Reccs for hotel in Monteverde, near Arenal?

Mar 8th, 2000, 07:44 PM
Julie

Reccs for hotel in Monteverde, near Arenal?

Hi - My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to CR this May, and are looking for suggestions for hotels in Monteverde and some place near the Arenal Volcano. We are looking to spend less than $80 per night, and would like something non-commercial, romantic, perhaps off-beat, with beautiful surroundings. Thanks!

Mar 10th, 2000, 01:50 PM
Martha

I've stayed just about everywhere in Monteverde and the place that best fits your criteria by far is the Sapo Dorado! They have a Web site somewhere....

Mar 11th, 2000, 05:06 PM
Julie

Thank you, Martha! That's actually the place I had in mind.
Do you think it is worth it to get one of the Sunset rooms with the view of the Lake? Thanks, Julie

Mar 12th, 2000, 05:09 PM
Martha

The Sunset rooms have a great view but when you're up in Monteverde, it's all a great view. I actually like the other cabins better because they have a nice little fireplace that's nice to light just before climbing into bed at night. Very romantic! They're also cheaper!!! Enjoy. Also, the Sapo Dorado has the best food anywhere in Monteverde and the dining room is very romantic at dinnertime. And you must check out the hummingbird gallery before you enter the Monteverde cloud forest....

Mar 12th, 2000, 05:12 PM
Martha

Me again. I forgot to mention...don't forget your binoculars. The birds are quite spectacular! And you can climb up to one of the Sunset cabins and use your binocs to look at the lake.

Mar 13th, 2000, 10:55 AM
lisa

We stayed at Arenal Lodge and liked it very much, but it may be a little above your price range. Wonderful views of the volcano, garden with lots of birds, and hiking/biking/horseback riding trails. Also a very good restaurant. We met several others in the area who stayed at Montana del Fuego, which I believe is less expensive, and they recommended it highly -- we drove by it and it looked nice -- little cabins with volcano views. It has a restaurant and a very good gift shop. Also, we drove to Arenal Observatory Lodge one day and that was a nice setting, but very difficult to get to due to long drive down a bumpy dirt road. Would NOT recommend Tabacon Lodge -- too commercial and institutional -- we stayed there one night and liked Arenal Lodge much better.

Apr 28th, 2000, 07:16 AM
Judy

We stayed at Los Lagos in Arenal. We could see the lava from our bed!

The first afternoon and evening Arenal was completely clear, a fantastic show as the sun set and we began to see the
burning rocks crashing down the mountain. We would never have seen it if we'd stayed in La Fortuna. I've talked to many people who made short visits since who were so disappointed.

We enjoyed the trails there too; hiking up the Rio de Lava and climbing the
lava fall at the top was an amazing experience. Wildlife was abundant,
particularly in the early morning on the El Congo Trail - howler and whiteface
monkeys, coatis, toucans by the flock, and the extraordinary scissor tailed
kite. We found it easy -and necessary--to hitch rides between the
campground/trailhead area and the hotel; that's a long, steep, and sunny 2k.

We found them on the web site of Monteverde: http://www.MONTEVERDEinfo.com/hotel_los_lagos.htm

You can find also maps of the area, and shortcuts to the not to be missed Monteverde cloud forest on this site.

In Monteverde we stayed at the friendly, and helpful Pension Santa Elena. It's clean, and reasonably priced. We preferred to save on the room, and invest in their tours: guide in the cloud forest, Sky Trek (a thrilling canopy tour), horseback in the mountain, Butterfly Garden, etc.

Resting on the beach was soothing after all this action!

Have fun!