Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Rainfall in August; is it too daunting in CRica rainforest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning our fourth trip to Costa Rica in mid-August., but we've always gone in the "dry" season. I've been considering Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui , Manuel Antonio (never been--always chose the Osa Peninsula, but that seems even more rainy, and such a schlep!), Hacienda Baru, and maybe Wilson Botanical Garden (always wanted to go there.) Our main interest is wildlife in the rainforest, so I'm not that interested in the Nicoya, which would have a little drier weather. I'm just wondering if the rainfall (especially the Sarapiqui area, and Wilson Bot. Garden area) would be just too daunting to enjoy the area--flooded trails, the wildlife hunkered down and invisible... Any first-hand experience would be appreciated!
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Go in July August a lot PM rain daily

Do most stuff in AM works fine...

October/November are the worst...

You should be fine...
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Have you checked out the rain weather map at www.costa-rica-guide.com? It lets you mouse over different regions to see the rainfall you can expect during specific months. We've done Manuel Antonio in July and did get afternoon rain but nothing that stopped our plans. We just got an early start and came back in during the afternoon rains and headed out again for dinner. We've also done the Osa in July and surprisingly didn't get any rain at all.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM

We went to Wilson Bot. Gardens in Feb. and it rained heavily. So, you never can tell. We went to Rainmaker at MA. in Nov. and again got soaked (Maybe that's why they call it Rainmaker?) All that green has to come from somewhere.

Aside...we didn't think Wilson Bot. Gardens was anything special and not worth the trip up there. I'll be interested in hearing your opinion.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM

We went for two weeks in August a few years ago and did: Rio Pacuare, the Carribbean coast, and Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui area.

While we did definitely have some rainy days, it really didn't put too much a hold on things (it was never all day every day type of rain, just more intermittent downpours) and we were able to find some things to do that we might not otherwise have done: a visit to the excellent sloth sanctuary along the Carribbean coast is one example of this. (www.slothrescue.org)

I recommend the rainforest preserve in the Sarapiqui area. We had an excellent guided tour. (Tirimbina Rainforest Center)

Just be sure to bring a raincoat...we certainly got caught in the rain a few times but it never ruined our whole day. I would recommend renting a car for the same reason: it makes it much easier to get around if it is raining.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 06:17 AM

We spent a week in MA in August. Had the usual showers starting around 2 pm which lasted until about 5 or so. Mornings were sunny and clear and stayed in the 80sF. Only one time would I call the showers a real downpour. We just did most of our activities in the early part of the day and didn't feel like we missed anything. We did find that a lot of tours/activities were not offered in the afternoons because of the expected rain, but we just planned around that.