Search

Rental in Puerto Vallarta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental in Puerto Vallarta

Hi! Looking for some help/suggestions on a villa/condo rental in Puerto Vallarta. There are 4 adults, no kids, and we're looking for a nice, clean, beachfront place with a pool. We've never been to PV before, so a good location is important, too. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:51 PM

Your choice of condo will depend heavily on where you want to be located.

If you want to be close to all the "action" you should stay in the Old Town; the condos (at least the ones we've stayed at or seen) tend to be in the middle price range and have decent amenities. The beaches are OK (at least for PV), great restaurants are only a stone's throw away and there are always plenty of people around. I'm familiar with the El Dorado Condos and Plaza Mar, but there are a bunch of condos on the beach.

If you want to be in a more quiet, newer area (in a more planned, americanized setting) you'll want to try the marina area (a $5 cab ride or inexpensive bus ride to town). The condos here generally have all the amenities of upper end hotels; larger swimming pools, better amenities, and the beaches are deserted. We've stayed at both the Bay View Grand and Portofino and they are comparable to 5 star hotels.

I myself can not give an opinion on which area is better; they are both so different. Wherever you decide to stay, check out vrbo.com. We've rented from owners off the website for five years and have always had great experiences.

Enjoy..
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My thoughts are along the same line as above. <good location> can mean many different things in PV, all within ~1 hour drive around the Bay of Banderas.

South of the River (also called Old Town or Zona Romantica) is a more "Mexican" area with cobblestone streets, red tile roofs, local 3-star hotels, main public beach and a very pretty part of town.

Then there's El Centro, the true downtown core.

The Hotel Zone is a strip along and between the water and main drag coming to/thru town.

There's The Marina where you'll find places like Casa Magna Marriott. More Americanized and more expensive than downtown.

The airport and bus station.

Continuing on to the north you will find the majority of newer resorts and developements in the area called Nuevo Vallarta.

My best suggestion is to find a map of PV so you can get an idea of how things lay out in and surrounding town.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:58 PM

We went (4 adults) and rented a gorgeous 2 bedroom villa called sueno tropical. It's in the conchas chinas section of PV. the house is NOT on the beach, but it's has a wonderful infinity pool overlooking the ocean. There was a fabulous cook on premises. We LOVED it here. (and cabs are plentiful to make it easy to get to a beach if you'd like.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help. We are looking at a place called Casa de los Delfines (Home of the Dolphins), which overlooks the Malecon in downtown Puerto Vallarta. Does anyone know anything about this place? The location? It says its 2 blocks from the main plaza.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:15 AM

check out www.mexicovilla.com for a great value. Being inside of Puerto Vallarta is okay but being on the North shore where the beaches are wonderufl is the best. The new highway make it easy to go into PV when it is necessary for shopping or a special restaurant. The North shore, Pta. Mita, Sayulita, Bucerias and La Cruz are places not to miss.

A good house with good maids and a good view are essential. Check out the website above.

Good luck!!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Bpesta, If the condo overlooks the Malecon realize that although you may be near the ocean techically, this is not a beach where you'd hang out. Two blocks from the main plaza is fine, just expect that you are in the middle of El Centro (downtown) and will have a bit of city noise, traffic, etc.

From the Malecon to walk to the beach of Playa Los Muertos (mail local beach with swimming, restaurants, the pier, activities) is the closest place to go if you want to "go to the beach" and is ~8-10 blocks, maybe 15 mins. walk heading down "south of the river".

I would never stay north of town because while the beaches are pretty, there's "nothing to do" IMO.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Hi!

We stayed at the House of the Dolphins in January and loved it! Your landlord, is very accomodating. The location is superb, although they are working on extending the malecon there. It began while we were there and they should be finished by April.

It is very spacious--great views of the sunsets and the pirate ship which sets off fireworks each night. Easy walk to virtually everywhere in town. One bedroom is huge (King size bed) and large bath, the other is queen-size with the bath off the kitchen. We managed just fine. I booked it for us and another couple and we took the smaller room 'cause we had taken the larger one the last time we had traveled together.

There is a pool on the rooftop (one flight up) but it is shallow (about waist deep)

Michael furnished us with a bottle of red and one of white wine, a six pack of coke and one of coke light, a huge bag of great coffee for our stay.

The building is secure. It was not noisy.

We enjoyed it!

Jean
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jean, for the info. I really appreciate it!