Recommended restaurants in Puerto Vallarta

Jan 30th, 2002, 04:43 PM
anon

Recommended restaurants in Puerto Vallarta

Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in Puerto Vallarta -- some for fine dining, and some for traditional Mexican food? Thanks.

Jan 31st, 2002, 04:52 AM
tricia

Trio - Excellent. On Calle Guerrero Centro International Cuisine.

La Palapa - Intl. On the Beach at los Muertos Live Music.

Cafe de Artistes - Fancy - Intl.

Cafe de Olla - Mexican

Dona Celia - real Mexican

Tsunami - excellent Sushi

Tacos Marisma - fish and shrimp taco stand. Yummy

These are just a few of the zillion good restaurants in PV. It's actually hard to get a bad meal. There are mexican, french, italian, greek, spanish, japanese, etc.... and all price ranges.

Jan 31st, 2002, 08:08 AM
Christine

You've got to try Pipi's for traditional mexican food and awesome margaritas!

Jan 31st, 2002, 01:46 PM
anon

thanks for the info

Feb 1st, 2002, 01:31 PM
anon

another question, what's the dress code at nice PV restaurants? or does it vary by restaurant?

Feb 1st, 2002, 06:40 PM
Sas

Good restaurants in PV ...mmm, not enough room on this screen to mention them all. There are so many. From cheap (but really good) street taco stands to ultra-chic uppity expensive. You name it - it's there!
Las Brisas - very good food. You feel like you're in a tree house - excellent fajitas and bananas flambee.
Archi's Burgers - good fix if you're craving a non-Big Mac style burger.
Fidencios - on the beach - great people watching & good food.
Lindo Mar - the little patio restaurant - haven't been a couple of years but used to be GREAT - best piña coladas I've ever tasted.
Carisma - on Basilo Badillo - I can hardly speak about their chicken parmigiano without crying! Absolute perfection - have it with their pasta with pesto & you're sure to be in 7th heaven. Every year I go back I order the exact same thing - I don't even look at the menu. Incredible !

As for the dress code in PV - uh, what dress code ??? As long as you don't look like you've just been slam dunked by too many sneaky waves you'll be fine! No matter where you go you're always welcomed most graciously no matter what you look like! You will LOVE it there !

Feb 8th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Cheryl Z.

In addition to most of the above, we enjoy Le Bistro, Bogarts and Dacquiri Dick's also. You really can't miss.....there are soooo many to choose from!

Feb 9th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Ron

Two restaurants we really enjoyed are Cafe de Olla which serves Mexican food and The Blue Shrimp which served the best coconut shrimp we have ever had. Pipi's was a fun place, the food was ok but not great.

Feb 11th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Tom

Really enjoyed the Kliff and Cafe Des Artistes

Feb 12th, 2002, 03:17 PM
anon

Thank you all for your suggestions

Feb 17th, 2002, 06:07 AM
mare

Just returned from PV--would highly recommend Trio, Chef Roger, LaPerla at Camino Real and Adobe Cafe. I do not recommend Pipi's and Archies Wok

Feb 17th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Mario

Excellent mexican dinners at "El Andariego".
Another popular place is, "The Brazil".
For breakfast, the best place in town hands down is "Memo's pancake house"

Mar 24th, 2002, 09:24 AM

Go to Mezza Luna in Old Town Puerto Vallarta.

Overall the best dining experience I have ever had. Recommended by the owner of the bed and breakfast we were staying at, my fiance and I went their two out of three nights. It has the most romantic atmosphere - kind of "mexican country" although it's an Italian restaurant. Seemed to be a lot of regulars there. The restaurant is small (I only counted eight tables), yellow and red stucco walls, wood beam ceilings, candles, open doors and windows, cement and stone floor. Great music--Mono, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis and others. There is also a very small bar. Oh and the food! The first night I had gorgonzla stuffed ravioli with capers, olives, garlic, cilantro, lemon and olive oil. I can't remember what my fiance had, but it was something similar. We also had a bottle of wine, cappacinos, salads (gorgonzala, walnut, basalmic vinegar) and garlic bread all for about $90. The staff were also very nice. I've eaten at a lot of great restaurants in my life, but the overall experience here for us was wonderful.

We also ate at Trios which I enjoyed. I had olive crusted snapper which was quite good. Afterwards we stopped by a place called Bistros for drinks. It is very "hip"--great atmosphere although I don't know anything about the food.

Mar 24th, 2002, 09:25 AM
jh

Go to Mezza Luna in Old Town Puerto Vallarta.

Overall the best dining experience I have ever had. Recommended by the owner of the bed and breakfast we were staying at, my fiance and I went their two out of three nights. It has the most romantic atmosphere - kind of "mexican country" although it's an Italian restaurant. Seemed to be a lot of regulars there. The restaurant is small (I only counted eight tables), yellow and red stucco walls, wood beam ceilings, candles, open doors and windows, cement and stone floor. Great music--Mono, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis and others. There is also a very small bar. Oh and the food! The first night I had gorgonzla stuffed ravioli with capers, olives, garlic, cilantro, lemon and olive oil. I can't remember what my fiance had, but it was something similar. We also had a bottle of wine, cappacinos, salads (gorgonzala, walnut, basalmic vinegar) and garlic bread all for about $90. The staff were also very nice. I've eaten at a lot of great restaurants in my life, but the overall experience here for us was wonderful.

We also ate at Trios which I enjoyed. I had olive crusted snapper which was quite good. Afterwards we stopped by a place called Bistros for drinks. It is very "hip"--great atmosphere although I don't know anything about the food.

Mar 25th, 2002, 11:58 AM
clarisa

dinner
Abode Cafe
The Red Cabbage (Remance district)
Cafe de Olla
Tino's Mariscos (in Pitillal)

breakfast
Papaya 3
Freddy's El Tucan
Memo's House of Pancakes

Mar 25th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Margo

Just returned from PV last week. We ate at Le Bistro, Chef Rogers, La Palapa, & La Perla. They were all very good. I highly recommend Le Bistro, La Palapa & Chef Rogers.

Mar 26th, 2002, 02:51 AM
tara

Clarisa and Margo--
Where did you stay? Could you walk to the above restaurants or did you take a taxi?

Mar 26th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Clarisa

Another message for Tara~ I have stayed at Casa Andrea ($70), Posada de Roger ($40), but also recommend Molino de Agua ($95). They are in 'old town' and walking distance to everything (oops except the restaurant Tino's I mentioned for seafood is out in Pitillal, an entirely different area and you'd need a cab or bus).

I'm a huge fan of that part of town and would never stay anywhere else in PV. I LOVE being able to walk everywhere and personally prefer the more normal Mexican atmosphere, over a resort scene.

Apr 1st, 2002, 02:02 PM
Basilo Badillo

The street named Basilo Badillo, south of the river in the old town neighborhood, has been recnetly dubbed, with good reason "Restaurant Row". From fine dining (Chef Roger) to taco stands on the street & everything in between. Take a walk and take your pick!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:32 AM
Jayne

We absolutely love Le Bistro. It has wonderful atmosphere for lunch or dinner. It looks totally different at night because there are little lights strewn through the trees and candles everywhere. If you are lucky there will be someone playing jazz music on the baby grand. If you order the filet mignon and shrimp, think about sharing because it is a lot of food I can also really recommend the Cuban Black Bean Soup........incredible!! Have fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO