Restaurant advice in Costa Rica - San Jose and northwest coast

Notices

Old Dec 15th, 1997, 11:58 AM
Pat Leivo

We are visiting Costa Rica in March and would like
some recommendations on some restaurants in San Jose
and the pacific northwest ( Ocotal) Local cuisine and fresh seafood are our preferences. Are prices still reasonable?

Old Dec 15th, 1997, 02:13 PM
Amy Bernard

I am also interested in this topic, since I'll be visiting Costa Rica in January. I am curious about places to stay as well; non-resort style accomodations that are simple, inexpensive but safe and comfortable. Any suggestions are welcome!!

Old Dec 16th, 1997, 04:55 PM
Jeroen

There are numerous places to eat in the northwest coast region. At the end of the main drag in Tamarindo is a small shack on the beach where you can get fresh fish and lobster at a ridiculously low price. Also, many places serve ceviche and it is also inexpensive. Just stay away from the resorts, they tend to be high priced. Most meals are served with rice, beans, and fried plantains. I have not stayed in San Jose long enough to visit their eateries so I don't have a clue. Depending on where you are travelling to in the Northwest will depend on places to stay. There are plenty of small cabina run facilities in Playa Hermosa, Playa Grande, and Tamarindo. Our favorite place to stay is Hotel Dolly in Tamarindo. It is the cleanest and well run and it is on the beach. We are also going in early January and we will be staying there. If you feel adventurous you can camp out where ever you like. Costa Rica is the safest place and I have never felt threatened. It will be the dry season when we go so that also could be a possibility for you. Since you are going in January you need to check out Playa Grande. At night, turtles the size of V.W. Bugs come and lay their eggs. Definitely a spectacular site. If either of you have any more questions feel free to e-mail me.

Old Jan 4th, 1998, 03:31 PM
Marc

My wife and I were in Playa del Coco (5kms north of Ocotal) for 2 weeks at the end of November and beginning of December. There are loads of restaurants in Coco and all relatively cheap (we thought anyway). Our favorites for seafood were Marisqueria (seafood restaurant) La Guajira and Papagayo Seafood Restaurant. We almost ate at a different place everynight and still didn't get through all the places. We'd eventually stop at San Francisco Treats for dessert after our dinner every nite.

Playa Hermosa also has a few seafood places and the one we went to was called Aqua Sport Seafood Restautant, right on the beach, part of a small complexe. The Paella was recommended to us and it was great (6000 colones for a huge platter for 2, and we didn't finish it). You have to ask for it though because it's not on the menu.

Have fun and e-mail me if you have any further questions about the area...

...Marc

Old Jan 17th, 1998, 07:14 AM
bon

Best food we have ever eaten in C.R. was at the Amstel Hotel. Small, cozy,lienen clothes, fresh flowers and wonderful service. Moderately prices; but, food is superior to any that we have paid considerably more for. Have had fish numerrous times (Corvina) and prepared beautifully. also, vegetables are wonderful. The owner of this hotel is Dutch and also owns the Bouganvilla Hotel in which we have not dined. But, friends of ours were there last year and gave rave reviews. Worst food we ever tried to eat was in Playa Cocoa. But- it is beautiful. Bon