Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Raining! Weather next week in Cancun/Maya Riviera?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/raining-weather-next-week-in-cancun-maya-riviera-922543/)

silvermist3 Feb 3rd, 2012 02:22 PM

Raining! Weather next week in Cancun/Maya Riviera??

Hi,

Just checked weather in Cancun/Riviera Maya and it says its been raining all week, and will rain for the next 2 weeks on the 10 day forecast!

I was about to book a last minute trip over Vday week, but am now worried about being rained out...is it common to rain this much everyday in Feb?!

Is anyone there who can comment? Is this kind of rain all day downpours or light quick showers then sun again? There is a chance it could be sunny again as this is a long 10 day forecast but trying to assess the risks...

Really would appreciate thoughts on this as it would be horrible to book for a rained out trip!

Kristy88 Feb 3rd, 2012 02:45 PM

I'm no expert, but I know this isn't the typical rainy season for Riviera Maya so I can imagine they will just be short lasting showers if anything.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Feb 3rd, 2012 07:33 PM

I'm watching the weather right now. There's some kind of low pressure system hanging over the Caribbean, causing quite a bit of rain over the Yucatan and Central America. It's been raining off and on tonight here in San Jose, Costa Rica, very unusual for early February. It's supposed to be like this for the next several days.

It's hard to say what you should do, or if it will still be like this a week from now. Any other destinations that appeal to you?

qwovadis Feb 4th, 2012 02:37 AM

weather2travel.com Climate guides give you monthly patterns
sort of unusual not unheard of fronts come and go.
Odds are great you will see plenty of sun albeit off and on.

qwovadis Feb 4th, 2012 02:40 AM

Cabo Mexico and Kohala Coast konaweb.com Hawaii my 2 favs for low no rain worldwide in almost any season. Direct flights to Kona from LAX 4 hours princereortshawaii.com 1 week with air car hotel $1kpp for me last priceline.com

JeanH Feb 4th, 2012 05:18 AM

It rained almost all day yesterday here on Ambergris Caye in Belize. Pretty boring day.

This morning the sun is shining and it's absolutely lovely.

suze Feb 4th, 2012 07:16 AM

It's really hard to judge the true weather from online forecasts (sometimes what looks like rain all day every day, means only that a storm front is blowing thru or there are occasional showers). February is not the rainy season so it does seem odd.

Maybe post your question over on Trip Advisor and see if you can get answers from people who are actually there now to verify.

jamie99 Feb 4th, 2012 11:34 AM

There is at least one person down there right now posting daily weather reports from Akumal on TA, good idea suze.

kevandlibk Feb 5th, 2012 05:30 AM

jamie99..I am headed to Akumal in 4 days and so bummed about the forecase...where on TA do I find this person reporting from Akumal? Can't figure it out! Thanks!

emd3 Feb 5th, 2012 06:29 AM

Go to the forums on Tripadvisor (click on MORE at the top, and then on Travel Forums). from there, go to Mexico forums, then to Yucatan forum. Scroll through the threads, there are several on thne rainy weather.

I am bummed as I am heading down for our annual condo owner's meeting this week. Meeting is in in PDC but I am staying in Puerto Morelos since our condo is booked. It does look like a lot of rain is there and is coming throughout this week.

colokid Feb 5th, 2012 06:48 AM

It's a beautiful day on the webcam. First time in awhile.

colokid Feb 5th, 2012 06:50 AM

You can see for yourself each day, as I do with my coffee when I'm not there, here:

http://www.webcamsdemexico.com/webca...el-carmen.html

and

here:

http://www.webcamsdemexico.com/webca...a-avenida.html

jamie99 Feb 5th, 2012 11:23 AM

kevandlibk

Go to the Akumal forums (subset of Yucatan Peninsula forums) and look for posts from VancouverSundog, he is down there right now at the ABR. You can also look at the webcam at Locogringo.com as well. It varies a lot down there, might rain in one area and not others, have sat eating a nice dinner on Isla Mujeres and watching it rain like crazy across in Cancun.

zootsi Feb 5th, 2012 12:17 PM

We just got back from 8 days in Akumal. Every day had at least a few hours of sun and temps in the 80's. Typically mostly sunny until about 2:00, and then some clouds move in. However, this past Friday was totally overcast and somewhat rainy. I've been coming here for years and that's the first really washout day I've seen. Flying back, it seemed the whole Caribbean & southern US coast was covered in a thick cloud cover. However, it would be very unlikely to have a whole week of bad weather.

LHS Feb 8th, 2012 05:47 AM

The webcam links colokid provided above also shows hourly snapshots of the last 24 hours. I've been watching to see what a 40% precipitation forecast turns out as.

emd3 Feb 8th, 2012 07:24 AM

I am on an Air Tran flight now en route to Cancun, then on to Puerto Morelos. Everyone on this flight is hoping for sunshine...
(I love inflight internet on Air Tran. Why don't all airines offer it?)

TC Feb 9th, 2012 04:47 AM

I am sitting in Cozumel and have been here all week. I can see Playa and Cancun from my balcony. Here's how the weather has been this week:
- beautiful days - mid to high 70s and sunny or just a bit cloudy. Perfect for tanning without dying from the heat.
- around 4-6 in the afternoon some amazingly beautiful thunderheads have moved in, making for spectacular sunsets.
- we have had some serious rain in the middle of the nights a couple of times.
- earlier rain showers have lasted no more than 10-15 minutes. Not serious enough to drive people from the pool.

Hope this helps.