Resort for single women Riviera maya

Aug 5th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Resort for single women Riviera maya

I am recently single and just need to get away.I usually stay away from Cancun,go further south.I have been looking at all inclusives,but it's difficult to know a resort that will not be all couples.I am not a kid,don't need all night dancing or partying,just a resort where I can relax,have fun,and meet some people to talk to,eat wuth,do some activities.
Aug 5th, 2019, 08:16 PM

Not a resort per se, but Isla Mujeres is small enough to be almost like a resort. There are a couple of AI's. But the main attraction is that it's intimate but yet has an island vibe. Safe, quaint, so walkable, beaches free of sargasso. Close to Cancun so easy access. Enough nightlife for mature adults.
Aug 6th, 2019, 04:32 AM

Through the years we have seen hundreds of single women in Playa and for all the right reasons...
Aventura Mexicana , right in center town is popular and you can choose meal plan or not... You are free to roam about at anytime of day. Not sure about the beach conditions, but you can check things out from a beach bar and On Thursday it is ladies night at Dirty Martini on 1st. Ave.... We usually get there around 5 and leave around 7 for dinner at Babes (Thai restaurant) on Calle 10.

Last edited by Rohelio; Aug 6th, 2019 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Précise info
Aug 6th, 2019, 04:38 AM

You say you don't want the resort to be all couples. Does that mean you are looking at an adults only resort? If not, most resorts are family oriented, not couples.
Aug 6th, 2019, 06:22 AM

I travel solo to Puerto Vallarta (the "other" side of Mexico) twice a year. I am comfortable alone in either a basic local Mexican-styled hotel or renting an apartment or condo. I like the freedom and the privacy. I still do meet people where I'm staying but it's not a party scene unless I go out in the evenings to clubs, bars, restaurants. I don't think I personally would care for a resort so never tried one, but my impression is they are geared for families or couples for the most part. If I were headed to the Caribbean side I'd look at Isla Mujeres or Playa del Carmen myself.
Aug 6th, 2019, 08:50 AM

As far as single goes, wether you are male or female, most singles prefer AI. The fact that you are registered in the same complex, the fact that the majority of singles always congregate at the pool bar and also the fact that you have many things in common with the immediate surrounding area, goes a long way when wishing to meet and exchange... wayyy better than trying to meet on the street or restaurants or public establishments, especially in another country. IMO, I would go AI in Playa...
Aug 6th, 2019, 12:45 PM

I've only stayed at one AI a few years ago after losing my husband and that was the Akumal Beach Resort, now remodeled and called ABBWR or Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness. It has however gotten very expensive in the last year. One thing to take into consideration is the majority of AIs charge a single supplement so check into that before booking.
Isla Mujeres is a good suggestion and very single friendly.
Aug 6th, 2019, 12:59 PM

As far as single goes, wether you are male or female, most singles prefer AI

Wrong. That is simply not true.
Aug 6th, 2019, 02:26 PM

I think I'd head over to Isla Mujeres. That sounds like a good fit for what you are looking for.
Aug 6th, 2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by suze View Post
As far as single goes, wether you are male or female, most singles prefer AI

Wrong. That is simply not true.
I guess since you say you don't do resorts, you couldn't really know one way or the other if that's true or not.
Aug 7th, 2019, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by baldone View Post
I guess since you say you don't do resorts, you couldn't really know one way or the other if that's true or not.
Yes, I was wondering the same thing... but then again... !
Aug 7th, 2019, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

I don't know how my original post dissolved into a discussion about resorts..all I am asking is for a recommendation for an adults only resort that will not be all couples,so I can make some friends .male or female,to do things with,eat with,etc.
I did go to ABBWR.Loved it.It was where I was supposed to go in May before my relationship ended and I had to cancel because their single supplement is too high.I have also been to the Royal,now the Hilton,in Playa.I liked that and was considering,but their beach is crappy and I like the ocean.I want to be able to have activities during the day,and some entertainment at night
Aug 7th, 2019, 04:10 AM

Since you like the ocean and beach I agree with those who say to check out Isla Mujeres. Beautiful beaches and they haven't had the sargassum some other areas have had.
Aug 7th, 2019, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

While I appreciate the suggestion,I looked at resorts on Isla Mujeres.Unless I am missing something,there were only a few,and all the reviews said there was really nothing to do but hang out at the beach/pool.isolated,no activities,etc
Aug 7th, 2019, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by watsonscotty7024 View Post
I don't know how my original post dissolved into a discussion about resorts..all I am asking is for a recommendation for an adults only resort that will not be all couples,so I can make some friends .male or female,to do things with,eat with,etc.
I did go to ABBWR.Loved it.It was where I was supposed to go in May before my relationship ended and I had to cancel because their single supplement is too high.I have also been to the Royal,now the Hilton,in Playa.I liked that and was considering,but their beach is crappy and I like the ocean.I want to be able to have activities during the day,and some entertainment at night
You are correct, as a regular on this site, I do find it sad that some posters feel the need to rate and police other peoples answers and this even though they have never set foot in the area in question. That said, I still feel that you should check out establishments along the coast. Such as, Puerto Morelos, Playakar, Akumal and Puerto Aventuras (where we used to own a condo)
All of these places have AI big and small. They are all subject though to sargassum but keep in mind that most AI have maintenance crews to regularly clean their beach front. Puerto Morelos has a small village along the beach that is very nice and full of restaurants, plus a beautiful beach dotted with beach bars, and so does Puerto Aventuras which is a closed gate community by the way...
Aug 7th, 2019, 06:04 AM

baldone/rohelio - because I know a lot of single people from home, who vacation in Mexico, are single, and do not go to All Inclusive resorts. I don't think you are a single woman in her 60s, per this request, yet we welcome your contributions and thoughts nonetheless.
Aug 7th, 2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by suze View Post
baldone/rohelio - because I know a lot of single people from home, who vacation in Mexico, are single, and do not go to All Inclusive resorts. I don't think you are a single woman in her 60s, per this request, yet we welcome your contributions and thoughts nonetheless.
That's very gracious of you.
And I don't think, per this request, that you've ever been to the Riviera Maya nor a resort.
L.W.
Aug 7th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Apparently I need to clarify...

When I wrote "I don't think you are a single woman..." I was speaking to Rohelio and Bald One not to watsonscotty7023.
Aug 7th, 2019, 12:51 PM

If I was going to return and do an AI and cannot afford ABBWR, I would take a look at Catalonia Royal Tulum on beautiful Xpu-Ha beach just north of Akumal. AO, no dress code or reservations for dinner. However it is not close to towns and sounds like you might like someplace in Playacar instead which you can take a short taxi ride or walk into Playa del Carmen.
Aug 8th, 2019, 04:35 AM

I agree on looking at the resorts in Playacar. Most are family oriented. Sandos Playacar has an adults only section.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO