Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Recommendations for Selva Negra Lodge (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/recommendations-for-selva-negra-lodge-721047/)

AllegraV Jul 15th, 2007 01:57 PM

Recommendations for Selva Negra Lodge

My boyfriend and I are thinking about spending 1-2 nights at Selva Negra Lodge in early Aug and wanted to know if anyone else had been there and had feedback on the hotel and surrounding areas. We want to be able to explore the area and read a few good recommendations on Selva Negra. Thoughts?

Here's a basic plan for the trip in case it helps give context to the question. Also, we'll have our own car so we're flexible on location. If you have any suggestions on the rest of the trip we'd love to hear them too.

1 night Leon
1 night on Volcan Telica
1 night ?? (Poneloya or Las Peñitas)
1 night Matagalpa (Selva Negra)
1 night Laguna De Apoyo (potential hike around Masaya)
1 night Granada
2 nights Isla Ometepe
1 night San Juan Del Sur
1 night Managua (next day morning flight)

Thanks in advance,
Allegra

tully Jul 15th, 2007 02:48 PM

I haven't stayed there but am going to NI in Oct so have been doing a lot of research. I remembered coming across this guy's website with at first stating it was nice then updating it saying the opposite. It's just one opinion but his site is: http://www.nicamigo.com/destinations.html

AllegraV Jul 15th, 2007 07:32 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! The pictures I've seen definitely made it look a little run down but it's always difficult to tell for sure.

Did you see any other 1st hand reviews while you were researching for your own trip? Are you still thinking about heading up to Matapalpa?

tully Jul 16th, 2007 04:00 AM

Allegra, no won't have time for that area unfortunately - just Granada and Morgan's Rock and a last night in Managua. I will update if I see any other reviews. I'd guess if you really want to see the area, 1 night or even 2 could be bearable, even if it has some issues. Have you decided where you're staying in Granada yet?

aprillilacs Jul 16th, 2007 01:10 PM

Allegra, I hope you don't mind my piggy-backing on your post. My husband and I have planned a trip to Nicaragua with our two 20-something children and their partners for the Christmas holiday period. Have just reserved 2 nights at a Selva Negra chalet as part of the trip, so I would also be interested in any comments on whether that's really a good idea.

We're also staying 4 nights at Piedras y Olas (Pelican Eyes) in San Juan del Sur, and 4 nights at Casa de la Merced in Granada. Will use Granada as a base to do daytrips to nearby areas, hopefully to include some kayaking, markets, and volcano walks.

We have about 5 more nights for just myself and my husband after the others fly back to the States, so would love to have recommendations for that part of the trip as well. We're thinking Leon and somewhere else, but not sure where.

We're also renting a car in Managua upon arrival and plan to keep it the whole 2 weeks.

AllegraV Jul 16th, 2007 08:02 PM

aprillilacs, no problem on the add-on question. It seems like there are a few people who are looking to travel to Nicaragua in the near future but not a lot of people who have been and are active on these message boards.

tully, we haven't decided on hotels in Granada yet but are trying to gather reviews on the hotels below that seems to appear the most frequently in reviews/message boards/magazines:

Hotel Patio del Malinche
La Gran Francia
Casa San Francisco
Hotel Alhambra
Hotel Plaza Colon
Hotel Colonial

Still trying to work out the best option and thinking about posting another thread (or adding to your Granada hotel tread) in case anyone has stayed at more than one. Did you end up booking one of he above?

Happy to report back to the broader group as soon as we get back with a trip report for everyone who is thinking about traveling to some of the same places.

Allegra

aprillilacs Jul 18th, 2007 08:17 AM

Allegra, have you checked out the Thorn Tree forum on lonelyplanet.com? Though I'm a big fan of the Fodors' forum and have used in extensively, it's a lot more active for Europe and Asia than it is for Central America (particularly Nicaragua!). Thorn Tree many postings on topics of interest to a traveler in Nicaragua. You might want to check it out if you haven't already.

AllegraV Jul 18th, 2007 05:09 PM

aprillilacs, I haven't checked out the Thorn Tree forum but I'm going to do it now. Thanks for the tip!