Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

realistic cost of trip to the galapagos islands??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about how much would one expect to budget for a trip for 2 adults to the Galapagos islands? airfare, lodging, cruise, activities, food, etc. during high season? thanks!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:15 AM

Hi - it really depends upon a lot of factors you didn't mention - how many nights on the cruise? (3/5/7?) What class of ship? Where are you starting from?
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your reply. not sure how long it would be lets pick 5 nights to go middle of the road. a larger boat would be best, least expensive options, too. would be leaving from Boston.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM

Having gone on a small boat for 16 guests for 6 full days I can tell you that was entirely too much. I would say 3 full days on 4 islands would be more than enough.That may not be available and you may have to choose 3 or 5 nights. If so, I would choose 3 nights. On a smaller boat for 30 passengers in A/C cabins of 150sq.ft. with an anthropologist it should rage from $400-$750/day based on our trip 7 years ago, would be my guess. That is going 3 star level not backpack type. An exciting side trip if you budget can afford it is a 3 day trip on the Amazon from Equador after the cruise. My guess in todays dollars it would run $1200+/- with air, room/board and exciting cruise , small ship preferable, on the Amazon.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM

i was on the samba for 7 nights and i thought it was great. it all depends on what your interests are but our itinerary took in many of the western islands. which some of the bigger ships don't go to. the samba is considered tourist class and cost about $2200, all inclusive ex for tipping & wet suit rental. it was a pretty basic boat but it had A/C, we ate well and our guide was amazing. i think anything less than tourist class will be uncomfortable.

i flew on miles, so i can't tell you what airfare is. lodging is all over the map. if you want to stay in a homey b&b, it could be $60 or more if you stay in a western hotel.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:07 PM

I can't recall costs but wish we'd done a longer trip than the 4 days we did a couple of years back.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM

I did the 7 day trip and I am glad I did.

I saw more islands, more animals and birds and more sites in general.

It is a place you probably will only go once ...so see all you can at the time.

Percy

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM

If you are a birder, have an interest in natural history, or are a photographer or any combination thereof, I would recommend a 7-10 day trip. Less time if you have less interest in these subjects. We travel to take picture and see the sights and went on an 11 day trip and had a great time. Did not wish it was shorter. My mother also went, did not fall into any of the above categories, but she also had a great time. We were a small group (15) with a great trip leader and guide. Obviously, price will be dictated by the length of your trip.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM

In general the smaller the boat the less expensive - and the cruises are either 3 nights, 4 nights, or 7.

I really urge you to read Barry Boyce's Travelers Guide to the Galapagos as it clearly outlines the boat options (and the ranking system to determine budget versus luxury) island hopping options, animal life per island, etc. We found it extremely helpful in choosing our cruise - size of boat, where it was going, etc.

Here's a link to Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Guid.../dp/1588433897

Here's a link to a small boat that is classed "Tourist Superior Class A" - we met the family who own this boat while we were in Puerto Ayora and toured it - it's spotlessly clean and the owners are lovely (subsequently friends of ours went on this boat which was a coincidence) - this is a moderately priced option

http://yatefloreana.com/