Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   remote beaches near puerto vallarta (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/remote-beaches-near-puerto-vallarta-496240/)

balasteve Jan 17th, 2005 08:21 PM

remote beaches near puerto vallarta

We are taking a group trip to PV in March and are looking for a fun day trip to a remote beach - one accessible only by water. We want to avoid the crowds and booze cruises, and are willing to spend some $$ to do so. What is the best beach and transportation there?

faithie Jan 18th, 2005 03:43 AM

Yelapa is incredible , but could be crowded at times . Check out Mahajuitas . awesome looking place .Look ar it on A different World .

suze Jan 18th, 2005 06:36 AM

Having spent quite a bit of time in PV, I still can't think of one that fits your description except Yelapa and that gets visited by lots of people every day!

There are many beaches both north and south that are fairly isolated but you'd get there by car or bus.

One thought is to go to the pier at the main local beach of Playa Los Muertos where all the water taxi drivers gather and see what you can work out with one of the boats there.

balasteve Jan 18th, 2005 09:04 AM

Well, the beaches I've read about, in addition to Yelapa and Mahajuitas, are Yelapa, Quimixto, and Los Caletas. Any thoughts on which of the above is best?

balasteve Jan 18th, 2005 09:05 AM

Oops, meant to say Los Animas, not Yelapa again.

suze Jan 18th, 2005 10:56 AM

steve- I'm pretty sure some of those are names I recognize as included on booze cruises & snorkeling tours you are hoping to avoid. I'll check a couple places and see if I can get you a better answer.

butsey Jan 19th, 2005 09:49 AM

Went to Los Animos once really beautiful white beach and water is so blue only thing is you can only get there by boat and we all got seasick. Wish we could have enjoyed it. Try it if you don't get seasick

balasteve Mar 5th, 2005 12:29 PM

Well, we just got back from PV, and had a great trip. We ended up taking a bus to Boca de Tomatlan, and from there a water taxi to Yelapa, where we spent a delightful day on the beach. Yelapa is gorgeous - it's in a cove, a little protected from the big wind and waves of the Banderas Bay, surrounded by beautiful mountains, with a small village of houses and commercial establishments all around the cove, and climbing part way up the mountains. We passed Las Animas, Quimixtos, Las Caletas, and Mahajuitas beaches on the way - Yelapa was definitely the prettiest beach, although the farthest ride by quite a bit - half an hour from Boca, and a pretty rough ride. At the landing on the beach, there are a couple of restaurants with chairs right on the beach and hucksters for each of them came up to us offering us free drinks, etc. if we sit on their beach chairs and have lunch. Their chairs are not as packed together as at the beach in Zona Romantica, for instance, but still fairly close together. Instead, we walked to the left to the Hotel Lagunita, which had beach chairs spread out under palapa roofs. They let us sit there as long as we ordered drinks. It was exactly what we were looking for. We had lunch at their restaurant - much nicer than the restaurants right at the boat landing, although more expensive. As an added bonus, we saw Hilary Swank and her husband sitting at the restaurant.