the most unique bar and restaurant I've ever seen.
http://www.villaflamboyan.com/milyunalux/
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

RAMIII, thanks for the link! I will not miss this place on my visit. I didn't even think about this until I saw the fans on the ceiling in the photos, but does it get REALLY hot in there?