Recommendation for travel books about Guatemala

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just starting to plan a trip to Guatemala. I was about to buy the Lonely Planet Guide. I have read several reviews that the recent guide is not up to Lonely Planet standards. Can anyone recommend another guide to use for planning?
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM

I really don't like that Lonely Planet guide, but then their guides to Belize and Honduras aren't so hot, either. My favorite Guatemala guide is the Rough Guide which is also the newest. I also like the Moon Handbook. I'm heading back for my 6th visit to Guatemala in less than 7 weeks. Please keep us posted and be sure to post a travelogue when you get home. Happy trails!
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:04 PM

I used the Moon handbook for my 6 week trip last year and just bought the Moon: Peru for my upcoming trip. I find they have good background and cultural information, a wide variety of the very cheap to very expensive hotels and such so it can be used regardless of budget, and I personally appreciate the vegetarian restaurant recommendations. I was not at all disappointed during my trip following their suggestions.
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:55 AM

Our family used the Rough Guide and thought it was very good. My husband went and looked at a variety of guidebooks at Barnes and Noble. We were especially interested in the Mayan history and it has a good section on that.

We also had a Fodor's guide which I got free because I was quoted in a Word of Mouth section in another guide. It was a useful supplement but I would go with the Rough Guide.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Although it is not a travel guide, one of my favorite books on Guatemala is Guatemala Rainbow with photographs by Gianni Vecchiato. It is probably available at a large library and also Amazon. The photos of the people and the indigenous weavings are incredible. You can really educate yourself about these fine weavings before you go.
You almost do not need a travel guide if you will give questions to Fodorites on this forum.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM

I used Frommers Guatemala and was very happy with it. It's easy to read and had the information I needed. Enjoy