Re: best places to snorkel in Puerto Vallarta

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 09:27 AM
Shelley

Re: best places to snorkel in Puerto Vallarta

Hi! We will be in PV for our first time in a couple of months. Just wondering where the best snorkelling areas are. There seems to be so many different types of tours. Someone mentioned Los Arcos, Marietas Islands, Yelepa etc. Any opinions please! Thank-you.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 09:02 AM
mexicodan

I suggest the Marietas Islands if skin diving. Snorkeling is fun at the arches and in the Mismaloya bay area south of town. The Yalapa boat trip is ok but I don't think there is any good snorkeling in that area. More of a day boat trip for tourists. Get a copy of the Pacific Mexico Handbook by Bruce Whipperman. It covers everything in that area. Better yet, he just published a Puerto Vallarta handbook. Web sites of interest are: puertovallarta.com, vallartatoday.com, puerto-vallarta.com, and vallarta-info.com.

adios!

mexicodan
www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 12:25 AM
Pancho

I am an avid snorkeler. Trust me, you wil be very disappointed in snorkeling on the Pacific coast. I have snorkeled ( tried to ) at Los Arcos and various other places in and around Puerto Vallarta. The water is very murky ( typical west coast Pacific Ocean and colorful sea life is non existent.

The Cancun area and some areas around La Paz are the best for snorkeling in Mexico.

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 07:21 AM
GP

Hi Shelley.

I was in the PV area last October. Went on a snorkeling trip set up by the La Jolla de Mismaloya Hotel. I have snorkeled on three of the Hawaiian Islands, off Southern Calif. (In the 60's) and Belize. The snorkling trip went to Los Arcos and then south with 3 more stops the snorkling was fair at best. But the boat ride, all you can drinks and lunch for $55.00 US was a deal and fun. We were staying at Mismaloya so it was easy for us to do I would try the Marietas if I were you.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 07:36 AM
LAURIE

MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE TRAVELLED TO PV SEVERAL TIMES. IT IS ONE OF OUR FAVORITE PLACES, HOWEVER, IF YOU'RE GOING FOR THE SNORKELING, YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED. IT JUST ISN'T GREAT. THE BEST WE FOUND WAS ABOAT TRIP TO LOS ARCOS. WE RENTED A SAILBOAT FOR THE DAY, BUT THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF WATER TOURS. INQUIRE AT YOUR HOTEL, OR PICK UP A TOURIST MAGAZINE. WE NEVER MADE IT TO MARIETAS ISLAND, BECAUSE IT IS A FAIRLY LONG TRIP. IF YOU PLAN IT, MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE EARLY IN THE MORNING. THE BEST SNORKELING AT LOS ARCOS WAS RIGHT OFF THE BOAT. ANOTHER YEAR WE RENTED A SAILBOAT FOR THE DAY AND HEADED NORTH TOWARDS PUNTA DE MIDA (MAY NOT BE THE RIGHT SPELLING) AND SNORKELLED FROM THE BOAT. THAT WAS ALSO EXCELLENT, BUT AGAIN IT WAS A PRIVATE CHARTER NOT A TOUR. PV IS TRULY A FABULOUS PLACE, BUT NOT A GREAT SNORKELING LOCATION. BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MARIACHI LOCOS, IN THE CENTER OF TOWN WITH LOTS OF LOUD MUSIC, ETC. FOR AN EXCEPTIONAL MEAL, VERY UPSCALE, TRY CAFE DES ARTISTES IN THE CENTER OF TOWN. MAYBE ONE OF THE BEST RESTAURANTS IN THE WORLD, ALTHOUGH I HAVEN'T TRIED THEM ALL. CALL FOR RESERVATIONS AND SEE IF YOU CAN GET A TABLE IN THE SCULPTURE GARDEN! INCREDIBLE. SEE IF BOB THE SCOTTISH FLOUTIST IS PLAYING, HE'S GREAT. HE ALSO PLAYS AT LAS PALAPA ON MUERTOS BEACH OVER THE BRIDGE, ANOTHER FABULOUS RESTAURANT RIGHT ON THE BEACH. YOU CAN WALK THE MALECON, FROM THE CENTER OF TOWN, DON'T BOTHER WITH A TAXI. YOU CAN ALSO HAVE AN INCREDIBLE BREAKFAST AT LA PALAPA, RIGHT ON THE BEACH AGAIN, DON'T LEAVE WITHOUT TRYING THEIR SPECIAL BREAKFAST DRINK (NO ALCOHOL) CALLED PAPAGAYOS. THE BEST THING YOU'VE EVER TASTED. HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 11:10 AM
karen

Hi, Shelley -

Pancho and others are correct. There is no really good snorkeling in Puerta Vallarta. We were terribly disappointed until we were told that, like Pancho said, the snorkeling is pretty bad on the Pacific coast. If you want great snorkeling, try the U.S. and British Virgin Islands - remarkable! The waters are warm, the fish plentiful, colorful and so very much to see. St. John is our favorite. Actually, we didn't find the waters to be all that great in Puerto Vallarta at all.