Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Restaurant Advice in Mexico (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/restaurant-advice-in-mexico-103640/)

Susan Feb 2nd, 2001 06:03 AM

Restaurant Advice in Mexico

We're going to Pie de la Cuesta (outside of Acapulco), then Morelia and Patzcuaro at the end of February. For us, evening entertainment is usually a nice dinner. Any advice?

Annette Feb 3rd, 2001 03:42 PM

I'm sorry to sound cynical here...I find Mexican restaurants, outside the resorts, to be scary in terms of food poisoning potential. I have known many people who got sick after dining outside of their resort. Hopefully someone will be able to give you a suggestion for a safe, good restaurant.

Carl Z Feb 3rd, 2001 08:57 PM

The good thing about 'non-resort' restaurants is that people of Annette's ilk are rarely found in them. <BR>That kind of timorouness generaly keeps 'em penned up at night, a good deal for all concerned. <BR>Susan-Mexico is a country of 170+ million people there are restaurants galore, heck-triple galore! <BR>In P del la C Seafood (i love Dorado 'al mojo de ajo'-fried in Garlic Butter) will be the thing, in Morelia and Patzcuaro there are all kind of interesting places to try. <BR>The Mercado de Dulces (sweets market)in Morelia-ahhhhh!!!! <BR>I've been to all those places you mention but <BR>as with anywhere places open & close, staff/management change sometimes for better sometimes not. <BR>A good idea is to ask at your hotel, but if they can't recommend anywhere except their own place and it doesn't appeal ask your fellow travelers there'll be a lot of 'em always are. <BR>In Morelia there aren't quite as many Tourists so dinner will be more of a challenge remember that the main meal for many Mexicans is between 2 and 4 pm. <BR>Don't be afraid to bring out the dictionary and ask questions the more interesting/authentic places may not have any Ingles on 'la carta or 'el menu'. <BR>

Annette Feb 4th, 2001 05:54 AM

Hey Mr. Trailer trash, aka Carl Z: <BR> <BR>It sounds like you weren't raised with much class, so I know I shouldn't try to waste my time. But there was no reason to get snotty or defensive. I was simply expressing my experience. I know you probably don't leave the trailer park or projects too often, so I will cut you some slack. Have a nice life being a big, fat loser.

Susan Feb 4th, 2001 11:18 AM

Ok, guys, enough already!!! I've been to Mexico many times (and rarely stayed in resorts), but I haven't been to those particular places. I thank you both for your advice, but my advice to both of you is lighten up. Carl, there was no need to be snarky - Annette was just expressing her opinion and she was well meaning in her intent. Annette, just ignore Carl - yes, he does sound a little patronizing, but there's no need to respond to him like you did. Play nice, both of you.

Carl Z Feb 5th, 2001 11:16 AM

It's interesting that some women use 'fat' as a personal insult.It has to with their own 'issues' I suppose. <BR>As a matter of interest Mexicans find hefty people attractive, those of us who have lived/traveled there for decades know that.

Zach Feb 9th, 2001 03:16 PM

Hello Susan... <BR>Please, whatever you do, ignore Annette's ill-placed and obtuse remark about Mexican restaurants. It sounds a bit as though she is the one who doesn't get out of her ivory tower enough to find what's really happening in the places she travels to. Or maybe she is a cruise ship passenger... <BR>nonetheless, there are so many great restaurants in Mexico that you will have no problem whatsoever finding a place that's perfect for whatever you desire. Rather than repeat the posted material, I have to wholeheartedly agree with Carl's recommendations. <BR>You'll also marvel at it's general affordability. Please, for God's sake, don't limit yourself to the sterile confines of the Resorts! <BR>But, just in case, there's a Burger King in the Centro in Morelia!

Guillermo Feb 10th, 2001 11:22 AM

Susan: <BR>I live in Mexico and what I can tell you is to ask in your hotel for a restaurant, depending what you would like to eat, usually in the good places to eat you will find a lot of people. <BR>You should try the Mexican food, i'm sure that you already tried a Cesar Salad or a Margarita they came from us. <BR> <BR>You can find info from Morelia Michoacan in the next page: <BR> <BR>http://www.mexicodesconocido.com/Michoacan/mi199801.htm <BR> <BR>FYI Annette, I travel very often to the US and some times I also got sick, but always that I can taste something new, I'll do it !!! is part of the game.