recent day trip to Coba?

Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster
recent day trip to Coba?

Has anyone taken a day trip to Coba from Cancun recently? Can you recommend a tour company? Do you think a 9 year old and 12 year old would enjoy the tour? Do you remember the cost? How long was the trip? Do they still allow climbing up the pyramid?Thanks.
Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:30 PM
I would guess that it's about a 2- 2/12 drive from Cancun to Coba.

Especially with 2 kids in tow, you might want to consider the flexibilty of renting a car and driving down yourself. Coba is an extremely spread out site, with a fair bit of hiking to the major attractions (they even hire out bicycles there!). And depending on what time of year you go, it can be very hot and humid. You can't see it all, so the keys to holding the kids' interest are probably to focus on a few sites and to travel at their pace, which won't be possible on a tour.

I know that climbing the pyramid at Chichen Itza has been forbidden since last year, but I don't know about Coba. But even if climbing is still permitted at Coba, I don't think that most tours would allot the considerable time required for going up and coming back down - although climbing the pyramid is something most kids would probably remember as one of the "neatest" parts of their visit.

Most kids would also be thrilled at feeding the crocodiles in the lake outside the Coba entrance (just down the road from the main parking lot) - a nearby souvenir stand sells chicken parts for the purpose (I am not making this up!)

By the way, you must pass right by Tulum to get to Coba - despite what other posts have declared recently, Tulum is worth a stop - if only because the physical setting is so spectacular - nowhere else can you see Mayan ruins highlighted against a backgound of that turquoise ocean. And it is perfectly possible to combine an early morning visit to Tulum (get there early to avoid the crowds!)- drive 1/2 hour to Coba - spend a few hours there - and get back to Cancun in one (fairly long) day.
Nov 25th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Look at the tour company Alltournative ( They have tours from Cancun to Coba... their website has all the information you need, and you can reserve online. I haven't gone yet myself (I'm going in December and will take the Coba Pac-Chen tour), but I've heard wonderful things about Alltournatives.

The trip I'm signing up for is an all-day trip, and costs about $90 (it includes all transportation, lunch, etc.) I believe you can still climb the pyramid at Coba.
Nov 26th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Having been on the Alltournative Coba Pac Chen tour I highly recommend it.
At Coba you are given time to climb the pyramid - IF you proceed there IMMEDIATELY after your Coba guide completes his talk. The pyramid is a long walk from the entrance so I recommend using the available transportation (which will cost you extra) - bicycles or pedi-cabs (2 people per pedi-cab). These will get you to the pyramid with ample time to climb. You can still make it walking BUT you will be rushed.

Search this Thread