Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Reserva Conchal in Guanacaste,,,anyone been to this area?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/reserva-conchal-in-guanacaste-anyone-been-to-this-area-386346/)

mrsdarwin Jun 29th, 2008 05:10 PM

Reserva Conchal in Guanacaste,,,anyone been to this area??

this will be our 2nd time to CR. The first being a few years ago to MA and stayed at the Mango Moon recommended by many fodorites. memories of my coconut margaritas are still with me. This trip we will take the kids(8, 6, 4 yrs) and fly into Liberia and rent a condo at Reserva Conchal at Playa Conchal. Anybody been around this area? Any tips would be appreciated, fodorites always have opinions. We will venture off the property to dine and go to markets, town, etc. trying to decide about public transportation/renting a car as well. Happy Travels and Many Thanks, MOLLY

shillmac Jun 30th, 2008 04:41 AM

A car will give you a tremendous amount of flexiblity for that area. There is much to see and do to the south and to the north.

North:

Playa Brasilito, 1 min down the road--Camaron Dorado on the beach is a great restaurant.

Playa Flamingo--great sunset viewing, restaurants Maria's, Mar y Sol.

Playa Potrero--up the dirt road from Flamingo, nice littl bakery, El Castillo (also a sandwich/pizza shop)--several other beaches like Playa Penca, Sugar Beach.

from Potrero you can also access the dirt Monkey Road that provides a short cut up to Playas Hermosa/Ocotal/Coco area. At Hermosa, Ginger is a great little restaurant.

South:

Playas Grande (turtles Dec-Mar), Tamarindo for dining & shopping, also other surfing beaches nearby like Avellenas, Negra.

Not far from the Tam area is Santa Cruz town. About 10 km into the country from there is Guayitil, a pottery making town. If you like that sort of thing, worth a visit.

Have fun!

mrsdarwin Jun 30th, 2008 07:55 AM

thanks shillmac. glad you are around. what "excursion" do you recommend. I know i cannot expect my children to raft, do you have a boat recommendation that would still get us on the river and look at the animals?

ewesthoff Jun 30th, 2008 08:18 AM

as Shillmac has previously posted, having a car is definitely the way to go. We stayed in Playa Hermosa and hopped from town to town, which was awesome. We also ventured to Rincon de viejo with our little one and took the short trail, which was also great. The howlers under the canopy of the jungle was incredible. The only bad part was first finding the road, then driving down the dirt/rock/pothole road that my back is still feeling. lol. anyway, it is a great area, one of our favorites. Playa Hermosa also has calm beach that is great for little ones that has a couple of great places to stop at eat as well. Hope you have a great trip.

dweissnj Jun 30th, 2008 10:23 AM

A condo is a great way to enjoy Conchal. The new beach club is fantastic, and you can opt in or out of the all inclusive.

You got to have a car to visit all the great restaurants outside of the resort. Shillmac gave you the highlights already.

Palo Verde boat tour is the best way to get the kids on the water to see wildlife. You can get tours from the providers on the beach. Totally legit, check for ICT tourist board registration licence.

I have a condo there, so if you have any other specific questions, I would be happy to help. david at playaconchalcondo.com

mrsdarwin Jul 1st, 2008 03:09 AM

has anyone taken the public bus transportation...transportes la pampa to get from Liberia to Tamarindo? If so, thoughts and cost? I can't figure it out on their website.
We will be renting a car. But I think we will rent it in Tamarindo b/c my departing flight leaves 7am and i don't want to be driving at 4am on those roads.
thanks for the restaurant and excursion thoughts. keep em coming.