COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

Old Jul 14th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Rainsong Wildlife Sanctuary - Montezuma - NO BUENO

The owner is rude and unhelpful and appears to be most interested in getting the donation and requesting the signature of two petitions to support her organization.

The interiors of the cages are lacking of anything natural but dead branches without leaves. Some conditions are abhorrent, especially the turtles sitting in shallow buckets with ½ inch of filthy water and what appears to be flakes of old vegetables. Even more sad, we were told they would not be released until 12-15 more were received.

The tours are completely unorganized and unprofessional. Solid answers for the condition of the animals (some babies, some adults) and reason they are captive and/or if they are releasable are either not given or are unknown. There was a recent release made by a past volunteer of some of the animals and I can understand why. It’s best for them to have a small chance in the wild than to be kept under those circumstances.

I have been to several rehabilitation centers around Costa Rica and this one is simply not satisfactory in its present state.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Oh, hip, that sounds terrible and depressing, especially for the poor animals. I hope the rest of your trip has been better.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 03:11 AM

That sounds awful....it's sad to see a place that comes off as a rehabilitation center and in reality it's probably just looking for money and not helping the animals at all. Maybe the word will get out and something will be done to make the conditions better for the animals.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

It was really sad. In fact I couldn't wait to get out as soon as I arrived. I will post a few more details in my trip report. I ran into an owner of Osa Wildlife Sanctuary (he was on vacay for 1 night at BDC) and he was completely aware of this place and eluded that there were people trying to shut it down.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 09:04 AM

We had a similar encounter in Belize. We were on some property, and there was a monkey on a chain that looked so sad. Our guide said that people had reported it and complained to have the monkey taken away, and it was, but two days later it was back because the owner had some sort of connections. Very heartbreaking to see things like that.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Good that you are informing us about this tragedy.!

You wonder why in a wildlife Sanctuary , animals and birds are treated this way.

Thanks for the heads up info.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:09 AM

Yes, thanks ever so much, hip. I wonder who to complain to? If anyone.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:29 AM

Thanks for reporting about this hip. It's sad this person probably collects donations for their own use with the care of animals being an afterthought.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Thought I'd provide the readers of this discussion the link to another forum where this has recently been discussed at length. Again, for the same reasons as I did in the other forum, for the good of the animals. Seems that hipvirgochick's negative experience at Rainsong is leading people to believe that the sanctuary is collecting puny $5 donations for the good of the owner, and this is simply not the case. Rather than reiterate what has already been said, you can read it at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...untarenas.html.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Actually I don't believe that in this post nor on TA did I make any comment she was running the business for the $5 donation. What I said is that she barked out the question if I knew about the donation and then proceeded to avoid any type of conversation or communication about the animals there and that the tour was poorly led, and some conditions were questionable, etc. You have every right to come to the defense of Rainsong as well as I to post about my experience.

Instead of $5 donations and drop in tours I suggested more organized tours at set times requesting larger donations in order to staff and run this place more efficiently if it is to remain open. I'm not sure how you turned this into me saying she is getting rich off $5 donations.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

After rereading both threads I do see how my wording could elude to the notion the owner is doing this for monetary reasons so I will clarify how I meant it to be read, which is that the main thing the owner seemed available for was to mention the donation requirement when I first walked in, and was unapproachable or seemed bothered by any other questions.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM

I thought the discussion on the other forum was well-balanced, informative, with some great ideas of change on your part, and wanted to give others the opportunity to read it so they could see all sides of the issue. I wholeheartedly agree with your ideas about improvements! Hopefully they are taken to heart by Rainsong.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Instead of spending precious time defending itself,Rainsong needs to make some concrete changes, it seems. That is what caring, responsive organiztions do.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 01:50 PM

Cattail, who from Rainsong is "spending precious time defending itself"? They have not replied to any thread on this subject, as far as I can see. Geoff, who replied once on the other forum, is involved in many different projects in our community, but certainly does not work for them. I simply live in the area, have visited the sanctuary various times, and also have sent clients there who all enjoyed it. I was just giving my opinion, as hipvirgochick did. I, for one, appreciate that we have a local sanctuary to take rescued and injured animals and know first-hand how much Mary does for the animals in this area. Is this not what these forums are for? To be able to express more than one opinion of one person?
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 08:31 AM

I was lucky enough to have the possibility to spend two weeks volunteering at Rainsong between Jan and Feb 2012. I knew it was not for the faint hearted – but what animal shelter is? Taking care of animals in need is, however, the most rewarding thing ever. It was hard work – the heat is not to be underestimated, it’s quite easy to get dehydrated – but together with my husband, we enjoyed every minute of it. Whilst we were there, we had the luck of releasing an iguana (that had got lost in a shopping mall!) and a squirrel, and we took pictures and a video of the two events. The iguana was apparently a female carrying many eggs, which was pretty exciting in itself - she was released at Raisong farm, just up the road from the sanctuary, whilst Rambo the squirrel was released at the sanctuary and didn’t enjoy his newly found freedom, so much so that he’s now back in his enclosure and waiting to get released again, probably against his will! Every animal at Raisong has his/her own personality, and we learnt how to approach and care for all of them. Mary was sometimes busy with her online activities as an animal activist, and she mostly trusted us to do the job by ourselves, although she was always at hand to advise and assist us when needed. I wish Mary and the animals all the best –I don’t know how she copes with the task day in day out, I only know I couldn’t and that alone should be a good reason to appreciate her!
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM

For anyone looking for a wonderful animal rescue and rehabilitation shelter, we recently visited Proyecto Asis near the Arenal area, and it was wonderful with a very caring staff. We got to feed some of the monkeys, a sloth, and some macaws. You can tell that they really care about the animals. We visited through Desafio's Culture and Conservation tour.