Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Rent a condo in Akumal? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/rent-a-condo-in-akumal-920826/)

Kristy88 Jan 22nd, 2012 09:19 AM

Rent a condo in Akumal?

My husband and I are considering a trip to Mayan Riviera (didn't make it last year) and we looked at the Hotel Akumal Caribe upon recommendations from this forum. However, I was looking at some of the condos/bungalows on Locogringo and they look pretty nice - some even with pools. We like the Akumal area because we are both looking for a laid back vacation with nice beach we can swim/snorkel at from shore. Don't want to leave the area much other than maybe a visit to Xcaret and Tulum Ruins/beach for the day. Possibly the ferry over to Cozumel but we will only be there 4-5 days. The area looks so beautiful and tropical to us. My questions are (for those who have visited the area):

Do you think renting a condo is a bad idea?

Are there any grocery stores that sell USA products in Playa or Cancun? I like to cook alot of my meals and maybe just save going out for dinner. Our plane doesn't get into Cancun till 5 something PM and with having to go through customs and who knows how long at airport we decided to stay the first night on Cancun Beach and make the trip down to Akumal the next day. Plus we really want to enjoy the scenery in daylight on the way down there. We can pick up groceries on the way.

Do you think renting a car is a bad idea? Is it expensive? Cheap?

jamie99 Jan 22nd, 2012 11:24 AM

I have stayed with a friend in a condo on Aventuras Akumal (you need a car there as it is long walk into Akumal to eat, shop, etc.). There are a lot of nice condos on Half Moon Bay and Locogringo is selective in their listings. There are two mini markets in Akumal but stopping on the way down is probably a good idea, there is a new Chedraui right off highway 307 outside Puerto Aventuras as well as the Soriana on the southern outskirts of PDC, both of them are large stores and carry a lot of stuff.

We've had a car (friends and I split the costs) and it was very handy. If you want to take a transfer, I've also used USA Transfers, $130 for 1-3 people last year roundtrip (that is for the van, not per person).

zootsi Jan 22nd, 2012 11:54 AM

Akumal is a great area to rent a condo. One thing to be aware of is that many of them are not on a sandy beach, but on rocky stretches. You may have to walk or drive to Akumal Beach or Half Moon Bay. Also be aware that Half Moon Bay, although quite scenic and quiet, is not an ideal swimming beach - lots of rocks, coral, etc on the bottom - great for snorkeling however. There are two fairly well stocked mini marts right in Akumal, and several large supermarkets within a half hour drive.

Kristy88 Jan 22nd, 2012 12:29 PM

Thanks for your recommendations. Yeah I noticed some had more rocky beaches than others and some looked like they had soft white sand. Hard to tell with photos because they may be showing you a photo of the best part of Akumal to make it look like that is where it's location. I don't mind walking for a little bit to get to a good beach, but not more than like 5-10 minutes.

I have weird diet requirements so I need a pretty Americanized supermarket that sells weird things like soy cheese, almond milk and such. May not even sell those things there, but can't hurt to try.

jan47ete Jan 24th, 2012 09:04 AM

We stayed on Half Moon Bay in a condo. Unfortunately so long ago I don't remember the name but had a great time. It was a small building with all about 8 units facing the beach with 2 hammocks on your deck. The pool was below and the beach beyond that.

We did not wear a watch but I lay on the hammock, then moved to the pool and ended up at the beach and then started all over again. We were able to walk about a few hundred yards to a hut bar and even a snorkel area which was free at the time but now has an entry fee.

So your idea of a relaxing time has merit, so enjoy.

jamie99 Jan 24th, 2012 12:19 PM

Snorkel area which has an entry fee would be Yal-Ku Lagoon at the far north end of Half Moon Bay, don't remember a hut bar there, La Buena Vida beach bar and restaurant is about halfway to Akumal from Yal-Ku but would not describe it is a hut bar.

sylvia3 Jan 24th, 2012 12:52 PM

I can recommend Seven Seas (Akumal Sur), as a very nice complex. Close enough to Akumal if you need the grocery, lagoon, restaurants, etc. Nice pool, excellent beach. (Logogringos list them, but you might do better pricewise contacting various owners via VRBO.)

http://www.akumal-sevenseas.com/AboutUs.html

jan47ete Jan 28th, 2012 12:57 PM

Just putting all my travel info in order and found a budgettravel.com article of 1/31/2011 for the Posada Que Onda at Akumal and it sounds like you might want to check it out at queondaakuymal.com.

jamie99 Jan 29th, 2012 12:15 PM

Unfortunately Posada Que Onda is no longer open as a hotel or restaurant (their food was really good), sometime middle of last year it became an artist retreat.

sassy_cat Jan 29th, 2012 01:59 PM

Kirsty, you can get some of the groceries you need at the large Chedraui stores. I've seen soy milk and yoghurt but not soy cheese ( but, hey I wasn't looking for it).

There are a few Chedraui stores between Cancun and Akumal. The nearest one to Akumal is about 10 miles before the turn off.

We've stayed in condos at Vista Del Mar and Las Iguana (part of La Sirena condo complex).
Vista Del Mar is mid way along Half Moon Bay with a sandy beach.

We've always rented a car as it's just easier to get around.

Kristy88 Jan 29th, 2012 02:46 PM

Thank you all for the recommendations.

I have been wondering if staying in Playa Del Carmen is a better choice since it is more centrally located to everything. Does anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive resort in Playa that has wi-fi internet in the rooms, on the beach, nice pool and with a "tropical" jungle type look?

zootsi Feb 5th, 2012 07:10 AM

Hi Kristy, just got back from our 8th trip to the area. Akumal is VASTLY different from Playa. Playa is a fairly large city with tons of restaurants, shopping, nightlife, etc. Akumal is a quiet little enclave of condos, hotels and a few restaurants. Both have great beaches, although you can snorkel from the beach at Akumal. Akumal is about 25 minutes south of Playa. It depends on what you want - we have stayed at both towns and loved them. I'm not sure what you mean by centrally located. All attractions are easily driven to from either town.

fouDor Feb 12th, 2012 06:44 PM

If you like snorkelling your best bet would be to stay in Akumal North, where you have 3 great & DISTINCTLY different from each other areas: Yalku lagoon (fresh water mixing with sea water, large submerged rocks, mostly colourful fish), Half Moon Bay (squid, sting rays, coral) and Akumal beach (turtles) -
Yalku is over 2km away from Akumal Village - have a look at maps.google.com, type in search field: Akumal, Mexico then switch to satellite view and zoom the scale - you will see exact distances of all these three areas!
I agree with zootsi regarding PdC v.s. Akumal...
If you do decide to go to Akumal here are my suggestions:

First of all - since you are planning a short trip, I would suggest to get a car upon arrival
and secondly - skip the overnight in Cancun (it would be a bit of waste of time really).

The drive from CUN airport to Akumal is about 100km and takes just a bit over 1hr. The road is excellent - probably one of the best in whole of Mexico (we drive to Mexico every year). The road is not scenic at all - so you do not miss much driving in the evening.

En route to Akumal - you can try to get your grocery shopping at Chedraui in Puerto Aventuras - easy to find on the right side of the road as you approach Pto Aventuras.
Your next stop some 15-17km later is Akumal.
If you do not shop right away, you can zip out next day in the morning. FYI on Wed and Sat there is a "mercadito" at the main "square" (basket ball court) in Akumal - fresh veggies and fruit - relatively reasonably priced (not as good as supermarket - but at least close by).

Regarding condo suggestions: what are you after: view? price? proximity to the "centre" of Akumal North and its best as well as the busiest beach? Or rather Half Moon Bay and Yalku?
The road that links Akumal North with Yalku is paved and a very easy walk really, but longer than 5min.